Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Slightly ugly output

Re: Slightly ugly output

rf

"lrhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> This isn't urgent, because the code works, but it is slightly
> unpleasant looking, to me, anyway. I have a page with two radio
> buttons side-by-side. One links to one page and the second to another.

What do you mean? How to radio buttons "like to a page"?

> By my understanding, a single form can only link to a specific page, so

A form does not "link to a page". A form simply calls the server, asking for
whatever is at a specific URL and passing a few values.

> I created two different forms for the two buttons, each linking to a
> different page, and put them in the same table. Evidently, this is
> causing them to show up with one slightly higher than the other. Now I
> could eliminate the problem by putting them in the same form, linking
> to an intermediate cgi script, and then immediately forwarding to one
> page or the other based upon which button was clicked. Is there a
> cleaner, simpler way, though?

Depends entirely on what you are wanting to happen.

> Width=40 align="center">Min<td Width=40>Temp

Invalid. A tr cannot directly contain a form element.

> [...Whole bunch of stuff deleted]

> value="Submit">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="Action"
> value="/usr/share/thermostat/weekday">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="Therms" value="8">
>
> </form>

Where is the beginning of this form?

> <form ACTION="/cgi-bin/pupdate.cgi">
> value="Abort">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="Therms" value="8">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="Testing" value="Program">
> </form></table>

Invalid. A table cannot directly contain a form element, and where is the
opening tag for that form element?

With forms within tables: the form must be entirely within a single cell of
the table. It can not be spread across one two or more cells or rows, as you
are doing.

With such grossly invalid code it is entirely up to the browser how it
looks, after the browser has error-corrected it that is.

Take it over to the validator, fix the errors and see if the problem
disappears.

rf

"lrhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> This isn't urgent, because the code works, but it is slightly
>>> unpleasant looking, to me, anyway. I have a page with two radio
>>> buttons side-by-side. One links to one page and the second to
>>> another.

>> What do you mean? How to radio buttons "like to a page"?

> I said "link" not "like"

And I made a typo. So sue me.

>> With forms within tables: the form must be entirely within a single
>> cell of the table. It can not be spread across one two or more cells
>> or rows, as you are doing.

> That doesn't make much sense to me, at all.

It's very simple. If you have a form *inside* a table then it must be
entirely within one single <td>.

If you wish a table to be inside a form then the entire table must be inside
the form.

> How, then, is one to pass
> parameters from multiple rows of a table (one checkbox per row, for
> example - see

Put the entire table inside the form. That's the only valid way.

> http://68.203.168.150/cgi-bin/pupdat...ram+Thermostat )
> to another spreadsheet? With one form per tr, I would only be able to
> pass 1 value to the profile.cgi script when the user clicked <Delete>.
>
> How would you implement the two pages? Using multiple divs? That would
> make the scripts horribly more complex, especially for the pupdate.cgi
> script.

Why? You could name your Add submit buttons differently for each section and
fork in your script accordingly.

>> With such grossly invalid code it is entirely up to the browser how it
>> looks, after the browser has error-corrected it that is.

> Grossly invalid or not, it looks just fine on both Firefox and IE,
> other than this one tiny anomaly on the commit.cgi page.

And it might continue to look just fine, until one of those browsers changes
its error correction.

On closer inspection (now that you have provided a URL) I see that you are
nesting forms as well. You cannot nest forms. A form may not contain another
form, and this time the browsers error correction *will* bite you. Such a
construct is not specified so the browser can to whatever it feels like,
such as closing the first form prematurely, totally ignoring the nested
form. Add in the fact that you are spreading these forms invalidly through
tables it's pot luck what will happen.

As to why the submit and abort buttons are at different positions on the
provile.cgi page, switch on borders on all elements (either via CSS, or
using firebug) and you will note that those two buttons live in two cells
within a table row.

The second cell contains a form, which in turn contains the abort button.
This form has a default bottom margin so visually the abort button sits at
the top of the cell with some space below it. That is what sets the height
of the table row.

The first cell contains only a submit button, centered vertically within the
row. Visually there is a submit button with space above and below it.

Hence the different heights.

Neredbojias

On 01 Aug 2010, lrhorer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>>> is causing them to show up with one slightly higher than the other.
>>> Now I could eliminate the problem by putting them in the same
>>> form, linking to an intermediate cgi script, and then immediately
>>> forwarding to one
>>> page or the other based upon which button was clicked. Is there a
>>> cleaner, simpler way, though?

