Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: IBM laptop question

Re: IBM laptop question

- Bobb -

were you expecting to swap drives and just boot either in either PC ( for
portability) or using different profiles ?

T41 is 5-6 yrs old
T23 is ?? older ??
same licensing on both ?
OEM ? Full windows license?
what OS ? XP Pro ?
so are you maybe installing Celeron licensed drive into Pentium ? etc

"Edwin Sineath" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I bought an IBM T41 today. I have a T23 and I want to use it's hard drive
>in the T41. They are identical Travelstars. When I put the T23 hd in the
>T41, it wouldn't boot. Blue-screened and wouldn't even go into safe mode.
>Never seen anything like this. I've put this hard drive in another T23
>before and had no problems. What is different about the T41 that won't let
>it work?

- Bobb -

I can tell you that on Compaq PC's I've owned I could not change drives
between "similar model" laptops. For the Armada series if I tried would get
a boot up error ( not blue screen) would say "not licensed for this
hardware" type message. Also, check in BIOS to see if "s/n checked enabled".
Forget the exact language but windows CAN interrogate bios for s/n info. It
was a few years ago when this became a stink. I forget the details ....Msft
wanted to play big brother and was using sn info And mfrs went along -
that's why Compaq's would fail - compared license at boot time.

"I've put this hard drive in another T23 before and had no problems."
can you do so now ( just want to see if still ok) and the T23 drive still
works fine in a T23 - now.
and ARE both versions of XP, the IBM OEM versions ?

Boot T23 and go to IBM.com ( Lenovo ) for all updates.
I'd then make 2 profiles while drive in T23, call T41 and T23
Boot T41 profile in T23. Safe mode.
Strip out everything you can from dev mgr.
Shutdown
Put in T41, try ' T41 profile' to see if any change at all.
So all sw up to date but no hardware.
If it does boot - should find lots of stuff.

good luck