Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs?

Re: What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs?

Stormin Mormon

I don't use one, but it might fit the bill for you.
http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...ght-66433.html
On sale, ten bucks. Somewhat rugged.

The LED one with 45 LED or something. Much less satisfying. Throws a
spot on the far wall, and doesn't light up the area.

Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Brent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy
lighting
conditions (like many people do).

Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to
augment
the camera flash.

It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change
the
directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
they
break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
200W
bulbs from ACE?

J. Clarke

On 8/3/2010 3:04 AM, Brent wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:18:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
>
>> Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.

> In the intracacies of the engine, the camera flash can't throw the light we
> need into all the spaces we need for a good shot.
>
> That's why it has to be hand held and clampable .
>
> The incandescents in the aluminum reflector work fine; they just break a
> lot.

May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
sort of thing. The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. If you need
something more powerful the AlienBees ABR800 is 20 bucks more, but plugs
into the wall and is larger and bulkier and without any automation. For
close to double the price you can go with the Nikon R1C1 (apparently the
D5000 flash doesn't work as commander--if it did you could use the R1
for not much more than the Sigma or Alien Bees) which gives you a little
more control of shadows but is on a par with the Sigma for power.

Note by the way that the Sigma does _not_ work as a commander for
anything but the EM500 (on Canon anyway--I don't know if the Nikon
version has the same problem).

There is a bottom-feeder Chinese ringlight that is sold under the
"Bower", "Phoenix", and other brands for around 100 bucks--apparently
_if_ you get a good one they work fine but you may have to go through
several of them to get a good one.

DanP

On Aug 3, 9:51*am, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
> sort of thing. *The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. *If you need

You can buy a lot of light bulbs for that money.

DanP

J. Clarke

On 8/3/2010 5:23 AM, DanP wrote:
> On Aug 3, 9:51 am, "J. Clarke"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
>> sort of thing. The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. If you need

> You can buy a lot of light bulbs for that money.

You can buy a lot of light bulbs for the price of a digital camera too.
So what?

J. Clarke

On 8/3/2010 5:23 AM, DanP wrote:
> On Aug 3, 9:51 am, "J. Clarke"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
>> sort of thing. The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. If you need

> You can buy a lot of light bulbs for that money.

126 200 watt bulbs from Lowes or 43 rough service 200 watt bulbs from
bulbs.com. Or if you go with the Chinese knockoff then it's 13 rough
service bulbs or 36 Lowes bulbs.

And that leaves aside the convenience factor. With the ring light you
just point and shoot, no need to move lights for every shot.