Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Kerio Personal Firewall - how to use with a LAN?

Kerio Personal Firewall - how to use with a LAN?

JD

Hi Experts,

I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
great for the Internet but it is blocking
a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
its own firewall. I read through the instructions
but they give no indication how to poke a hole
through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7. If
anyone knows how, please advise.

If both boxes are connected to the Internet, the
Kerio firewall blocks the LAN communications. When
I shut Kerio down I can communicate on the LAN but
there is one glitch.

Shares were setup.

On Win7 the share is \\Box\share - it was labeled
by Win 7 as Share (\\Box) (Y
and it showed X Share1 (\\Box1) (Z. The X
was in red showing that there was
something wrong there - related to Win2K - Box1.
On the Win 7 I could see the Win 7 and Win2K
shares on Box1 and access both of them.

For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1
On it, I could see both folders - Box1 was
already on Win2K but the Box folder (from Win 7)
was there and not accessible. The same 2 admins
are listed on both boxes so I can't see why either
would be denied admission on Box.

Help would be appreciated.

TIA

David H. Lipman

From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hi Experts,

| I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
| great for the Internet but it is blocking
| a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
| starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
| its own firewall. I read through the instructions
| but they give no indication how to poke a hole
| through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7. If
| anyone knows how, please advise.

| If both boxes are connected to the Internet, the
| Kerio firewall blocks the LAN communications. When
| I shut Kerio down I can communicate on the LAN but
| there is one glitch.

| Shares were setup.

| On Win7 the share is \\Box\share - it was labeled
| by Win 7 as Share (\\Box) (Y
| and it showed X Share1 (\\Box1) (Z. The X
| was in red showing that there was
| something wrong there - related to Win2K - Box1.
| On the Win 7 I could see the Win 7 and Win2K
| shares on Box1 and access both of them.

| For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1
| On it, I could see both folders - Box1 was
| already on Win2K but the Box folder (from Win 7)
| was there and not accessible. The same 2 admins
| are listed on both boxes so I can't see why either
| would be denied admission on Box.

| Help would be appreciated.

Allow NetBIOS over IP (TCP/UDP pots 135 ~ 139 and 445) on the LAN side and block them on
the WAN/LAN barrier.

--
Dave

JD

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | Hi Experts,
>
> | I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
> | great for the Internet but it is blocking
> | a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
> | starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
> | its own firewall. I read through the instructions
> | but they give no indication how to poke a hole
> | through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7. If
> | anyone knows how, please advise.
>
> | If both boxes are connected to the Internet, the
> | Kerio firewall blocks the LAN communications. When
> | I shut Kerio down I can communicate on the LAN but
> | there is one glitch.
>
> | Shares were setup.
>
> | On Win7 the share is \\Box\share - it was labeled
> | by Win 7 as Share (\\Box) (Y
> | and it showed X Share1 (\\Box1) (Z. The X
> | was in red showing that there was
> | something wrong there - related to Win2K - Box1.
> | On the Win 7 I could see the Win 7 and Win2K
> | shares on Box1 and access both of them.
>
> | For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1
> | On it, I could see both folders - Box1 was
> | already on Win2K but the Box folder (from Win 7)
> | was there and not accessible. The same 2 admins
> | are listed on both boxes so I can't see why either
> | would be denied admission on Box.
>
> | Help would be appreciated.
>
> Allow NetBIOS over IP (TCP/UDP pots 135 ~ 139 and 445) on the LAN side and block them on
> the WAN/LAN barrier.

Thanks David but I would need more info. I am much
more familiar with TCP/IP than with NetBios. I
read through two textbooks on NetBios and
concluded that they were mostly copied from other
sources and very unclear. Do you know of any
source that is very clear on this topic?

David H. Lipman

From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> | Hi Experts,

>> | I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
>> | great for the Internet but it is blocking
>> | a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
>> | starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
>> | its own firewall. I read through the instructions
>> | but they give no indication how to poke a hole
>> | through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7. If
>> | anyone knows how, please advise.

>> | If both boxes are connected to the Internet, the
>> | Kerio firewall blocks the LAN communications. When
>> | I shut Kerio down I can communicate on the LAN but
>> | there is one glitch.

>> | Shares were setup.

>> | On Win7 the share is \\Box\share - it was labeled
>> | by Win 7 as Share (\\Box) (Y
>> | and it showed X Share1 (\\Box1) (Z. The X
>> | was in red showing that there was
>> | something wrong there - related to Win2K - Box1.
>> | On the Win 7 I could see the Win 7 and Win2K
>> | shares on Box1 and access both of them.

