Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Performance ordered dictionary vs normal dictionary

Re: Performance ordered dictionary vs normal dictionary

Chris Rebert

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Navkirat Singh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sorry, I might have been a bit vague:
> (Also, I am new to pythong)
> I am trying to do construct my own web session tracking algorithm for a web
> server (which also I have constructed). The book keeping is for the session
> information I track. The dictionary object will do this for me. I was
> initially using a plain dictionary object, but I read this in the
> documentation that made me think about the question I asked :-

Does your program actually make use of the ordering? If so, then yes,
using OrderedDict is obviously preferable (Why reimplement something
needlessly?). If not, then why bother with the extra complication?

(You are aware that the "ordered" in OrderedDict means that its keys
are ordered, and not that, say, a list containing OrderedDicts can be
sorted, right?)

Cheers,
Chris
--