Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Acronis PC Backup and Recovery

Acronis PC Backup and Recovery

Alasdair

I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was
very old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image
Home 2010 PC Backup and Recovery.

Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
than, Norton Ghost?

--
Alasdair.

Meat Plow

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:38:45 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

> I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
> backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was very
> old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image Home 2010
> PC Backup and Recovery.
>
> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
> satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
> than, Norton Ghost?

Worked perfect for me several times.

thanatoid

Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard
> drives for backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK
> said Norton Ghost was very old fashioned and sold me
> another product, Acronis True Image Home 2010 PC Backup and
> Recovery.
>
> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found
> it satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good
> as, or better than, Norton Ghost?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

I use Acronis from 2003. It came free with a British computer
magazine. It has never given me any trouble, and it is under
10MB.

I have read a lot of complaints about the recent versions - they
are bloated like everything new, and unless you read the
(presumably 250-page) manual, you may be in trouble.

I don't think there is a lot of difference between the "current"
version of Ghost and Acronis AFA functionality. I'm just glad I
have the version I have.

There are several similar /free/ utilities on:

http://freeware.intrastar.net/

In the sys tools section. The site looks like it was designed in
1996, which it probably was, but it is up to date (/some/ lnks
are dead, but there ARE new links from 2010) and it is one of
the best freeware sites out there, IMO.

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) Alasdair
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
> satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
> than, Norton Ghost?

I used the product Acronis sold before "True Image" came out to clone my
laptop drive and it worked fine. On the other hand if you've used Ghost
and were happy with it, there's no obvious reason to change.

I'm currently using True Image 2009 on 2 PCs for nightly backups. I use
their "image mode" backup which isn't a complete "clone" of the drive,
resulting in a smaller backup file.

If Acronis' earlier policy still holds, you can download their products
and try them out for 30 days at no charge. The trial copies are
completely functional.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

chuckcar

Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
> backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was
> very old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image
> Home 2010 PC Backup and Recovery.
>
> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
> satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
> than, Norton Ghost?

Sounds to me like you need to tune out computer salesmen. The next time
one comes up to you when your browsing and asks if you need help, look
him/her straight in the eye and say "no". Do research into the features
of the different software in the market you're planning on buying
*before* you think of going to a store.

A backup is a copy of the files you need to keep a copy of in case/when
your hard drive dies. The operating system's backup is your installation
CD. The same goes for any separate packages you may have. Making copies
of *those* disks is prudent however. As for what remains, that's the
files you've created and/or downloaded from somewhere. What's wrong with
just dumping them to closed session CD's? You'll use less disks and
won't be stuck if you change your computer hardware. XP/Vista/W7 won't
boot if you do a restore of the old installation. In addition, you have
no guarantee that the OS you backup is not corrupted. Corruption in MS
consumer operating systems is never obvious.

The other thing to remember is to write down *all* the settings for your
email and internet programs. That includes but is not limited to the server
names, ports, protocols user names and passwords.

Keep any backups in a completely different room than the one the computer
is in - in case of fire/flood/etc. And if possible at a different address.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 12:38:17 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

>> I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
>> backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was
>> very old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image Home
>> 2010 PC Backup and Recovery.
>>
>> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
>> satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
>> than, Norton Ghost?
>>

> Sounds to me like you need to tune out computer salesmen. The next time
> one comes up to you when your browsing and asks if you need help, look
> him/her straight in the eye and say "no".

WTF??

Meat Plow

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:16:09 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

> Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
>> backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was
>> very old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image Home
>> 2010 PC Backup and Recovery.
>>
>> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
>> satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
>> than, Norton Ghost?
>>
>> --
>> Alasdair.

> I use Acronis from 2003. It came free with a British computer magazine.
> It has never given me any trouble, and it is under 10MB.

Acronis Migrate Easy (or Easy Migrate) is for cloning drives. I first
used it in 2005. The thing about new versions is that they continue to
support more and more hardware.

Bucky Breeder

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> via

> Sounds to me like you need to tune out computer salesmen.

Yes, you should re-format your hearing aids using someone
from one of those weekly yard-sales papers. If you have
the brain implants, you can merely do that with a toaster.
Google for "Hacking Toasters for Dummies"... get the
'Cliff's Notes" version, becauze skool is fer retrads.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

Please conserve the interwebs :

http://preview.tinyurl.com/23hgep5

http://tinyurl.com/23hgep5

freemont

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:38:45 +0100, Alasdair writ:

> I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
> backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was very
> old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image Home 2010
> PC Backup and Recovery.
>
> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
> satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
> than, Norton Ghost?

I don't see Clonezilla mentioned in any responses. I've used it for years
to image multiple standalone computers and never had a problem with it.
It doesn't do all the hand-holding that the commercial products do,
though.

http://clonezilla.org/
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
⁂ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:

Lofty

news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...