Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Picking Lice With The 70-200 VR2!!

Re: Picking Lice With The 70-200 VR2!!

Nervous Nick

On Aug 2, 6:43*pm, Larry Thong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Baboons do it in the zoo, they even do it in the wild. *It must be a fun
> activity as it seems to be spreading.
>
> <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/Lice.jpg>

Why did you choose to share this photo? Were you jonesing for a
reason to use a double exclamation point?

Tim Conway

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C87DCBFA.3A788%(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 8/3/10 10:21 AM, in article
> 2010080308215079149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-08-03 08:13:13 -0700, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> said:
>>

>>> On 8/2/10 8:21 PM, in article
>>> d9e7839f-2682-4eaf-bab0-fad5f2f66c2d...oglegroups.com,

>>> Just when we thought Rita was gaining control of the medications, he
>>> veers
>>> off again. Oh well...

>> ...but all things considered it is not a bad candid capture, clearly
>>
>> demonstrating just how good the 70-200 f/2.8 can be.
>>
>> The baiting, tongue in cheek subject lines continue to be a groan.

> Not just a 'groan', a completely derailed train of thought that most
> likely
> came from the influence of mis-managed pharmaceuticals.
>
> Tell me, looking at that photograph, the thought of baboons picking lice
> would be *your* primary choice for a cut line?
>
> Thought not. Most normal folks as well. Maybe Rita speaks from personal
> experiences? Dunno...

Offbeat as it is, it got our attention, didn't it? cool. nice photo too.
I wish I was as young and thin....

Tim Conway

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C87DCBFA.3A788%(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 8/3/10 10:21 AM, in article
> 2010080308215079149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-08-03 08:13:13 -0700, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> said:
>>

>>> On 8/2/10 8:21 PM, in article
>>> d9e7839f-2682-4eaf-bab0-fad5f2f66c2d...oglegroups.com,

>>> Just when we thought Rita was gaining control of the medications, he
>>> veers
>>> off again. Oh well...

>> ...but all things considered it is not a bad candid capture, clearly
>>
>> demonstrating just how good the 70-200 f/2.8 can be.
>>
>> The baiting, tongue in cheek subject lines continue to be a groan.

> Not just a 'groan', a completely derailed train of thought that most
> likely
> came from the influence of mis-managed pharmaceuticals.
>
> Tell me, looking at that photograph, the thought of baboons picking lice
> would be *your* primary choice for a cut line?
>
> Thought not. Most normal folks as well. Maybe Rita speaks from personal
> experiences? Dunno...

Correction for the grammar police: I wish I were as young and
thin.....(again).

Peter

"Tim Conway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i39nr9$qd4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> Offbeat as it is, it got our attention, didn't it? cool. nice photo too.
> I wish I was as young and thin....

I would settle for either one, preferably in the order you specified.

--
Peter

Peter

"Tim Conway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i39nva$s26$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:C87DCBFA.3A788%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> On 8/3/10 10:21 AM, in article
>> 2010080308215079149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> ...but all things considered it is not a bad candid capture, clearly
>>>
>>> demonstrating just how good the 70-200 f/2.8 can be.
>>>
>>> The baiting, tongue in cheek subject lines continue to be a groan.

>> Not just a 'groan', a completely derailed train of thought that most
>> likely
>> came from the influence of mis-managed pharmaceuticals.
>>
>> Tell me, looking at that photograph, the thought of baboons picking lice
>> would be *your* primary choice for a cut line?
>>
>> Thought not. Most normal folks as well. Maybe Rita speaks from personal
>> experiences? Dunno...
>>

> Correction for the grammar police: I wish I were as young and
> thin.....(again).

Grammar police be damned! Tis the result I ant.

When I was a lot younger, my mother actually wanted to fatten me up.

--
Peter

otter

On Aug 3, 3:02*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> I always thought the big mystery to be the obsession with high ticket
> equipment, and no apparent need for it.

Yikes! So now we need to prove the need to own whatever cameras we
can afford?
I'm definitely in trouble.

tony cooper

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:02:48 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-08-03 11:36:58 -0700, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>> On 8/3/10 10:21 AM, in article
>> 2010080308215079149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> ...but all things considered it is not a bad candid capture, clearly
>>>
>>> demonstrating just how good the 70-200 f/2.8 can be.
>>>
>>> The baiting, tongue in cheek subject lines continue to be a groan.

>> Not just a 'groan', a completely derailed train of thought that most likely
>> came from the influence of mis-managed pharmaceuticals.
>>
>> Tell me, looking at that photograph, the thought of baboons picking lice
>> would be *your* primary choice for a cut line?

