Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Image Size and Compression.

Re: Image Size and Compression.

Ofnuts

On 01/08/2010 01:48, Ryan McGinnis wrote:

> On 7/31/2010 3:42 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>> Ryan McGinnis<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd take a different approach: why try to reduce filesize? Storage is
>>> incredibly cheap and getting cheaper by the hour. If you are not
>>> shooting RAW, a terabyte drive will hold more photos than you're likely
>>> to take in your lifetime on a 10MP camera, and they run around $150.

>> A proper backup concept will cost much more than $150.

> Depends how you run it. I go with one primary drive and one secondary
> drive for temp backups of new stuff. Every month or so I archive the
> new stuff to two sets of DVDs, delete it off of the secondary drive, and
> place one set of DVDs in a bank vault. DVDs are pretty cheap.

But not very reliable. Ever tried to read back your oldest ones?

--
Bertrand

Ryan McGinnis

Ofnuts

On 01/08/2010 05:50, Ryan McGinnis wrote:

> On 7/31/2010 7:13 PM, Ofnuts wrote:
>
>>> Depends how you run it. I go with one primary drive and one secondary
>>> drive for temp backups of new stuff. Every month or so I archive the
>>> new stuff to two sets of DVDs, delete it off of the secondary drive, and
>>> place one set of DVDs in a bank vault. DVDs are pretty cheap.

>> But not very reliable. Ever tried to read back your oldest ones?

> By the time they are no longer readable (I figure 7 to 10 years from
> burn date) it will be time to shift to a new format. Digital storage is
> not like film; you don't store it in one form for the entire lifetime of
> the image. CDs move to DVDs, DVDs probably move to Blu-Ray, perhaps one
> day it all moves into the cloud (I also have all toned final JPG files
> stored in the cloud) -- who know what the future holds. But if floppy
> disks and old tape drives teach you anything, it's that you're going to
> have to update storage medium with time.

And format... I had some old Photo-CDs I converted to TIFF because
finding PCD-Capable software is getting difficult. And this is also how
I found that some of my CD had errors (fortunately, on files I had
elsewhere).

--
Bertrand

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Ryan McGinnis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7/31/2010 3:42 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>> Ryan McGinnis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> incredibly cheap and getting cheaper by the hour. If you are not
>>> shooting RAW, a terabyte drive will hold more photos than you're likely
>>> to take in your lifetime on a 10MP camera, and they run around $150.

>> A proper backup concept will cost much more than $150.

> Depends how you run it.

Well, there's secure and there is cheap, choose one and the
opposite of the other.

> I go with one primary drive and one secondary
> drive for temp backups of new stuff. Every month or so I archive the
> new stuff to two sets of DVDs, delete it off of the secondary drive, and
> place one set of DVDs in a bank vault. DVDs are pretty cheap.

I've seen enough burned DVDs to only trust them when read back,
compared with the original, checked for reading problems (minimum:
reading speed graph), and backed with dvdisaster[1]. And then I
don't trust them very far --- a yearly check might well be needed
for long term storage.

So you'd spend much time handling DVDs which has also costs,
in time, if not in dollars.

-Wolfgang

[1] http://dvdisaster.net/en/

John Turco

Ryan McGinnis wrote:

> On 7/31/2010 7:13 PM, Ofnuts wrote:
>
> >> Depends how you run it. I go with one primary drive and one secondary
> >> drive for temp backups of new stuff. Every month or so I archive the
> >> new stuff to two sets of DVDs, delete it off of the secondary drive, and
> >> place one set of DVDs in a bank vault. DVDs are pretty cheap.

> > But not very reliable. Ever tried to read back your oldest ones?

> By the time they are no longer readable (I figure 7 to 10 years from
> burn date) it will be time to shift to a new format. Digital storage is
> not like film; you don't store it in one form for the entire lifetime of
> the image. CDs move to DVDs, DVDs probably move to Blu-Ray, perhaps one
> day it all moves into the cloud (I also have all toned final JPG files
> stored in the cloud) -- who know what the future holds. But if floppy
> disks and old tape drives teach you anything, it's that you're going to
> have to update storage medium with time.

For archival purposes, DVD-RAM would be best. It's more expensive and
less compatible, than other DVD formats, but...it's the most reliable,
also.

(DVD-RAM is optimized for data storage.)

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>