Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Session Border Controllers

Reply
Thread Tools

Session Border Controllers

 
 
davehigton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2010
The company I work for is looking for a SIP Session Border
Controller so we can get some SIP trunks for testing. The
one that IT have suggested is the Ingate Sipirator 19. Does
anyone have any experience of this?

Can anyone suggest an alternative of which s/he has direct
experience?

I can't imagine ever wanting more than 5 SIP trunks, though
each would be from a different provider. It's only for test
purposes, so the call volume and rate would be tiny. The
big concern is security - the SBC has to bridge a corporate
firewall.

Tia,

Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2010
Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, davehigton
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> The company I work for is looking for a SIP Session Border
> Controller so we can get some SIP trunks for testing. The
> one that IT have suggested is the Ingate Sipirator 19. Does
> anyone have any experience of this?


No. If it's just for testing [or even if it's not] why not try OpenSBC?

> I can't imagine ever wanting more than 5 SIP trunks, though
> each would be from a different provider.


If you're only establishing connections to 5 fixed points, is an SBC really
necessary?

> It's only for test purposes, so the call volume and rate would be tiny.
> The big concern is security - the SBC has to bridge a corporate
> firewall.


Many firewalls have SIP inspection and/or ALGs anyway. Or perhaps that's
your problem :-S

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
17:54:31 up 17 days, 8:25, 6 users, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.09
Qua illic est accuso, illic est a vindicatum

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bodincus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2010
(04/08/10 18:0, alexd:
> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, davehigton
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> The company I work for is looking for a SIP Session Border
>> Controller so we can get some SIP trunks for testing. The
>> one that IT have suggested is the Ingate Sipirator 19. Does
>> anyone have any experience of this?

>
> No. If it's just for testing [or even if it's not] why not try OpenSBC?
>
>> I can't imagine ever wanting more than 5 SIP trunks, though
>> each would be from a different provider.

>
> If you're only establishing connections to 5 fixed points, is an SBC really
> necessary?
>
>> It's only for test purposes, so the call volume and rate would be tiny.
>> The big concern is security - the SBC has to bridge a corporate
>> firewall.

>
> Many firewalls have SIP inspection and/or ALGs anyway. Or perhaps that's
> your problem :-S
>

The problem is he's making a mountain out of a molehill.
Many korporate ICT admins like to sound important, stuffing some
buzzwords into their corpspeak lull.
Laughing stock, don't waste your time.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************
Law 42 on computing:
Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@
# Access Violation - Core dumped
# Kernel Panic
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Higton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2010
In message <7Xj6o.8954$k31.2007@hurricane>
Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (04/08/10 18:0, alexd:
> > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, davehigton
> > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
> >
> > > The company I work for is looking for a SIP Session Border Controller
> > > so we can get some SIP trunks for testing. The one that IT have
> > > suggested is the Ingate Sipirator 19. Does anyone have any experience
> > > of this?

> >
> > No. If it's just for testing [or even if it's not] why not try OpenSBC?
> >
> > > I can't imagine ever wanting more than 5 SIP trunks, though each would
> > > be from a different provider.

> >
> > If you're only establishing connections to 5 fixed points, is an SBC
> > really necessary?
> >
> > > It's only for test purposes, so the call volume and rate would be tiny.
> > > The big concern is security - the SBC has to bridge a corporate
> > > firewall.

> >
> > Many firewalls have SIP inspection and/or ALGs anyway. Or perhaps that's
> > your problem :-S
> >

> The problem is he's making a mountain out of a molehill. Many korporate ICT
> admins like to sound important, stuffing some buzzwords into their
> corpspeak lull. Laughing stock, don't waste your time.


Why so dismissive? The company I work for has several hundred
employees over a substantial number of sites in several countries,
all on a huge LAN. If /anything/ untoward creeps in (as it has a
couple of times over the years) it's /very/ expensive. The company
is understandably very conservative about security. Paranoid, if
you like. I can entirely understand that POV.

Do you have any /useful/ suggestions?

Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dave Higton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In message <7Xj6o.8954$k31.2007@hurricane>
> Bodincus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (04/08/10 18:0, alexd:
>> > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, davehigton
>> > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>> >
>> > > The company I work for is looking for a SIP Session Border Controller
>> > > so we can get some SIP trunks for testing. The one that IT have
>> > > suggested is the Ingate Sipirator 19. Does anyone have any experience
>> > > of this?
>> >
>> > No. If it's just for testing [or even if it's not] why not try OpenSBC?
>> >
>> > > I can't imagine ever wanting more than 5 SIP trunks, though each would
>> > > be from a different provider.
>> >
>> > If you're only establishing connections to 5 fixed points, is an SBC
>> > really necessary?
>> >
>> > > It's only for test purposes, so the call volume and rate would be tiny.
>> > > The big concern is security - the SBC has to bridge a corporate
>> > > firewall.
>> >
>> > Many firewalls have SIP inspection and/or ALGs anyway. Or perhaps that's
>> > your problem :-S
>> >

>> The problem is he's making a mountain out of a molehill. Many korporate ICT
>> admins like to sound important, stuffing some buzzwords into their
>> corpspeak lull. Laughing stock, don't waste your time.

>
>Why so dismissive? The company I work for has several hundred
>employees over a substantial number of sites in several countries,
>all on a huge LAN. If /anything/ untoward creeps in (as it has a
>couple of times over the years) it's /very/ expensive. The company
>is understandably very conservative about security. Paranoid, if
>you like. I can entirely understand that POV.
>
>Do you have any /useful/ suggestions?


If you want some SIP trunks for testing, then all you need is a few SIP
desk phones and an account with an ITSP.

For your application, if it really is one big LAN (ie. lots of office
LANs connected together with (V)PNs and one big IP addressing space with
no NAT, then a single Asterisk server would cope without breaking into
a sweat. (Obviously, ultimately, you'd have 2 running in Linux-HA mode,
but to all intents and purposes, it's one box) You'll need to enable QoS
of some sort on each of the WAN/VPN links to ensure voice and signalling
quality.

Your issue is multiple offices/countries - and presumably, each office
has it's own PSTN connections, and you may need to use them - initially at
least, so put an Asterisk box in each office, connect it to the PSTN via
the appropriate interface (POTS, ISDN, etc.) and use VoIP internally to
route calls. You can also use VoIP to route calls to different countries
- so if in the UK, and calling a French number, then you route the call
internally via VoIP and then out of your French office's PBX - although
it might actually be cheaper to place the call via an external ITSP in
the UK...

(Hot-failover for PSTN connections is sometimes problematic, but there
are hardware devices to help here, but it's not always needed)

It's an intersting project, but really not something out of the
ordinary, nor something I'd consider using expensive and proprietary
hardware/software for.

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drop Down List Border Width vs Text Box Border Width Coder ASP .Net 1 06-24-2006 01:27 PM
row bottom border in inner table not matching up with row border in outer table phl HTML 1 06-08-2006 03:43 PM
VOIP Border controllers Netcom mbickers UK VOIP 0 07-12-2005 09:33 AM
Datagrid Border showing when I say no border tshad ASP .Net 0 01-31-2005 05:40 PM
SIP Session controllers in an MPLS/VPN environment Richard Liu VOIP 0 03-03-2004 01:37 AM



Advertisments