Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Waterfall on Mt. Rainier

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Waterfall on Mt. Rainier

 
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: deep ravine.
:
: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
:
: LOL!

I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
LOL!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
>: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
>: deep ravine.
>:
>: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
>:
>: LOL!
>
>I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".
>
>Bob


I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
given (or perchance already have).



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MadHatter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Jul 31, 8:26*am, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >:
> >: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
> >: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
> >: deep ravine.
> >:
> >: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
> >:
> >: LOL!

>
> >I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

>
> >Bob

>
> I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
> dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
> given (or perchance already have).


I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?
 
Reply With Quote
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:04:01 -0700 (PDT), MadHatter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jul 31, 8:26*am, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >:
>> >: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
>> >: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
>> >: deep ravine.
>> >:
>> >: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
>> >:
>> >: LOL!

>>
>> >I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".

>>
>> >Bob

>>
>> I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
>> dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
>> given (or perchance already have).

>
>I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
>Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?


More like he was hiking through old copies of _National Geographic_
with his scanner by his side.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
LOL!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:39:22 -0400, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:04:01 -0700 (PDT), MadHatter
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 31, 8:26*am, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:03:58 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> >:
>>> >: While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
>>> >: the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
>>> >: deep ravine.
>>> >:
>>> >: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
>>> >:
>>> >: LOL!
>>>
>>> >I guess their name would pretty well have to be "Umbrella Falls".
>>>
>>> >Bob
>>>
>>> I thought "Fishtail Falls" would be a more fitting name. There are already
>>> dozens of falls called "Umbrella". But I could care less what name they are
>>> given (or perchance already have).

>>
>>I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
>>Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?


Could be!

>
>More like he was hiking through old copies of _National Geographic_
>with his scanner by his side.


My, what a compliment! But then I've often been approached to sell my
photography to them. So this comes as no real surprise.

LOL!

 
Reply With Quote
 
LOL!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:55:38 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>LOL! wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:39:22 -0400, tony cooper
>>>>>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500, LOL!<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>> :
>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
>>>>>> : deep ravine.
>>>>>> :
>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
>>>> ...
>>>> I'm 99% certain that this is Martha Falls. Were you hiking in
>>>> Stephens Canyon below Bench and Snow Lakes?

>>
>> Could be!

>
>http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
>"Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
>viewed. Unicorn Creek drops over 600' in a series of drop highlighted
>by a 125' tall fan shaped drop near the top and the final 150' plunge
>into Stevens Canyon. There isn't really anywhere to see the entire
>falls clearly, but the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
>itself."
>Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.


What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

LOL!

 
Reply With Quote
 
LOL!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>LOL! wrote:
>>>>>>>> :
>>>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
>>>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
>>>>>>>> : deep ravine.
>>>>>>>> :
>>>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
>>>
>>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
>>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
>>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
>>> itself."
>>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.

>>
>> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

>
>No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
>a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
>mountain as seen from the road?


When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
to find more.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:32:21 -0500, LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
: wrote:
:
: >LOL! wrote:
: >>>>>>>> :
: >>>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: >>>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: >>>>>>>> : deep ravine.
: >>>>>>>> :
: >>>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
: >>>
: >>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
: >>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
: >>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
: >>> itself."
: >>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.
: >>
: >> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
: >
: >No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
: >a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
: >mountain as seen from the road?
:
: When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
: usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
: damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
: below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
: like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
: to find more.

If a wilderness hiker paid that little attention to his surroundings, he might
not survive long. If you get lost out of range of a cell tower, knowing where
the nearest road is may be your best hope. But it sounds as though you don't
even carry a map.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>LOL! wrote:
>>>>>>>> :
>>>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
>>>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
>>>>>>>> : deep ravine.
>>>>>>>> :
>>>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
>>>
>>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
>>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
>>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
>>> itself."
>>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.

>>
>> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?

>
>No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
>a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
>mountain as seen from the road?



You have to sympathise.

He takes a two week trek, suffering untold hardships, and happens to
find a remote, unnamed, unmarked waterfall that he believes only very
few people have ever seen. He takes a snapshot of it.

Only later does he find out that he could have taken an easy afternoon
drive and taken his snapshot from the side of the road.

Don't you just *hate* it when that happens?

As I said, you have to sympathise.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2010
"LOL!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have thousands of other photos from that
> area that nobody has ever taken, of things they've never seen, nor will
> ever see.
>


We agree, "nobody has ever taken,"
We know. but we think they do exist in your mind.


--
Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mt. Rainier: Is It Necessary? Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-07-2006 02:27 PM
Panoramas of Mountain Rainier Xiaoxin Yin Digital Photography 2 07-10-2006 03:02 PM
Panoramas of Mountain Rainier Xiaoxin Yin Digital Photography 2 07-09-2006 05:54 AM
CD-RW and CD-MRW (Mr Rainier) John Lee Digital Photography 6 03-31-2005 10:55 PM
Waterfall stills and Cloud time-lapse paul Digital Photography 3 02-23-2005 09:20 PM



Advertisments