Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Who says Chinese mfg. has hurt camera quality?

Who says Chinese mfg. has hurt camera quality?

RichA

EVERYONE! Olympus used to be as solid as a rock when it came to
camera reliability. You rarely ever heard of any kind of failure.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35954856

RichA

On Aug 4, 7:12*am, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >EVERYONE! *Olympus used to be as solid as a rock when it came to
> >camera reliability. *You rarely ever heard of any kind of failure.

> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35954856

> And if you actually read the entire thread you'd have learned that the
> error was caused by the user, not the camera or the manufacturer.
>
> But hey, what does the truth mean?

If it was only the update process.
The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.

Bowser

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 4, 7:12 am, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >EVERYONE! Olympus used to be as solid as a rock when it came to
>> >camera reliability. You rarely ever heard of any kind of failure.

>> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35954856

>> And if you actually read the entire thread you'd have learned that the
>> error was caused by the user, not the camera or the manufacturer.
>>
>> But hey, what does the truth mean?

> If it was only the update process.
> The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
> live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
> saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
> customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
> the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.

So you admit that the user screwed up and that the camera's place of
manufacturer had nothing to do with it? doesn't this mean that your original
post was just another lame attempt at trolling and that you serve no purpose
on this earth and should disappear and never post again? Isn't that what it
all means? Well, that's what I read out of it.

Bowser

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C87EF034.3A883%(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 8/4/10 9:50 AM, in article
> f1265e52-8272-482b-8335-6ca814880904...oglegroups.com, "RichA"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 4, 7:12 am, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> And if you actually read the entire thread you'd have learned that the
>>> error was caused by the user, not the camera or the manufacturer.
>>>
>>> But hey, what does the truth mean?

>> If it was only the update process.
>> The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
>> live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
>> saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
>> customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
>> the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.

> And just where was this "camera store"?!?
>
> (this should be good)

My guess is the this camera store is buried deep within the recesses of his
pathetic little mind.

Just a guess.

Peter

"Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YDB6o.337$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:C87EF034.3A883%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> On 8/4/10 9:50 AM, in article
>> f1265e52-8272-482b-8335-6ca814880904...oglegroups.com,
>> "RichA"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> If it was only the update process.
>>> The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
>>> live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
>>> saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
>>> customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
>>> the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.

>> And just where was this "camera store"?!?
>>
>> (this should be good)

> My guess is the this camera store is buried deep within the recesses of
> his pathetic little mind.
>
> Just a guess.

The store may not be, but I would not bet against you on the described
contents.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 13:40:47 -0500, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
:
:
:
: On 8/5/10 11:27 AM, in article YDB6o.337$(E-Mail Removed),
: "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > "George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:C87EF034.3A883%(E-Mail Removed)...
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >> On 8/4/10 9:50 AM, in article
: >> f1265e52-8272-482b-8335-6ca814880904...oglegroups.com, "RichA"
: >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >>
: >>> On Aug 4, 7:12 am, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >>>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
: >>>> wrote:
: >>>>
: >>>>> EVERYONE! Olympus used to be as solid as a rock when it came to
: >>>>> camera reliability. You rarely ever heard of any kind of failure.
: >>>>
: >>>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35954856
: >>>>
: >>>> And if you actually read the entire thread you'd have learned that the
: >>>> error was caused by the user, not the camera or the manufacturer.
: >>>>
: >>>> But hey, what does the truth mean?
: >>>
: >>> If it was only the update process.
: >>> The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
: >>> live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
: >>> saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
: >>> customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
: >>> the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.
: >>
: >> And just where was this "camera store"?!?
: >>
: >> (this should be good)
: >
: > My guess is the this camera store is buried deep within the recesses of his
: > pathetic little mind.
: >
: > Just a guess.
: >
: Most likely an accurate guess. Living in Houston, fourth largest city in the
: US, there are only two true camera stores. And I'm not talking about chains
: like Ritz which has gone bankrupt. Unless Rich was in NYC, Atlanta, San
: Francisco or Chicago, his "camera store" is a fig newton of his imagination.

You forgot Boston. Our local chain, Hunt's, came up with a WA lens I wanted
when both of the big NYC chains had been without it for almost a year.

Bob

Outing Trolls is FUN!

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 13:48:35 -0500, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>> : >
>> : > My guess is the this camera store is buried deep within the recesses of
>> his
>> : > pathetic little mind.
>> : >
>> : > Just a guess.
>> : >
>> : Most likely an accurate guess. Living in Houston, fourth largest city in the
>> : US, there are only two true camera stores. And I'm not talking about chains
>> : like Ritz which has gone bankrupt. Unless Rich was in NYC, Atlanta, San
>> : Francisco or Chicago, his "camera store" is a fig newton of his imagination.
>>
>> You forgot Boston. Our local chain, Hunt's, came up with a WA lens I wanted
>> when both of the big NYC chains had been without it for almost a year.
>>
>> Bob

>My Bad. I guess I can't get them all. I have heard of Hunt's Photo and

What a surprise! Because we ALL already know that you don't even own one
camera. You've proved that so many times we've lost count.

Peter

"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You forgot Boston. Our local chain, Hunt's, came up with a WA lens I
> wanted
> when both of the big NYC chains had been without it for almost a year.

I like dealing with them. In all my dealings I found Gary to be a straight
shooter who is knowledgeable, cooperative and responsive.

--
Peter