>> Depends entirely on what you are wanting to happen.

> See
>
> http://68.203.168.150/cgi-bin/pupdat...am=Program+The
> rmostat
>
> Note how the <Add> and <Delete> button appear level on the
> same line
> for each table? (In this case, they both call the same script, and
> so are both part of the same form.) Now click on any one of the
> <Add> buttons. In this page, although the <Submit> and <Abort>
> buttons appear thematically to be the same as the <Add> and <Delete>
> buttons on the former page, in fact they are quite different, because
> each must call different cgi scripts while passing very different
> variables. What I want to "happen" at the UI layer is for the
> <Submit> and <Abort> buttons to be level with one another,
> side-by-side. What I want to "happen" at the web server layer is for
> the commit script to run if the user clicks on <Submit> and for the
> previous web page to be re-loaded if the user clicks <Abort>.

>>> align="center">Hour<td Width=40 align="center">Min<td Width=40>Temp

>> Invalid. A tr cannot directly contain a form element.

> OK, if I move it outside the tr, the two are still not level.
> They
> just switch positions vertically.
>
>>> [...Whole bunch of stuff deleted]

>>> value="Submit">
>>> <input type="hidden" NAME="Action"
>>> value="/usr/share/thermostat/weekday">
>>> <input type="hidden" NAME="Therms" value="8">
>>>
>>> </form>

>> Where is the beginning of this form?

> Right above. You pointed it out yourself.
>
>>> <form ACTION="/cgi-bin/pupdate.cgi">
>>> value="Abort">
>>> <input type="hidden" NAME="Therms" value="8">
>>> <input type="hidden" NAME="Testing" value="Program">
>>> </form></table>

>> Invalid. A table cannot directly contain a form element, and where
>> is the opening tag for that form element?

> Just above. There are only two forms on this page. One which calls
> the commit script and the other which calls the pupdate script

>> With forms within tables: the form must be entirely within a single
>> cell of the table. It can not be spread across one two or more cells
>> or rows, as you are doing.

> That doesn't make much sense to me, at all. How, then, is
> one to pass
> parameters from multiple rows of a table (one checkbox per row, for
> example - see
> http://68.203.168.150/cgi-bin/pupdat...am=Program+The
> rmostat ) to another spreadsheet? With one form per tr, I would only
> be able to pass 1 value to the profile.cgi script when the user

Think about it. What you have now (trimmed) is:

....a classic example of improper nesting. You might try using 1 table
for everything, -1 row and 2 cells, each cell containing a form. That
is the simplest way I can see although not necessarily the most
expeditious. You can also put (a) table(s) ~within~ a form if you find
that abets your cause.

> How would you implement the two pages? Using multiple divs? That
> would make the scripts horribly more complex, especially for the
> pupdate.cgi script.
>
>> With such grossly invalid code it is entirely up to the browser how
>> it looks, after the browser has error-corrected it that is.

> Grossly invalid or not, it looks just fine on both Firefox
> and IE,
> other than this one tiny anomaly on the commit.cgi page.
>
>> Take it over to the validator, fix the errors and see if the problem
>> disappears.

> How am I to fix it when I haven't a good notion of how to get
> the same
> results in some entirely different way? I don't do web pages for a
> living. This is only my third web site, for a small one-off project,
> the last one I did was four or five years ago, and it's unlikely I am
> going to do any more in the near future, so vast amounts of research
> are not practical. I can live with it as it is, if it comes to that,
> especially since my housemates and I are the only ones who will ever
> see or use it. (I have security disabled for the time being, but one
> this goes live, it won't even be available on the internet.)

Yes, but you'll always be wondering if your housemates are laughing
behind your back...

--
Neredbojias

http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/

rf

"lrhorer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> That doesn't make much sense to me, at all.

>> It's very simple. If you have a form *inside* a table then it must be
>> entirely within one single <td>.

> I'm not looking to put a form inside a table. I am looking for the
> form to span a table (actually, more than one table), with form
> elements (checkboxes) assigned to elements of the table. The problem
> is, putting two entities side-by-side requires the two entities both to
> be part of the same table row.
>
>> If you wish a table to be inside a form then the entire table must be
>> inside the form.

> That's not what you said.

