Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Is the router bad?

Reply
Thread Tools

Is the router bad?

 
 
Denny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-26-2005
I posted this in another newsgroup, but I thought I would try here also.

I have a Lynksys BFW1154 Router connecting two computers to the Internet. I
keep getting dropped when I plug the computers into the router, but when I
take the router out of the equation the connection doesn't have a problem.
The router is less than a year old. This seems to be that the router is the
problem and I probably need to purchase a new one, but I am no networking
expert. Just seems logical that as soon as I put the router into the
equation the send signal on the router stops within just a couple of
seconds. Please let me know if I am on the right track here. Thanks in
advance!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
created
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2005
the router may be bad, but it is also possible the firmware has a problem,
I would try going to linksys.com and looking for an updated version of the
firmware for your router. I have had similar problems with a different
linksys device and a firmware upgrade fixed the problem in my case.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David {MVP}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2005
I do not believe that you have posted enough to get a good answer to this
question. Anyone answering your question must assume some things, and
his/her answer will have more to do with these assumptions than with what
you have posted I believe.

So to begin with a router is not like an extension cord. You can not just
plug it in between, two or more devices and expect them to continue to talk
as if nothing has changed. I really am not sure if that is what you are
doing, or trying to do. A router is a router because it takes one address
and allows it to appear as many address behind the router. So anything in
front of the router will only be able to see the router, and will not be
able to see the one, two, three, or many more devices behind the router.
Kind of think of it as a two way mirror. If you look at the mirror from one
side, all you see is the mirror, if you are behind the mirror you can look
through the mirror and see the world. Same kind of thing applies to the
router.

When you add the router to your LAN all computers that plug into it (that
are behind it), will need to release and renew their IP address. As they
should be assigned a new IP address, now if the router is not configured
correctly, the router can send out "bad" addresses to the computers that are
connected to it. Preventing them from connecting to the internet. But that
is operator error, and not a bad or broken/defective router. Have you
renewed the IP address on the computers connected to the router? Have the IP
addresses changed? Has the router been configured to work with your system?
Have the computers that connect to the router been configured to work with
the router? The computers that you are attempting to connect to the router
may have been told to only use one address, and to always use this address.
If so then any router you add to your network may appear to not work. This
is not a router problem, but rather the way your PCs have been configured.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices
Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...


Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

"Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OQ%233H$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I posted this in another newsgroup, but I thought I would try here also.
>
> I have a Lynksys BFW1154 Router connecting two computers to the Internet.
> I
> keep getting dropped when I plug the computers into the router, but when I
> take the router out of the equation the connection doesn't have a problem.
> The router is less than a year old. This seems to be that the router is
> the
> problem and I probably need to purchase a new one, but I am no networking
> expert. Just seems logical that as soon as I put the router into the
> equation the send signal on the router stops within just a couple of
> seconds. Please let me know if I am on the right track here. Thanks in
> advance!
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Denny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2005
This did end up being a router problem. After going through all of the
steps to fix the problem with 5 different Lynksys techs the problem wasn't
solved. I could surf the Net, download files, receive and send email, etc.,
but as soon as I went to a page like MSNBC that had streaming video the
connection would drop. When I took the router out of the equation the
streaming video along with all the rest worked as in the past. So, I
purchased a new router connected it to the network and everything is working
without a hitch.
"David {MVP}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I do not believe that you have posted enough to get a good answer to this
>question. Anyone answering your question must assume some things, and
>his/her answer will have more to do with these assumptions than with what
>you have posted I believe.
>
> So to begin with a router is not like an extension cord. You can not just
> plug it in between, two or more devices and expect them to continue to
> talk as if nothing has changed. I really am not sure if that is what you
> are doing, or trying to do. A router is a router because it takes one
> address and allows it to appear as many address behind the router. So
> anything in front of the router will only be able to see the router, and
> will not be able to see the one, two, three, or many more devices behind
> the router. Kind of think of it as a two way mirror. If you look at the
> mirror from one side, all you see is the mirror, if you are behind the
> mirror you can look through the mirror and see the world. Same kind of
> thing applies to the router.
>
> When you add the router to your LAN all computers that plug into it (that
> are behind it), will need to release and renew their IP address. As they
> should be assigned a new IP address, now if the router is not configured
> correctly, the router can send out "bad" addresses to the computers that
> are connected to it. Preventing them from connecting to the internet. But
> that is operator error, and not a bad or broken/defective router. Have you
> renewed the IP address on the computers connected to the router? Have the
> IP addresses changed? Has the router been configured to work with your
> system? Have the computers that connect to the router been configured to
> work with the router? The computers that you are attempting to connect to
> the router may have been told to only use one address, and to always use
> this address. If so then any router you add to your network may appear to
> not work. This is not a router problem, but rather the way your PCs have
> been configured.
>
> --
> David {MVP}
> Microsoft Mobile Devices
> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
>
> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
> their life by correcting me.
>
> "Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OQ%233H$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I posted this in another newsgroup, but I thought I would try here also.
>>
>> I have a Lynksys BFW1154 Router connecting two computers to the Internet.
>> I
>> keep getting dropped when I plug the computers into the router, but when
>> I
>> take the router out of the equation the connection doesn't have a
>> problem.
>> The router is less than a year old. This seems to be that the router is
>> the
>> problem and I probably need to purchase a new one, but I am no networking
>> expert. Just seems logical that as soon as I put the router into the
>> equation the send signal on the router stops within just a couple of
>> seconds. Please let me know if I am on the right track here. Thanks in
>> advance!
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Denny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2005
Thanks for the response created. I did reflash the firmware but that didn't
solve the problem. I worked with 5 different Lynksys techs and did
everything they asked and the problem persisted. After purchasing a new
router the problem is fixed. I just have to conclude the router failed.
"created" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutsoftware.com...
> the router may be bad, but it is also possible the firmware has a problem,
> I would try going to linksys.com and looking for an updated version of the
> firmware for your router. I have had similar problems with a different
> linksys device and a firmware upgrade fixed the problem in my case.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up a router with 29 Global IPs, BUT can't ping router internal interface from server or server interface from router war_wheelan@yahoo.com Cisco 1 12-14-2005 03:31 PM
Router / Wireless Router Dilemma RedRover Wireless Networking 2 12-16-2004 06:21 PM
router and router we go! Veritech Wireless Networking 1 10-02-2004 06:41 PM
Wireless Router-to-Router communications Steve Bruce, mct Wireless Networking 2 09-20-2004 12:21 PM
VoIP wired router behind a wireless router and AP Hachijo Wireless Networking 0 09-19-2004 10:58 AM



Advertisments