Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: My Boot Times

Re: My Boot Times

Craig Sutton

"Suzie Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Did a bit of Tiding up.
>
> Bios takes 56sec to load, as it has support for 8 IDE drives and 4 SATA
> ports and 8 usb ports.
>

> This is a dual boot system
>

> Win XP 3 Min's, Win7 1 min
>

> Loads of App's in XP but only 4 are actually loaded..

Try this program
http://www.soluto.com/

John

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:24:50 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:

> "Suzie Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Did a bit of Tiding up.
>>
>> Bios takes 56sec to load, as it has support for 8 IDE drives and 4 SATA
>> ports and 8 usb ports.
>>

>> This is a dual boot system
>>

>> Win XP 3 Min's, Win7 1 min
>>

>> Loads of App's in XP but only 4 are actually loaded..
>>

> Try this program
> http://www.soluto.com/

Have you tried this programme Craig, if so what is your opinion of the
software?

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:24:50 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
>
> > "Suzie Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>

> >> Did a bit of Tiding up.
> >>
> >> Bios takes 56sec to load, as it has support for 8 IDE drives and 4 SATA
> >> ports and 8 usb ports.
> >>

> >> This is a dual boot system
> >>

> >> Win XP 3 Min's, Win7 1 min
> >>

> >> Loads of App's in XP but only 4 are actually loaded..
> >>

> > Try this program
> > http://www.soluto.com/

> Have you tried this programme Craig, if so what is your opinion of the
> software?

I prefer to manually tweak...

http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Category:Services

--
Duncan.

Craig Sutton

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:24:50 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
>
>> "Suzie Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> Did a bit of Tiding up.
>>>
>>> Bios takes 56sec to load, as it has support for 8 IDE drives and 4 SATA
>>> ports and 8 usb ports.
>>>

>>> This is a dual boot system
>>>

>>> Win XP 3 Min's, Win7 1 min
>>>

>>> Loads of App's in XP but only 4 are actually loaded..
>>>

>> Try this program
>> http://www.soluto.com/

> Have you tried this programme Craig, if so what is your opinion of the
> software?

I ran it but didn't proceed with the suggested changes

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> I prefer to manually tweak...
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>
> http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Category:Services

Cool, thanks for the reminder, it's been ages since I've been there
(although I found that I still actually have the site bookmarked). An
excellent resource IMO. I must do a (TI) backup and spend a few hours doing
some tweaking. I have too many programmes running, my machine is getting
bogged down.

<rant>
I hate the way that most of the stuff I install not only starts with Windows
but also updates automatically by default. Most often, if I install a
programme and want to use it I'd like to start it myself, use it, then close
it when I've finished. Not have it already running all the damn time.
</rant>

In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and often,
usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at random times)
I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by *something* or other
auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that will tell me what's
downloading at any given time and would love to find one.

Any suggestions? TIA.
--
Shaun.

"Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

Malcolm

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:05:03 +1200
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and
> often, usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at
> random times) I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by
> *something* or other auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that
> will tell me what's downloading at any given time and would love to
> find one.
>
> Any suggestions? TIA.

Hi
Wireshark will show what's happening.

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.5-default

Dave Doe

In article <i37q02$520$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> > I prefer to manually tweak...
> >
> > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
> >
> > http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Category:Services

> Cool, thanks for the reminder, it's been ages since I've been there
> (although I found that I still actually have the site bookmarked). An
> excellent resource IMO. I must do a (TI) backup and spend a few hours doing
> some tweaking. I have too many programmes running, my machine is getting
> bogged down.
>
> <rant>
> I hate the way that most of the stuff I install not only starts with Windows
> but also updates automatically by default. Most often, if I install a
> programme and want to use it I'd like to start it myself, use it, then close
> it when I've finished. Not have it already running all the damn time.
> </rant>
>
> In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and often,
> usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at random times)
> I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by *something* or other
> auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that will tell me what's
> downloading at any given time and would love to find one.
>
> Any suggestions? TIA.

What Malcolm says - great wee network diag tool.

--
Duncan.

Squiggle

On 3/08/2010 1:05 p.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the intarwebs:

> In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and often,
> usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at random times)
> I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by *something* or other
> auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that will tell me what's
> downloading at any given time and would love to find one.
>
> Any suggestions? TIA.

Next time you see it try opening a command prompt and typing
"netstat -abn >> Whodunnit.txt". If it is not running as a service you
should see which executable file opened the connections.

Combine that with a wireshark capture and you should be able to identify
who the culprit is.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:05:03 +1200
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and
>> often, usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at
>> random times) I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by
>> *something* or other auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that
>> will tell me what's downloading at any given time and would love to
>> find one.
>>
>> Any suggestions? TIA.

> Hi
> Wireshark will show what's happening.

Thanks Malcolm.
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
> On 3/08/2010 1:05 p.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the
> intarwebs:
>
>> In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top'
>> and often, usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm
>> and at random times) I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by
>> *something* or other auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that
>> will tell me what's downloading at any given time and would love to
>> find one.
>>
>> Any suggestions? TIA.

> Next time you see it try opening a command prompt and typing
> "netstat -abn >> Whodunnit.txt". If it is not running as a service
> you should see which executable file opened the connections.
>
> Combine that with a wireshark capture and you should be able to
> identify who the culprit is.

Cheers Squiggs. I've gone through a lot of my background proggies and
stopped auto-updating anyway. I'm sure many MB's of data is being downloaded
needlessly.