No, it's not what I said last time. That is because I was extending the
information to cater for "the other way round". My prior statement was about
forms inside tables. This new one is about tables inside forms, which is
what you really want anyway.

> You said the entire form must be inside a
> single cell. On the pupdate.cgi sheet, placing all the tables wholly
> within the extents of the form is no problem.

OK. Problem solved.

>>> How, then, is one to pass
>>> parameters from multiple rows of a table (one checkbox per row, for
>>> example - see

>> Put the entire table inside the form. That's the only valid way.

> See above. The question, though, still remains. Assume I place
> the
> tables entirely within the extents of form #1, with one element of a
> one line table being on the left hand side of the sheet (it can be half
> the width of the form above it, if need be) at the bottom. Now how do
> I place a second form on the same line with the table to the right of
> the one line, narrow table?

You don't. You have exactly one form, containing a big table, or a number of
tables, or whatever you want. How you organise your input fields is up to
you, but rememeber that they *all* can have different names, and your submit
buttons can *all* have different names, and your server side processing can
choose which input fields to consider depending on what submit button was
activated.

>>> to another spreadsheet? With one form per tr, I would only be able
>>> to pass 1 value to the profile.cgi script when the user clicked
>>> <Delete>.
>>>
>>> How would you implement the two pages? Using multiple divs? That
>>> would make the scripts horribly more complex, especially for the
>>> pupdate.cgi script.

>> Why? You could name your Add submit buttons differently for each
>> section and fork in your script accordingly.

> Unless I am missing something, a single form can only spawn to a
> single
> page. It can't spawn conditionally to one of two pages.

I didn't say it could. Your form causes one single server side process to
run. That server side process forks (with a big if statement, or maybe a
case) depending on which submit button was activated. If the submit button
named "delete_weekays" was successfull then you consider the checkboxes
named "line_weekdays[]". Similarly for delete_weekends and line_weekends[].

>> On closer inspection (now that you have provided a URL) I see that you
>> are nesting forms as well.

> I am not nesting any forms. Every <form ...> is followed by a
> </form>
> prior to any other form being opened.

Ah, yes, on looking at the source code you do exactly that.

I was looking at the HTML tab on firebug, effectively the DOM *. Since your
HTML is invalid it seems that firefox has decided that the forms *are*
nested. It must have thrown out the first </form>, since it is in an invalid
inserted a </form> just before the </body> to close the still open outer
form.

* the DOM contains a body containing a table (your heading) and a form.

The form contains two tables. The first contains your input fields and their
associated headings. The second table contains two cells, the ones I
mentioned before as causing your alignment problem. The first cell contains
the "submit" button. The second cell contains a form that contains the
"abort" button. It is this form that is nested within the outer form

As I said, with invalid code it is up to the browser to do whatever it
wants. And, in this case, it's doing something entirely different that what
you think you have specified. You may think you have not nested the forms.
The browser thinks differently.

This is also probably why you failed to spot the alignment error. From
looking at the source code it is not even there. Only when the browser has
error corrected your code to what it is happy with, and introduces that
nested table, does your problem appear.

Now, do you think it might be a good idea to take your code over to the
validator and fix *all* the errors?

Jonathan N. Little

lrhorer wrote:
> Unless I am missing something, a single form can only spawn to a single
> page. It can't spawn conditionally to one of two pages. If it can,
> please let me know how. I can spawn an intermediate cgi script which
> parses its input and spawns to one sheet or the other based on its
> input (indeed, that is exactly what I do in the pupdate.cgi page), but
> I have not come across anything which will allow me to create a single
> form which spawns to file1 if one of its submit buttons is clicked and
> to file 2 if another submit button within the very same form is
> clicked. If there is a way, please tell me what it is.

"only spawn to a single page" If you mean a form can only have one
action, yes*. I showed you have to accomplish what you wish properly
with a frontend script:

<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_frm/thread/a23726057b69fd5b/a0d99e25d077a933?hl=en&tvc=1&q=Slightly+ugly+outpu t#a0d99e25d077a933>
[*] Technically can be done with JavaScript, but very-very brittle and
not at all recommended.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Denis McMahon

On 02/08/10 08:28, lrhorer wrote:

>> It's very simple. If you have a form *inside* a table then it must be
>> entirely within one single <td>.

