Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: DVD movies from a computer to a TV for viewing?

Re: DVD movies from a computer to a TV for viewing?

Jud Hendrix

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 03:56:19 -0700, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Artreid,
>Modern LCD TVs have plenty of video input options.
>These are the options, from best to worst:
>HDMI
>VGA
>Component (3 video signals)

[insert] RGB [/insert]

>Super Video (SVideo)

Sometimes wrongly called SVHS Video.

>Video

Sometimes called "composite".

>Check your graphic card user manual or just look at the back of it and
>you'll see the different available connectors.
>The DVI connector can output HDMI and VGA, depending on the adapter you plug
>in there. Those adapters are quite cheap and usually come inside your graphic
>adapter carton box.

Also, quite often videocards have breakout cables for different signals. My
ancient Nvdia 8500 has a break-out cable for component and I think also
composite and S-Video.

jud

Carlos

Jud,
The Component output (3 RCA connectors) is not quite RGB.
It is composed of:
Y (luminance, i.e. Black and White)
CB (blue minus luminance)
CR (red minus luminance)

The electronics inside the TV set rebuilds RGB from those 3 signals.

And you are right, people tend to improperly refer Super Video as Super VHS.
Supervideo carries two signals:
Y (luminance)
C (color or crominance)

Cheap adapters convert the two supervideo Y and C signals to a single video
(composite) signal by connectig a 1 nanoF capacitor from crominance to
luminance.
The single output is then taken from luminance.

Video delivered by graphic cards is not quite composite also because it
carries only video and not video+audio like the composite signal does.

Carlos