Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ansel Adams negative's story heats up

Ansel Adams negative's story heats up

RichA

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele....html?iref=NS1

"I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
Ansel Adams."

otter

On Jul 28, 6:58*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele...7/28/ansel.ada...
>
> "I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
> evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
> proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
> authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
> Ansel Adams."

What do you think is provocative about this? He is saying the plates
are genuine.

Sysop

"Gary Edstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele....html?iref=NS1
>>
>>"I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
>>evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
>>proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
>>authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
>>Ansel Adams."

> What do you want to bet that if they are indeed genuine, the Ansel Adams
> heirs will sue to get them back as stolen property?

When were they "stolen" and wouldn't the Statute of Limitations apply?

HocusPocus

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:13:53 -0700, Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele....html?iref=NS1
>>
>>"I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
>>evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
>>proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
>>authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
>>Ansel Adams."

>What do you want to bet that if they are indeed genuine, the Ansel Adams
>heirs will sue to get them back as stolen property?

Gary, in that clip his grandson says they're not genuine. The handwriting
is not his grandmother's and the spelling mistakes don't fit with her
spending lots of time at Yosemite. I must be missing something. How will
they be confirmed as genuine? It IS fascinating stuff!

otter

On Jul 28, 7:21*pm, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 6:58*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele...7/28/ansel.ada...

> > "I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
> > evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
> > proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
> > authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
> > Ansel Adams."

> What do you think is provocative about this? *He is saying the plates
> are genuine.

I'd seen that quote in previous stories, but didn't follow this link.
Yeah, I guess things are heating up...

MC

HocusPocus wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:13:53 -0700, Gary Edstrom
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele....html?iref=NS1

> > > "I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far
> > > less evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and
> > > burden of proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian
> > > to help authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs
> > > were done by Ansel Adams."

> > What do you want to bet that if they are indeed genuine, the Ansel
> > Adams heirs will sue to get them back as stolen property?

> Gary, in that clip his grandson says they're not genuine. The
> handwriting is not his grandmother's and the spelling mistakes don't
> fit with her spending lots of time at Yosemite. I must be missing
> something. How will they be confirmed as genuine? It IS fascinating
> stuff!

The whole thing stinks of jealousy. The Adams clan don't like the fact
that this "stranger" has become very rich on the back of their famous
relative.

MC

Douglas Johnson

>The true value of these negatives, if proven to be genuine, lies in
>what they are, and who created them, not any pseudo "Adams" prints
>which might be produced from them.

It is not clear to me that the owner of those negatives has the right to sell
prints from them. Ownership of the negatives is not necessarily the ownership
of the copyright. -- Doug

Bruce

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:54:50 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>On 2010-07-29 14:50:41 -0700, Doug McDonald
><(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>> The Adams estate has already said they are not Adams' negatives.
>> So THEY can't prevent sale by copyright. They might try to prevent them
>> as being labeled as "from Ansel Adams's negatives". But it would
>> be hard to stop "attributed to" Adams.
>>
>> Doug McDonald

>...and that would mean they could never have the asking price of
>genuine Adams prints, which they can never be.

Perhaps they were taken by "Uncle Earl"? In which case, are they
worth even $1 million?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3999ovl
or:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...ncle.earl.ktvu

John McWilliams

Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-07-29 14:42:26 -0700, Douglas Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> The true value of these negatives, if proven to be genuine, lies in
>>> what they are, and who created them, not any pseudo "Adams" prints
>>> which might be produced from them.

>> It is not clear to me that the owner of those negatives has the right
>> to sell
>> prints from them. Ownership of the negatives is not necessarily the
>> ownership
>> of the copyright. -- Doug

> This is somewhat like finding working sketches of "The Nightwatch" or Da
> Vinci's "Adoration of The Magi".

Except these are plates that AA chose to not print, and not part of an
integral process/work flow as DaVinci's.

--
John McWilliams

HocusPocus

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:07:00 GMT, "MC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HocusPocus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:13:53 -0700, Gary Edstrom
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA
>> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >

>http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cele....html?iref=NS1

>> > What do you want to bet that if they are indeed genuine, the Ansel
>> > Adams heirs will sue to get them back as stolen property?

>> Gary, in that clip his grandson says they're not genuine. The
>> handwriting is not his grandmother's and the spelling mistakes don't
>> fit with her spending lots of time at Yosemite. I must be missing
>> something. How will they be confirmed as genuine? It IS fascinating
>> stuff!

>The whole thing stinks of jealousy. The Adams clan don't like the fact
>that this "stranger" has become very rich on the back of their famous
>relative.
>
>MC

Reverse psychology would say the relatives should claim they are genuine,
let the guy make money off them because then, based on the valuation of
these 'new' negatives, the family holdings will be worth multimillions more
than today. Win, Win. No?