Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > DVD movies from a computer to a TV for viewing?

DVD movies from a computer to a TV for viewing?

Artreid

I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.

Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to a TV
for viewing?
I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
TV.

Jeff Gaines

On 29/07/2010 in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Artreid wrote:

>I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
>
>Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to a
>TV for viewing?
>I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
>TV.

An XBox will play DVD's, as will other manufacturers' equivalents.

A Western Digital TV live is quite versatile in what it can display on a
TV. It will either read data from an attached USB drive (not provided with
the TV Live) or you can network it. I backed up my DVD's (using DVD
Shrink) and put the resultant files on a USB drive and they all play fine
on the TV Live. Full quality picture and sound.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Dominic Payer

It depends what connections your TV has and what outputs from the PC are
available. It is just a question of connecting audio and video outputs
from the PC to the TV. Nothing special is required. The TV is just a
secondary monitor - the only monitor if you have a Home Theater PC (HTPC).

If the TV has an HDMI input and your graphics card an HDMI output, or
the graphics card can accept a DVI to HDMI converter, you can use that
if you install a HDMI audio driver.

Otherwise, you need separate video and audio cables.

On 29/07/2010 08:11, Artreid wrote:
> I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
>
> Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to
> a TV for viewing?
> I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
> TV.

barb bowman

Only if you are directly connected. DRM prevents doing this over the network.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 03:11:25 -0400, "Artreid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
>
>Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to a TV
>for viewing?
>I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
>TV.

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

barb bowman

true, but you can't just put a DVD in the drive of a Windows 7 machine and auto
magically send it over the network to another destination like a TV because DRM
prevents this.

On 29 Jul 2010 08:03:37 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I backed up my DVD's (using DVD
>Shrink) and put the resultant files on a USB drive and they all play fine
>on the TV Live. Full quality picture and sound.

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Artreid

Thanks I'll take a look for the HDMI connections...Art

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It depends what connections your TV has and what outputs from the PC are
> available. It is just a question of connecting audio and video outputs
> from the PC to the TV. Nothing special is required. The TV is just a
> secondary monitor - the only monitor if you have a Home Theater PC (HTPC).
>
> If the TV has an HDMI input and your graphics card an HDMI output, or the
> graphics card can accept a DVI to HDMI converter, you can use that if you
> install a HDMI audio driver.
>
> Otherwise, you need separate video and audio cables.
>

> On 29/07/2010 08:11, Artreid wrote:
>> I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
>>
>> Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to
>> a TV for viewing?
>> I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
>> TV.

Jeff Gaines

On 29/07/2010 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> barb
bowman wrote:

>rue, but you can't just put a DVD in the drive of a Windows 7 machine and
>auto
>magically send it over the network to another destination like a TV
>because DRM
>prevents this.

I've not tried that but it looks like another good reason to avoid Win7.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

Carlos

Artreid,
Modern LCD TVs have plenty of video input options.
These are the options, from best to worst:
HDMI
VGA
Component (3 video signals)
Super Video (SVideo)
Video
Check your graphic card user manual or just look at the back of it and
you'll see the different available connectors.
The DVI connector can output HDMI and VGA, depending on the adapter you plug
in there. Those adapters are quite cheap and usually come inside your graphic
adapter carton box.
Carlos

"Artreid" wrote:

> Thanks I'll take a look for the HDMI connections...Art
>
> "Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It depends what connections your TV has and what outputs from the PC are
> > available. It is just a question of connecting audio and video outputs
> > from the PC to the TV. Nothing special is required. The TV is just a
> > secondary monitor - the only monitor if you have a Home Theater PC (HTPC).
> >
> > If the TV has an HDMI input and your graphics card an HDMI output, or the
> > graphics card can accept a DVI to HDMI converter, you can use that if you
> > install a HDMI audio driver.
> >
> > Otherwise, you need separate video and audio cables.
> >

> > On 29/07/2010 08:11, Artreid wrote:
> >> I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
> >>
> >> Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to
> >> a TV for viewing?
> >> I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
> >> TV.

> .

Bill P

"Artreid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
>
> Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to a
> TV for viewing?
> I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
> TV.

You can get very cheap DVD players these days which have USB ports so you
can either play the DVD direct or copy it via your PC onto a memory stick
and play it from there.

Regards Bill