Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Things are getting a bit spotty with the 500/4 Nikkor!!

Re: Things are getting a bit spotty with the 500/4 Nikkor!!

Bruce

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 06:41:15 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:21:28 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Your inability to control depth of field (because of your camera's
>>small sensor) means that foreground and background elements of the
>>shot that should be rendered out of focus, can't be. The result is
>>that they detract from the subject.

>Using shallow DOF in this shot would totally destroy why it was taken and
>why it has to be shot this way in order for it to work.
>
><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4849242652_76160e4a2c.jpg>

Nice grass. And so sharp!

Look how well it hides that inconvenient animal ...

Superzooms Still Win

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:51:22 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 06:41:15 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:21:28 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Your inability to control depth of field (because of your camera's
>>>small sensor) means that foreground and background elements of the
>>>shot that should be rendered out of focus, can't be. The result is
>>>that they detract from the subject.

>>Using shallow DOF in this shot would totally destroy why it was taken and
>>why it has to be shot this way in order for it to work.
>>
>><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4849242652_76160e4a2c.jpg>

>Nice grass. And so sharp!
>
>Look how well it hides that inconvenient animal ...

Whoosh! Right over that cavity on your neck.

You don't get out much into the real world. That much is more than clear.

Go ahead, post some more BLURRY shots, so I can keep laughing about them.
Every DSLR owner posts them with too shallow DOF. Even the OP moron of this
thread used too shallow DOF (AGAIN), the foreground leaves are sharper than
the deer. Meaning that image (if it was rescued from its color, exposure,
and composition disaster) couldn't be printed any larger than 7"x5", if
lucky, because the eye would always be drawn to the leaves. Every viewer
wondering why the main subject wasn't as sharp. That's what you get for
having too shallow DOF. Then they'd move onto anything else to look at that
wouldn't annoy their senses so much. You're all just too much of ****ing
idiots to realize why shallow DOF works less often than it actually works.
But you go ahead, keep trying to justify it. Then I just get to laugh more
often.

Bruce

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 07:06:35 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:51:22 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 06:41:15 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Using shallow DOF in this shot would totally destroy why it was taken and
>>>why it has to be shot this way in order for it to work.
>>>
>>><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4849242652_76160e4a2c.jpg>

>>Nice grass. And so sharp!
>>
>>Look how well it hides that inconvenient animal ...

>Whoosh! Right over that cavity on your neck.
>
>You don't get out much into the real world. That much is more than clear.

You're right. I don't take an afternoon drive, stop to take a
snapshot of a waterfall from the roadside, then claim it was some work
of art taken after a 14 day trek in the wilderness.

No, I don't do that at all.

Peter

"Doug McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i34eka$q0a$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/4847902759_058421b547_b.jpg>
>>>

> Why do people post URLs that are "unavailable"?

Obviously because we are not worthy of getting more than a limited view of
this "great art."
<\end sarcastic tag>

--
Peter

ransley

On Jul 31, 11:50*pm, Superzooms Still Win <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:30:23 -0400, "Tim Conway" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Larry Thong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >> Well, maybe just a little spotty.

> >> <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/Spots.jpg>

> >Nice shot. *Just needs a catchlight in the eyes. *

> Blue foliage, red fur, someone sorely needs a camera, monitor, or eyes
> adjusted. Did anyone mention the worthless underexposed composition yet?
> Interesting that the leaves in front are more in focus than the deer. Looks
> like its just as much of a problem with camera and lenses as it is the
> snapshooter.
>
> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/4847902759_058421b547_b.jpg>

No you have a screwed up computer, I see no blue or red fur and the
exposure fits the shot, what a bunch of assholes here.

Bruce

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 13:47:39 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 19:25:10 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 07:06:35 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Whoosh! Right over that cavity on your neck.
>>>
>>>You don't get out much into the real world. That much is more than clear.

>>You're right. I don't take an afternoon drive, stop to take a
>>snapshot of a waterfall from the roadside, then claim it was some work
>>of art taken after a 14 day trek in the wilderness.
>>
>>No, I don't do that at all.
>>

>Doesn't matter what you believe.

What I believe obviously matters to you, otherwise why reply?

