Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > c++ udp thing....

c++ udp thing....

Robin

Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
for udp communications?

I was also wondering, does anyone want to work with me on a
designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

Thanks,
-R

Jorgen Grahn

On Mon, 2010-08-02, Robin wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
> for udp communications?

UDP is easy; there is not much to do for such a library, so I think
you can just use Winsock. Most of the work is interacting with
whatever I/O multiplexer Windows has (whatever it has instead of
Unix's select()/poll()).

> I was also wondering, does anyone want to work with me on a
> designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

A good idea in one way -- you can use your own project for
communicating with each other. You can even develop two different
clients and just cooperate on the protocol design.

This is off topic and a personal opinion, but I think that most people
who want to design an UDP-based protocol should think again and use
TCP. There are just too many protocol features you have to implement
on top of UDP, and you will not notice until it's too late.

Followup set to comp.protocols.tcp-ip, where they discuss these things.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Brian Wood

On Aug 2, 3:32*pm, Robin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
> for udp communications?
>
> I was also wondering, does anyone want to *work with me on a
> designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

The C++ Middleware Writer might be of interest to you.
I agree with Jorgen's comments about considering TCP.

Brian Wood
http://webEbenezer.net
(651) 251-9384

Thomas J. Gritzan

Am 02.08.2010 23:06, schrieb Jorgen Grahn:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02, Robin wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
>> for udp communications?

> UDP is easy; there is not much to do for such a library, so I think
> you can just use Winsock. Most of the work is interacting with
> whatever I/O multiplexer Windows has (whatever it has instead of
> Unix's select()/poll()).

Since Winsock mimics BSD sockets, it also has select()/poll() (named as
WSApoll).
However, there's also a mechanism using Window Messages that notifies
when you can read or write to a socket.

I think you can ask on comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 about this.

For C++, I would try Boost.Asio, since BSD sockets is a bit low-level.

>> I was also wondering, does anyone want to work with me on a
>> designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

[...]

Yet Another One?
Why UDP?

--
Thomas

Michael Doubez

On 2 août, 22:32, Robin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good library I can get for free for windows 7
> for udp communications?
>
> I was also wondering, does anyone want to *work with me on a
> designing a chat client/server program in c++ that uses udp?

If you want a C++ network centric library, you might consider POCO:
http://pocoproject.org/

It would give you a framework for your application.

--
Michael

udp (0) -> udp (0) traffic ? Tom Cisco 2 03-04-2004 06:06 PM
Re: tired of counting.... UDP socket bug Willy Denoyette [MVP] ASP .Net 0 01-13-2004 08:57 PM
Re: tired of counting.... UDP socket bug Ray Cassick \(Home\) ASP .Net 3 01-13-2004 06:53 PM
Re: 4th attempt: UDP Socket Bug Chris Botha ASP .Net 3 01-09-2004 12:47 AM
3rd attempt: UDP Socket Bug Bryan Martin ASP .Net 1 01-07-2004 09:06 PM

Advertisments