Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > is it possible to have a clockless design synthesizeable?

is it possible to have a clockless design synthesizeable?

niyander

hi,

can any one please tell me that is it possible to synthesize a
clockless design, 100% working?
few days back i was reading a book on vhdl, there author quoted an
example of floating point adder and in that example clock was not
used.

thanks

backhus

On 29 Jul., 03:19, niyander <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi,
>
> can any one please tell me that is it possible to synthesize a
> clockless design, 100% working?
> few days back i was reading a book on vhdl, there author quoted an
> example of floating point adder and in that example clock was not
> used.
>
> thanks

Hi,
sure it is possible.
I does not always make sense, but possible it is.

When you are reading abooks on VHDL, keep in mind that there are now
several target technologies that can be used for HDL designs.
e.g. CPLDs, FPGAs and ASICs.
Each has its special strengths and weaknesses.

Large combinatorical blocks like the mentioned example are good for
ASICs, where FFs are expensive and silicon is fast with a fine logic
granulation (down to single gates).
While in FPGAs FFs are cheap and logic granulation is higher (4 or 6
input LUTs). Best performance is acheived here by using pipelined
architectures.

Have a nice synthesis
Eilert

debayan_p debayan_p is offline
Junior Member

Hey, just think in very simple terms!

Suppose I design a 4:1 MUX with VHDL/Verilog. Now this design would be clock-less...right?

Of course Synopsys DA or some FPGA tools would allow you to do the synthesis.

"Clockless" computing Harold Aptroot VHDL 1 04-07-2011 08:50 AM
May I have a example of design pattern of "composite", I still feel fuzzy after reading book of Addison-Wesley's"design pattern " jones9413@yahoo.com C++ 1 08-31-2007 04:09 AM
Can I have base class derived from System.Web.UI.Page have design =?Utf-8?B?cmdyYW5kaWRpZXI=?= ASP .Net 4 07-22-2005 04:22 PM
Issues on clockless UART Shashi VHDL 3 04-22-2004 12:05 AM
Issues on Shift Register in a Clockless UART Shashi VHDL 0 04-20-2004 11:51 PM

Advertisments