> I'm not looking to put a form inside a table. I am looking for the
> form to span a table (actually, more than one table), with form
> elements (checkboxes) assigned to elements of the table. The problem
> is, putting two entities side-by-side requires the two entities both to
> be part of the same table row.
>
>> If you wish a table to be inside a form then the entire table must be
>> inside the form.

> That's not what you said. You said the entire form must be inside a
> single cell. On the pupdate.cgi sheet, placing all the tables wholly
> within the extents of the form is no problem.

No, you are getting confused.

There are two ways you can mix forms and tables. He has tried to explain
to you these two possibilities:

1) whole table inside a single form, eg:

<form>
<!-- table content -->
</form>

2) whole form inside a single td, eg:

<form><!-- form content --></form>
<!-- more tds in row -->
<!-- more trs in table -->

>>> How, then, is one to pass
>>> parameters from multiple rows of a table (one checkbox per row, for
>>> example - see

>> Put the entire table inside the form. That's the only valid way.

> See above. The question, though, still remains. Assume I place the
> tables entirely within the extents of form #1, with one element of a
> one line table being on the left hand side of the sheet (it can be half
> the width of the form above it, if need be) at the bottom. Now how do
> I place a second form on the same line with the table to the right of
> the one line, narrow table?

You can't. If your whole table is enclosed within a form, then that is
the only form that encloses the table. You can't have another form
inside a td inside the table.

>>> to another spreadsheet? With one form per tr, I would only be able
>>> to pass 1 value to the profile.cgi script when the user clicked
>>> <Delete>.
>>>
>>> How would you implement the two pages? Using multiple divs? That
>>> would make the scripts horribly more complex, especially for the
>>> pupdate.cgi script.

>> Why? You could name your Add submit buttons differently for each
>> section and fork in your script accordingly.

> Unless I am missing something, a single form can only spawn to a single
> page. It can't spawn conditionally to one of two pages. If it can,
> please let me know how. I can spawn an intermediate cgi script which
> parses its input and spawns to one sheet or the other based on its
> input (indeed, that is exactly what I do in the pupdate.cgi page), but
> I have not come across anything which will allow me to create a single
> form which spawns to file1 if one of its submit buttons is clicked and
> to file 2 if another submit button within the very same form is
> clicked. If there is a way, please tell me what it is.

Originally you were talking about radio buttons, now you're talking
about submit buttons.

Your best solution may be to give each of the submit buttons a different
value, and check on the value of submit in your server side script, then
call one of the other two scripts accordingly.

Failing that, you could (and I know some people won't like this) use
each submit button to call a javascript function like this:

<input type="submit" onclick="submit_to(this,'url-to-script1.cgi')">
<input type="submit" onclick="submit_to(this,'url-to-script2.cgi')">

The javascript function would look something like:

<script type="text/javascript">
function submit_to(btn,file)
{
btn.form.action=file;
return true;
}
</script>

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Jonathan N. Little

Denis McMahon wrote:
> Your best solution may be to give each of the submit buttons a different
> value, and check on the value of submit in your server side script, then
> call one of the other two scripts accordingly.
>
> Failing that, you could (and I know some people won't like this) use
> each submit button to call a javascript function like this:
>
> <input type="submit" onclick="submit_to(this,'url-to-script1.cgi')">
> <input type="submit" onclick="submit_to(this,'url-to-script2.cgi')">
>
> The javascript function would look something like:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> function submit_to(btn,file)
> {
> btn.form.action=file;
> return true;
> }
> </script>

No, this is not your *best* solution! In fact is highly *not*
recommended. Do not rely on client-side JavaScript to change an action
of a form. It is neither dependable nor secure.

The *best* solutions are either two separate forms or a single form with
action to a receiving frontend script that processes content based upon
the user input...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

lrhorer wrote:

Please do not trim attributes otherwise you cannot tell who said what!

[attributes restored]
> Denise Wrote:
>> lrhorer wrote:

<snip>

>> No, you are getting confused.

> No, I'm not confused. I understand that a form can span one or more
> tables or a form can be contained wholly within a single table.

No the second condition precisely is "form can be contained wholly
within a single table *cell*". A form cannot span cells when inside a table.

<snip>

> That's not what I asked. I understand the symmetry imposed by the
> rules. I am asking how to do this:
>
> Drop-Down1 Drop-Down2 Drop-Down3 Drop-Down4 Drop-Down5
> <Submit for Drops> <Submit for Abort>
>
> The<Submit for Drops> is the submit for the form containing all the
> drops. The<Submit for Abort> is a submit for a second form containing
> only hidden controls. That's it.

