Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > slow logoff / shutdown

slow logoff / shutdown

SP

Hi

My laptop runs on Windows 7 Pro. There are 2 users on this laptop, and both
are in the Administrator group. Everything was running fine until I changed
the account type on one of the users from Administrator to Standard User.

As a result, I noticed that the Standard User took several minutes to log
off or shut down. The Event Viewer even logged Event 6006:
The winlogon notification subscriber <Sens> took 213 second(s) to handle the
notification event (Logoff).

To confirm the problem, I changed the Standard User back to Administrator,
and the slow logoff / shutdown problem went away.

If you have come across this issue, please let me know if there is a
solution . If you have not come across this problem, please test this issue
on your Win 7 system to see if you experience the same problem.

Thanks so much
Steve

SP

Hello again

Further testing (shutdown/logoff/restart, etc.) revealed that changing
Standard User back to Administrator did NOT quite solve the problem. It
did, but then the slow logoff came back at different times later. So, now
I'm not sure how all these slow logoffs came about. I know that there is a
slow logoff problem.

Sorry about the mix-up, but I thought I had to keep everyone posted.

Steve

"SP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> My laptop runs on Windows 7 Pro. There are 2 users on this laptop, and
> both are in the Administrator group. Everything was running fine until I
> changed the account type on one of the users from Administrator to
> Standard User.
>
> As a result, I noticed that the Standard User took several minutes to log
> off or shut down. The Event Viewer even logged Event 6006:
> The winlogon notification subscriber <Sens> took 213 second(s) to handle
> the notification event (Logoff).
>
> To confirm the problem, I changed the Standard User back to Administrator,
> and the slow logoff / shutdown problem went away.
>
> If you have come across this issue, please let me know if there is a
> solution . If you have not come across this problem, please test this
> issue on your Win 7 system to see if you experience the same problem.
>
> Thanks so much
> Steve

Carlos

SP,
Close all open applications before logging off or shutting down.
Check if that solves the issue.
Do you get any messages before logging of or shutting down about some
application that is taking too long to close?
Carlos

"SP" wrote:

> Hello again
>
> Further testing (shutdown/logoff/restart, etc.) revealed that changing
> Standard User back to Administrator did NOT quite solve the problem. It
> did, but then the slow logoff came back at different times later. So, now
> I'm not sure how all these slow logoffs came about. I know that there is a
> slow logoff problem.
>
> Sorry about the mix-up, but I thought I had to keep everyone posted.
>
> Steve
>
> "SP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > My laptop runs on Windows 7 Pro. There are 2 users on this laptop, and
> > both are in the Administrator group. Everything was running fine until I
> > changed the account type on one of the users from Administrator to
> > Standard User.
> >
> > As a result, I noticed that the Standard User took several minutes to log
> > off or shut down. The Event Viewer even logged Event 6006:
> > The winlogon notification subscriber <Sens> took 213 second(s) to handle
> > the notification event (Logoff).
> >
> > To confirm the problem, I changed the Standard User back to Administrator,
> > and the slow logoff / shutdown problem went away.
> >
> > If you have come across this issue, please let me know if there is a
> > solution . If you have not come across this problem, please test this
> > issue on your Win 7 system to see if you experience the same problem.
> >
> > Thanks so much
> > Steve
> >

> .

SP_1

No, there was no application running prior to logoff/shutdown. I suspected
that the antivirus software might have been the cause, so I removed it.
But, that wasn't the problem. All I did was to go into Windows. Wait about
30 seconds for everything to settle. Then, logoff or shutdown.

Here are some strange facts...

After going into Windows, either a logoff or a shutdown will result in a
slow exit. For a logoff, Windows would say Logoff and stay there for like
forever until it logs off. For a shutdown, Windows would first go into a
Logoff...would then stay in Logoff mode forever...when it's done with a long
logoff, then the Shutdown is pretty fast. So, it seemed that something
wrong is in the Logoff part of the exit.

Another thing I noticed was...After a Logoff, I would log on into Windows,
and subsequent Logoff or Shutdown would be normal. So, again, not only
something wrong with Logoff, something is wrong only to the first logoff
(and not subsequent ones).

Steve

news:(E-Mail Removed)...