Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Profiling and generating call graphs

Profiling and generating call graphs

Andrea Crotti

I'm trying to use the wonderful [1] gprof2dot to generate graphs of
function calls.

And I think I'm missing something because I don't get all the possible
calls and the percent of time used.
I added all the possible options found like
gcc -pg -g (when compiling)

And for gprof and gprof2dot
gprof --static-call-graph -m 0 $PROG | $GPROF2DOT -e0.01 -n0.01

But still I don't get anything really that makes sense.
Any idea?
Thanks

Footnotes:

[1] http://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/Gprof2Dot

Andrea Crotti

> I'm trying to use the wonderful [1] gprof2dot to generate graphs of
> function calls.
>
> And I think I'm missing something because I don't get all the possible
> calls and the percent of time used.
> I added all the possible options found like
> gcc -pg -g (when compiling)
>
> And for gprof and gprof2dot
> gprof --static-call-graph -m 0 $PROG | $GPROF2DOT -e0.01 -n0.01
>
> But still I don't get anything really that makes sense.
> Any idea?
> Thanks
>

> Footnotes:
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/Gprof2Dot

Nobody using gprof?
Maybe could you suggest something else to generate nice call graphs from
code execution?

Thanks