Well if you have two forms you are going to have problems with giving
the appearance second form's submit button *within* the rectangle of the
first. If you use CSS positioning MSIE does not play nice with
positioned form controls.

>> Originally you were talking about radio buttons, now you're talking
>> about submit buttons.

> Here we go again. A submit button is a type of radio button. It's a
> buttton one pushes to get a device (originally a radio) to do
> something.

No it is not. They are both form input controls but a submit button
action *submits* the form, a radio button does not.

>> Your best solution may be to give each of the submit buttons a
>> different value, and check on the value of submit in your server side
>> script, then call one of the other two scripts accordingly.

> I already mentioned that. More than once, and the first time in the
> very first paragraph of my very first post. Sixth sentence. It
> requires an additional intermediate script.

Yes it does.

> If there is no elegant way
> to handle it otherwise, then to be sure I can handle it that way.

Yes, it is what I have been telling you is the definitive solution. So
go do it and move on.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

lrhorer wrote:

Stop trimming attibutes.

> Jonathan wrote:

<snip>

>> I showed you have to accomplish what you wish properly
>> with a frontend script:

> You did? I don't see another response from you in the thread, unless
> you mean the one where you say, "The best solutions are either two
> separate forms or a single form with
> action to a receiving frontend script that processes content based upon
> the user input..."

Yes.

> <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_frm/thread/a23726057b69fd5b/a0d99e25d077a933?hl=en&tvc=1&q=Slightly+ugly+outpu t#a0d99e25d077a933>
>>

> This link doesn't come up properly in my browser.

It just goes to the above post.

>>[*] Technically can be done with JavaScript, but very-very brittle and
>> not at all recommended.

> I'd rather do the intermediate script, in any case. It's a little
> bulky and tedious, but easier to troubleshoot and, as you say, less
> brittle.

Absolutely. It is really the only solution.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

On 02/08/10 18:23, lrhorer wrote:

> Here we go again. A submit button is a type of radio button. It's a
> buttton one pushes to get a device (originally a radio) to do
> something.

No, in html forms, a radio button is a specific sort of input element
used to enforce a selection of one from many options. It does not
trigger a form submit. It is created with code such as:

<input type="radio" value="somevalue" name="groupname">

where every radio button in group "groupname" is linked such that when
any of the buttons is clicked, it is selected or checked, and all other
buttons in the group are unchecked.

A submit button is just a button. It is not, when talking about html
forms, a radio button. Likewise, a radio button does not submit a form.

As an aside, buttons existed before radios. The history of a "radio
button" is that originally, on some types of radio, each "button" on a
radio would select a different channel, and you could only listen to one
channel at once. Hence, on a radio as used in the term "radio button"
when referring to html, the button signifies an object where you can
only select one from many options.

You may perceive this to be a similar situation to selecting either
submit or abort, but you are not actually using "radio buttons" in the
sense in which the phrase is used in html, you are just using buttons.

>> Your best solution may be to give each of the submit buttons a
>> different value, and check on the value of submit in your server side
>> script, then call one of the other two scripts accordingly.

> I already mentioned that. More than once, and the first time in the
> very first paragraph of my very first post. Sixth sentence. It
> requires an additional intermediate script. If there is no elegant way
> to handle it otherwise, then to be sure I can handle it that way.

Yes, ultimately I think you have three possible solutions:

a) two submit buttons with different values, server side script, take
action based on the value of the submit field

b) two submit buttons with the abort button calling client side script
to change the form's action property prior to the form submit

c) if you don't need to pass any data from the form to the abort script,
replace the abort button with a plain link to the abort script, and use
css to make the submit button and abort link look the same.

Regards

Denis McMahon

Re: Slightly ugly output Andy HTML 11 08-04-2010 04:34 AM
Re: Slightly ugly output Denis McMahon HTML 2 08-02-2010 01:40 PM
get output of du / ls command - currently ugly code ... Esmail Python 2 08-13-2009 08:13 PM
The UGLY output from P&S superzooms Rich Digital Photography 34 12-23-2007 09:30 AM
Mozilla Firebird 0.7 has ugly font Nick de Graeve Firefox 1 02-03-2004 05:56 PM

Advertisments