Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: subprocess escaping POpen?!

Re: subprocess escaping POpen?!

Chris Withers

Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> On Donnerstag 05 August 2010, Chris Withers wrote:
>> But why only the request for auth credentials?

> for security reasons I suppose - make sure a human enters
> the password

Well yes, but what if you actually want to script it?

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Grant Edwards

On 2010-08-05, Chris Withers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
>> On Donnerstag 05 August 2010, Chris Withers wrote:
>>> But why only the request for auth credentials?

>> for security reasons I suppose - make sure a human enters
>> the password

> Well yes, but what if you actually want to script it?

Scripting passwords is considered a huge security hole, so people who
care about security try to prevent it by doing things like reading
passwords from /dev/tty instead of stdin.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I want my nose in
at lights!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris
Withers wrote:

> Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
>
>> On Donnerstag 05 August 2010, Chris Withers wrote:
>>
>>> But why only the request for auth credentials?

>> for security reasons I suppose - make sure a human enters
>> the password

> Well yes, but what if you actually want to script it?

Set up a public/private key pair.