>No, but I understood the source of the metaphor she conjured up, and I
>have seen scenes where primate behavior evokes a certain easily
>anthropomorphized tender interaction.
>

>> Thought not. Most normal folks as well. Maybe Rita speaks from personal
>> experiences? Dunno...

>Who knows? I never perceived any need for medication, only an
>underlying odd humor.
>Rita's subject lines have always been strangely provocative, and we all
>seem to get drawn in and tangled up, regardless of how strange, or
>however good, bad, corny, or in bad taste her images might be.
>I always thought the big mystery to be the obsession with high ticket
>equipment, and no apparent need for it. That, and the source of income
>to support what appears to nothing more than a hobby. I have yet to see
>anything from her of the same quality Bret has given us, or some of the
>work submitted to the SI (present company not included.)

I have no problem with her subject lines. They are sometimes amusing.
I can't really see how they are at all harmful even to the
humor-impaired.

Those who don't like Rita/Larry will find fault with anything. That's
their problem.

His/her photographs run from barely adequate to reasonably good, and
"reasonably good" is better than many do. Certainly better than the
moths and vines that someone else seems to think are worth offering.

It's a hobby, Duck. You don't have to be able to do National
Geographic level stuff to satisfy hobby urges. I don't understand why
people want to take away someone else's pleasure in pursuing their
hobby.

Your curiosity about the money he/she spends on equipment is somewhat
naive. Go to any golf course and see if the golfers with the highest
priced equipment are the best golfers. Watch to see if the owners of
Corvettes and high-end BMWs and Mercedes are better drivers. Last
time I went scuba diving there was a guy on the charter boat with a
wrist computer that cost more than all of my equipment combined, and
he couldn't get down to bottom at 60 feet using an anchor line because
he held his breath and kept too much air in his BCD. He got back on
the boat and left his dive buddy to go alone.

The attitude of every hobbyist is "More, and better, equipment will
make me better".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

ROFLMAO!

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:01:55 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>As a hobbyist of average talent

ROFLMAO!

tony cooper

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:01:55 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>So my remark stands, I can see no apparent need for the equipment she
>owns other than bragging rights.

What has "need" to do with what we purchase once we are beyond the
basics? Isn't the ability to buy the luxuries we want one of the
reasons we strive for success in our occupation?

Who are you to decide what someone else "needs" if that person is
purchasing those items with their own money and not yours?

I drive an older Toyota Rav4 with 60+ thousand miles on it. I bought
it used. I am not a car person; I look for a practical vehicle with
the configuration that works for my needs in a vehicle.

If you drive a Mercedes, a BMW, or some other more expensive car, do
you think I should worry if you have no apparent need for a car that
costs that much?

Rita/Larry, if I'm not mistaken, buys things that he/she can sell on
eBay at a profit. Or used to. Not junque, but industrial equipment
and such. If he/she is smart enough to know what to buy and how to
market it, why should *anyone* else be concerned about what he/she
does with his/her disposable income? I don't know if Rita/Larry has a
regular occupation in addition to this, but I really don't care.

I don't think it's within your purview to decide what his/her "needs"
are. It is within your purview to comment on his/her results in using
the equipment since he/she links to the results as an open invitation
for comment. What you don't see is a positive result of that
expensive equipment, but that has nothing to with "need".

I'm tired of writing "him/her". His/her gender is another thing that
makes no difference to me, but I'm not going to be the one who decides
which it is.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:40:11 -0500, SneakyP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in
>

>> ...I do like nice things though, and most times they seem to be
>> prohibitively expensive.
>>

>I'd like to get my hands on a pair of RAAL tweets. Different hobby of
>course, but it's just a $1,200 ribbon tweeter speaker with a sweetly
>diffracted high-end. (or so it has been praised).
>
>OTOH, I want a lens that can produce the clarity that one seems to show and
>it appears that it's going to cost about $1,000 to do that, with the rest
>of the equipment being compatible too.

That's another area where "needs" don't come into play when it comes
to spending money. People buy god-awful expensive sound systems and
then listen to Lady GaGa or some-such. Cars sit next to me at
intersections with thousands of dollars worth of sound equipment
blaring out rap "music" so loudly that my door panel shakes. They
have more money in their rims and wheels than my car costs.

To each his own.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Re: Head lice Two Speed Computer Support 0 07-23-2009 04:15 AM
Re: Head lice OG Computer Support 1 07-20-2009 08:56 PM
Re: Head lice Evan Platt Computer Support 0 07-20-2009 06:14 PM
Re: Head lice Whiskers Computer Support 0 07-20-2009 03:12 PM
Re: Head lice Mike Easter Computer Support 0 07-20-2009 03:09 PM

Advertisments