>> | For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1
>> | On it, I could see both folders - Box1 was
>> | already on Win2K but the Box folder (from Win 7)
>> | was there and not accessible. The same 2 admins
>> | are listed on both boxes so I can't see why either
>> | would be denied admission on Box.

>> | Help would be appreciated.

>> Allow NetBIOS over IP (TCP/UDP pots 135 ~ 139 and 445) on the LAN side and block them
>> on
>> the WAN/LAN barrier.

| Thanks David but I would need more info. I am much
| more familiar with TCP/IP than with NetBios. I
| read through two textbooks on NetBios and
| concluded that they were mostly copied from other
| sources and very unclear. Do you know of any
| source that is very clear on this topic?

No. NetBIOS is just a protocol that is tranported via TCP/IP and is the basis of most
Windows networking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbios

--
Dave

JD

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> Allow NetBIOS over IP (TCP/UDP pots 135 ~ 139 and 445) on the LAN side and block them
>>> on
>>> the WAN/LAN barrier.

> | Thanks David but I would need more info. I am much
> | more familiar with TCP/IP than with NetBios. I
> | read through two textbooks on NetBios and
> | concluded that they were mostly copied from other
> | sources and very unclear. Do you know of any
> | source that is very clear on this topic?
>
> No. NetBIOS is just a protocol that is tranported via TCP/IP and is the basis of most
> Windows networking.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbios

Thanks David.

I have done lots of reading on this topic, including 2 textbooks, the
Wiki NetBios, and in all cases, it seemed to me that the authors did not
understand the situation or were just incompetent writers.

I am now buying a crossover cable to connect the boxes.

David H. Lipman

From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Thanks David.

| I have done lots of reading on this topic, including 2 textbooks, the
| Wiki NetBios, and in all cases, it seemed to me that the authors did not
| understand the situation or were just incompetent writers.

| I am now buying a crossover cable to connect the boxes.

Why ?

Why use a X-Over cable vs. a OTC hub or Ethernet switch ?

What is your objective ?

--
Dave

JD

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> | Thanks David.
>
> | I have done lots of reading on this topic, including 2 textbooks, the
> | Wiki NetBios, and in all cases, it seemed to me that the authors did not
> | understand the situation or were just incompetent writers.
>
> | I am now buying a crossover cable to connect the boxes.
>
> Why ?
>
> Why use a X-Over cable vs. a OTC hub or Ethernet switch ?
>
> What is your objective ?

Convenience. It cost about $9, I bought it locally, and I am fed up of
trying to bust a firewall.

David H. Lipman

From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> | Thanks David.

>> | I have done lots of reading on this topic, including 2 textbooks, the
>> | Wiki NetBios, and in all cases, it seemed to me that the authors did not
>> | understand the situation or were just incompetent writers.

>> | I am now buying a crossover cable to connect the boxes.

>> Why ?

>> Why use a X-Over cable vs. a OTC hub or Ethernet switch ?

>> What is your objective ?

| Convenience. It cost about $9, I bought it locally, and I am fed up of
| trying to bust a firewall.

So, the two boxes will ONLY communicate between themselves via File and Print Shares ?

--
Dave

JD

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> From: "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> Why ?

>>> Why use a X-Over cable vs. a OTC hub or Ethernet switch ?

>>> What is your objective ?

> | Convenience. It cost about $9, I bought it locally, and I am fed up of
> | trying to bust a firewall.
>
> So, the two boxes will ONLY communicate between themselves via File and Print Shares ?

By switching two plugs both boxes go online again.
However, they still don't communicate any better
than previously.

I have found some holes in Kerio firewall but,
astonishingly, no matter what I do I cannot get
access to the share on the Win 7 from Win2K.
Always - No Access. It's the same story with the
crossover cable. I have the same 2 admins on each
box and on the Win 7 they have given complete
access to the files. The Win 7 firewall is
supposed to be completely open for local networks.
That reminds me to knock down that firewall for a
test.

Ari Silverstein

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 15:03:39 -0700, JD wrote:

> For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1

FYI, we dumped all our Win2K boxes to XP because we couldn't get
reliable, trouble-free interchange between them and XP. Win2k-Win2k
fine, XP-XP fine; Win2K-XP crap.

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't still the case with the newer
OS.
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj