Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > McAfee - A Free Alternative

McAfee - A Free Alternative

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

Good evening all,
With Bigtime going, it'll most likely take my McAfee with it.
So, is there a reliable widely acclaimed free alternative?
And / or another ISP offering a "free" subscription as part of their
packages.

Tia ................. L

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

--
Duncan.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:09:30 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Good evening all,
>> With Bigtime going, it'll most likely take my McAfee with it.
>> So, is there a reliable widely acclaimed free alternative?
>> And / or another ISP offering a "free" subscription as part of their
>> packages.
>>
>> Tia ................. L

>http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

That's cool ............ Thanks Dave ........... L.

AD.

On Aug 2, 12:42*pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:09:30 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

> Its still in Beta

Huh? While there is a beta out for the next upcoming version, the
current version was released ages ago.

--
Cheers
Anton

AD.

On Aug 2, 2:05*pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Its never been finalized..

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...ity_Essentials

"The final build was released on 29 September 2009"

"On 19 July 2010 Microsoft released the beta version of Microsoft
Security Essentials 2.0."

Version 1.0 has been out for nearly a year. Version 2.0 is in beta.

--
Cheers
Anton

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:44:54 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Suzie Wong wrote:

> >http://free.avg.com/au-en/homepage

> That is a Dog of a program and slows your PC down..

Hello, Roger Sheppard

I have been running AVG for a year and a half, and it
does not slow my PC down.

If you have actually tried AVG yourself, then I wonder
what is different between your installation and mine?

> Avast is one of the Better ones or Anti Vir...

Avast alsio causes a problem by the way it automatically switches
connections to SSL when you don't want SSL.

1. Here is Roger Sheppard having this problem with Avast and Albasani
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.u...0de9844ad4ef8d

2. Here is someone else having this same problem with Avast and Giganews
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.u...a406bfe6886311

--
Regards
Ralph

John Little

On Aug 2, 9:56*pm, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been running AVG for a year and a half, and it
> does not slow my PC down. *

I have removed AVG from two XP PCs here and their performance in
Windows improved markedly, especially in the first few minutes after
logging on. I suspect that 1 GiB RAM is not enough for XP SP3 and
AVG.

I'd also developed a dislike of the company, they seemed to be not
good citizens.

Regards, John

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:12:06 -0700 (PDT), in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
John Little wrote:

> On Aug 2, 9:56*pm, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have been running AVG for a year and a half, and it
> > does not slow my PC down. *

> I have removed AVG from two XP PCs here and their performance in
> Windows improved markedly, especially in the first few minutes after
> logging on. I suspect that 1 GiB RAM is not enough for XP SP3 and
> AVG.

I had no problem with Win2K and 512 MiB or RAM.

> I'd also developed a dislike of the company, they seemed to be not
> good citizens.

The sentence lacks explanation and references to verify.
The sentence by itself might mean anything, such as they
have not tithed money to someone's favourite TV preacher.

--
Regards
Ralph

Dave Doe

In article <160f6fc1-2707-4686-8725-fa3aff31e477
@g6g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> On Aug 2, 9:56*pm, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have been running AVG for a year and a half, and it
> > does not slow my PC down. *

> I have removed AVG from two XP PCs here and their performance in
> Windows improved markedly, especially in the first few minutes after
> logging on. I suspect that 1 GiB RAM is not enough for XP SP3 and
> AVG.
>
> I'd also developed a dislike of the company, they seemed to be not
> good citizens.
>
> Regards, John

If you have a low spec PC, Avast Home (free edition) might be the best
go. It's fairly light. You can tweak it and turn off all the
protection (permanentely) bar the realtime protection (which is all that
is needed).

Alternatively, try Microsoft's Security Essentials beta 2 (which is also
faster and lighter than the release version). Just google it.

--
Duncan.

Sweetpea

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:44:13 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

> Alternatively, try Microsoft's Security Essentials beta 2 (which is also
> faster and lighter than the release version). Just google it.

Why on earth would you want to use a security tool released by the same
corporation that produced the buggy crappy insecure flawed OS that you
need to protect from people using all those flaws?