Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python package to read .7z archives?

Python package to read .7z archives?

Hallvard B Furuseth

Is there an equivalent of zipfile.py for .7z archives?
I have one which extracts an archive member by running 7z e -so,
but that's a *slow* way to read one file at a time.

Google found me some python interfaces to lzma, but apparently they
only handle single compressed files, not .7z archives.

(Actually another archive format would be fine if it is competitive.
I'm just looking to compress my .zips better. I need a Python module
to extract members reasonably fast, but slow compression would be OK.)

--
Hallvard

Giampaolo Rodolà

2010/8/4 Hallvard B Furuseth <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Is there an equivalent of zipfile.py for .7z archives?
> I have one which extracts an archive member by running 7z e -so,
> but that's a *slow* way to read one file at a time.
>
> Google found me some python interfaces to lzma, but apparently they
> only handle single compressed files, not .7z archives.
>
> (Actually another archive format would be fine if it is competitive.
> I'm just looking to compress my .zips better. *I need a Python module
> to extract members reasonably fast, but slow compression would be OK.)
>
> --
> Hallvard

http://bugs.python.org/issue5689

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib/
http://code.google.com/p/psutil/

Hallvard B Furuseth

Giampaolo Rodolà <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> 2010/8/4 Hallvard B Furuseth <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> Is there an equivalent of zipfile.py for .7z archives?
>> I have one which extracts an archive member by running 7z e -so,
>> but that's a *slow* way to read one file at a time.
>>
>> Google found me some python interfaces to lzma, but apparently they
>> only handle single compressed files, not .7z archives.
>>
>> (Actually another archive format would be fine if it is competitive.
>> I'm just looking to compress my .zips better. *I need a Python module
>> to extract members reasonably fast, but slow compression would be OK.)

> http://bugs.python.org/issue5689

[For lzma/xz compressed tar archives]

Thanks, but extraction of individual members from .tar.xz looks
inherently slow. To locate the member, you need to decompress
the entire portion of the archive preceding the member.

--
Hallvard