Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network Places trouble

Network Places trouble

=?Utf-8?B?a2Fo?=

One desktop, one laptop. Neither is hardwired. Wireless router sits alone
connected to cable modem. Desktop and laptop have wireless reception. Both
individually connect to the internet. Tried to set up wireless network to
share files between the two. However, I can't see the laptop on the desktop
and vice versa. When I try to add a new network place, the laptop does not
show up on the desktop and vice versa. I'm completely stumped. Thanks.

Malke

kah wrote:

> One desktop, one laptop. Neither is hardwired. Wireless router sits
> alone
> connected to cable modem. Desktop and laptop have wireless reception.
> Both
> individually connect to the internet. Tried to set up wireless
> network to
> share files between the two. However, I can't see the laptop on the
> desktop
> and vice versa. When I try to add a new network place, the laptop
> does not
> show up on the desktop and vice versa. I'm completely stumped.
> Thanks.

This sounds like a misconfigured firewall, but you haven't really given
us enough information to get a specific answer. We don't even know what
operating systems you are running and if XP, what service pack level.

You should have firewalls on each computer and they need to be
configured to allow the Local Area Network (lan) as trusted. How you do
this depends on what firewalls you are running.

In the meantime, here is an excellent troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg
Michna. If you take the time to go through it carefully, it will
pinpoint the problem area(s).

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Malke
--