Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bing removal

Reply
Thread Tools

Bing removal

 
 
p4o2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2010
I have searched the group and found a number of requests for ways to
remove Bing, but no solution.

The problem that has started just a little while ago is:

When I logon to MSN, before my home page comes up with IE, I get the
Bing search page. If I wait a few minutes the home page does come up
but this adds to my login time.

I have looked at all the Bing pages and can not find a way to get rid
of it. Looked at window's add/remove and can not do it there.

Anyone know a way to getrid of Bing, I will never use it?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Buffalo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2010


p4o2 wrote:
> I have searched the group and found a number of requests for ways to
> remove Bing, but no solution.
>
> The problem that has started just a little while ago is:
>
> When I logon to MSN, before my home page comes up with IE, I get the
> Bing search page. If I wait a few minutes the home page does come up
> but this adds to my login time.
>
> I have looked at all the Bing pages and can not find a way to get rid
> of it. Looked at window's add/remove and can not do it there.
>
> Anyone know a way to getrid of Bing, I will never use it?


It is a search engine and not a program, according to the link below.

Try here:
http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?...u-remove-bing/
Buffalo


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2010
p4o2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:899c8b67-866b-4aea-8030-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):

> I have searched the group and found a number of requests for ways to
> remove Bing, but no solution.
>
> The problem that has started just a little while ago is:
>
> When I logon to MSN, before my home page comes up with IE, I get the
> Bing search page. If I wait a few minutes the home page does come up
> but this adds to my login time.
>
> I have looked at all the Bing pages and can not find a way to get rid
> of it. Looked at window's add/remove and can not do it there.
>
> Anyone know a way to getrid of Bing, I will never use it?


Bing *is* the Microsoft search engine. If you're going to a page for MSN,
you're explicitly *telling* the browser to bring it up. If you don't want
Bing, don't use MSN. There is no other solution.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2010
p4o2 wrote:
> I have searched the group and found a number of requests for ways to
> remove Bing, but no solution.


You can change your browser's search engine to something other than bing.

> When I logon to MSN,


You don't have to logon to MSN.

I'm not any kind of MSN registrant. When I go to http://www.msn.com/
there is a Bing search tool there on the page.

If I go to http://www.bing.com/ there is a similar Bing search tool on
the page. Bing is not my default search engine.

> before my home page comes up with IE,


You can make your home page be blank/empty.

> I get the
> Bing search page. If I wait a few minutes the home page does come up
> but this adds to my login time.


Your login time will be the fastest with a blank home page.

> I have looked at all the Bing pages and can not find a way to get rid
> of it. Looked at window's add/remove and can not do it there.


You are saying that you want your browser to be IE. Your browser wants
you to select a default search engine.

Your browser also wants you to have a home page - that can be blank.

> Anyone know a way to getrid of Bing, I will never use it?


Internet Explorer 7/ Tools/ Internet Options/ General tab - Home page
use blank - Search: Change search defaults - button Settings - select a
search engine such as google and click Set default.

If you don't have a choice you like, use the 'find more providers'
function and it will take you to a MS page to select from 6 websearch
providers, AOL, Ask.com, Google, Lycos.com and Yahoo besides Bing.


--
Mike Easter
 
Reply With Quote
 
p4o2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2010
On Aug 4, 1:30*pm, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> p4o2 wrote:
> > I have searched the group and found a number of requests for ways to
> > remove Bing, but no solution.

>
> You can change your browser's search engine to something other than bing.
>
> > When I logon to MSN,

>
> You don't have to logon to MSN.
>
> I'm not any kind of MSN registrant. When I go tohttp://www.msn.com/
> there is a Bing search tool there on the page.
>
> If I go tohttp://www.bing.com/there is a similar Bing search tool on
> the page. Bing is not my default search engine.
>
> > before my home page comes up with IE,

>
> You can make your home page be blank/empty.
>
> > I get the
> > Bing search page. If I wait a few minutes the home page does come up
> > but this adds to my login time.

>
> Your login time will be the fastest with a blank home page.
>
> > I have looked at all the Bing pages and can not find a way to get rid
> > of it. Looked at window's add/remove and can not do it there.

>
> You are saying that you want your browser to be IE. *Your browser wants
> you to select a default search engine.
>
> Your browser also wants you to have a home page - that can be blank.
>
> > Anyone know a way to getrid of Bing, I will never use it?

>
> Internet Explorer 7/ Tools/ Internet Options/ General tab - Home page
> use blank - Search: Change search defaults - button Settings - select a
> search engine such as google and click Set default.
>
> If you don't have a choice you like, use the 'find more providers'
> function and it will take you to a MS page to select from 6 websearch
> providers, AOL, Ask.com, Google, Lycos.com and Yahoo besides Bing.
>
> --
> Mike Easter


I am using MSN Dial-up so MSN is where I need to go at sign-in.

The browser I get is MSN Exployer and I can not find tools on it.

Maybe since it is MSN Exployer, Bing is not going to be able to be
removed?

I can minimize the MSN Exployer and open IE8 and avoid Bing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2010
p4o2 wrote:

> I am using MSN Dial-up so MSN is where I need to go at sign-in.
>
> The browser I get is MSN Exployer and I can not find tools on it.


Ooohh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSN_Explorer MSN Explorer is a web
browser, developed by Microsoft, that integrates MSN and Windows Live
features such as Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger with a
web browser. To make use of these services requires a Windows Live ID

MSN Internet Access is now dubbed as MSN 9 Dial-Up, which is still
available to the public. Membership includes use of an exclusive MSN
Browser, parental controls, McAfee firewall protection, and more.

You are also logging into googlegroups with a webtv address account.

http://www.webtv.com/pc/get/dial_service.asp MSN TV dial-up services
are available as a local call in most areas.

> Maybe since it is MSN Exployer, Bing is not going to be able to be
> removed?
>
> I can minimize the MSN Exployer and open IE8 and avoid Bing.


I'm not familiar with all of the rules and regs you are supposed to play
by when you are MSN TV dialup + MSN Explorer. At first glance, it would
seem that you 'belong to' MS and its software and interface, similar to
the way AOL used to do.

Here is a non-MS website that gives you some faq/s from a perspective
besides MS's http://www.dslreports.com/faq/msnetwork MSN Forum FAQ


--
Mike Easter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft trying to buy market share for bing Sailor Sam NZ Computing 13 11-29-2009 10:52 AM
BING FastFreddie Firefox 1 10-03-2009 05:40 AM
Re: BING !!-- Your home page is bypassed! Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov Computer Support 9 06-26-2009 11:20 PM
Re: BING !!-- Your home page is bypassed! Bert Hyman Computer Support 0 06-21-2009 11:31 PM
Bing appsetting to Panel visibility Gaspar ASP .Net 0 08-22-2008 06:20 PM



Advertisments