Robert Coe

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:06:58 +1000, "N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "Superzooms Still Win" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: >
: > No, but other varieties, which generally are grayish-green. What does an
: > Australian Eucalypt tree have to do with the severely bad color shifts in
: > this image? There's not one Eucalypt leaf anywhere in that photo. It looks
: > like the numbnutz forgot to take it off of cloudy white-balance or
: > something. Or even worse, left it on auto white-balance which would easily
: > account for the odd colors in this image. The auto white-balance trying to
: > overcompensate for the green light source from the canopy so it removed
: > green from the leaves turning them blue and removed green from the brown
: > of
: > the fur giving it that nasty red magenta cast. If you've not done a lot of
: > photography under a dense foliage canopy you probably don't have one clue
: > about any of these things. There are many many many situations in nature
: > photography where you CANNOT use auto white-balance.
: >
: > But then how would any of you crappy snapshooters know about this when all
: > of you use your cameras in full auto point and shoot mode at all times. If
: > the camera won't do it for you then you think it's supposed to be that way
: > or you just didn't buy a camera that was expensive enough. Idiots, one and
: > all.
:
: Gawd, have you never processed a RAW file?

He eats them for lunch. He used to run a sushi bar on the Ginza, you know.

Bob

LOL!

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 20:08:36 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> in you'd wind up shot - to say the least.
>>>
>>> Take it as a warning. Other people might not be so patient with you as
>>> those in these newsgroups.

>> Trolling off-topic again?
>>
>> Ask me if I give a ****. I also used to tend bar in a rowdy biker-bar for a
>> few years. I'm also an excellent marksman with both rifle and compound bow
>> (crossbow too, but those are so easy it shouldn't count).

>I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have
>been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them
>more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs
>for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time
>efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.
>
>I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot
>bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook
>Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a
>veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.
>
>Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly
>defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious
>army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the
>subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large
>suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On
>Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.
>
>I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie.
>Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear.
>I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have
>been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I
>toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I
>bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in
>international botany circles. Children trust me.
>
>I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy.
>I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day
>and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I
>know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have
>performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week;
>when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I
>successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a
>small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.
>
>I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On
>weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years
>ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have
>made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster
>oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan,
>cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the
>Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and

Sucks to be as astoundingly insecure as you, don't it.

LOL!

How many more of these ****ingly useless trolls are going to go on and on
about anything BUT photography now, is anyone's guess.

LOL!!!!!

Superzooms Still Win

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 20:43:01 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Superzooms Still Win wrote:
>> severely bad color shifts in
>> this image? There's not one Eucalypt leaf anywhere in that photo. It looks
>> like the numbnutz forgot to take it off of cloudy white-balance or
>> something. Or even worse, left it on auto white-balance which would easily
>> account for the odd colors in this image. The auto white-balance trying to
>> overcompensate for the green light source from the canopy so it removed
>> green from the leaves turning them blue

>Reducing the blue channel improves things a little bit (increase
>yellow).

> Not increasing green, which makes a mess of it.

Translation: Restores the natural ambience of the shot but most people are
so ****ing stupid that they need every white and gray object in a naturally
lit scene to be perfectly white and gray. Destroying the true scene and how
it should appear to them. Not unlike the minds of everyone for the last
half of a century who have had their chroma sense blown-out by garish
advertising and oversaturated media images everywhere. So now they want all
their nature photography to look just like every neon sign in Times Square
too.

p.s. Thanks for proving that you know nothing of the natural world, nor
decent photography for that matter.

> If anything the
>greens could be dropped a little and magenta boosted.
>

>> and removed green from the brown of
>> the fur giving it that nasty red magenta cast. If you've not done a lot of
>> photography under a dense foliage canopy you probably don't have one clue
>> about any of these things. There are many many many situations in nature
>> photography where you CANNOT use auto white-balance.

Superzooms Still Win

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 21:12:35 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Superzooms Still Win wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 19:25:10 +0100, Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> You're right. I don't take an afternoon drive, stop to take a
>>> snapshot of a waterfall from the roadside, then claim it was some work
>>> of art taken after a 14 day trek in the wilderness.
>>>
>>> No, I don't do that at all.
>>>

>> Doesn't matter what you believe. I know I wasn't on any road or in any
>> vehicle when I shot that photo. But why is it that in all other images of
>> those falls posted on the net that you can't see the east wall of the falls
>> but in my photo it is clearly seen and makes the falls look so much better?

>like this?
>http://img43.imageshack.us/i/pbasetj...marthafal.jpg/

COOL! You found one of the people that stole some of the images from my
original web-pages. THANKS!

But the one on the left still doesn't show the image being taken from the
same location and angle. If you look at the strata in the rock structure on
that east wall, you can easily tell that mine was taken from a much lower
and further west vantage point than all motor-tourists shoot from.

Try again ****wad! Sucks to never get out into the natural world like you
never do, doesn't it. This is going to keep burning you to no end. I love
it! Playing with basement-living trolls is turning into a fun hobby, making
their lives more miserable than they already are.

LOL!