Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pep boys and tire deals

Pep boys and tire deals

Meat Plow

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:

> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals. Especially
> since they are for my daughters car.

Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

joevan

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:43:43 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:
>
>> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals. Especially
>> since they are for my daughters car.

>Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

I think it may be possible for some scum to be a cheat.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:52:55 -0400, joevan wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:43:43 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:
>>
>>> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
>>> Especially since they are for my daughters car.

>>Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

> I think it may be possible for some scum to be a cheat.

So you consider Pep Boys, a nationally advertised company to be cheating
scum?

NotMe

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:
>
>> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals. Especially
>> since they are for my daughters car.

> Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

There is a distinct possibility that an unscrupulous manager will sell tires
that are out of data aka subject to dry rot or make a recommendation based
on what they have been instructed to push market.

Good example is one of the major brands is pushing high fuel efficency tires
which they are what they don't tell you is the other performance factors
such as lack of control and stopping performance is the trade off.

Recall you get what you inspect not what you expect.

Bucky Breeder

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> via
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with
> deals. Especially since they are for my daughters car.

You must first decide if you'd rather your family
be on those standard round tires, or the ones that
always go downhill.

While the gas-milage savings can be considerable, your
daughters should think about safety and speed, and not
being dectected by the red-light-radar cams which are
being secretely put up to track our habits.

Pep Boys tried to sell me some new shock absorbers for
my old pickup truck. I found that I could do the same
thing by making a cushion by duct-taping some bubble-wrap.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I'm not talking to the aliens
because Stephen Hawking said it's not such a good idea :

olfart

"Bucky Breeder" <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
wrote in message >
<snip>
> Pep Boys tried to sell me some new shock absorbers for
> my old pickup truck. I found that I could do the same
> thing by making a cushion by duct-taping some bubble-wrap.
>
> HTH.
>
> --

bet the popping noise drives you nuts on a bumpy road. Recycled breast
implants are quieter....and smoother too

Meat Plow

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0500, NotMe wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:46:01 -0400, joevan wrote:
>>
>>> Are they any good. I don't know if I trust them with deals.
>>> Especially since they are for my daughters car.

>> Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

> There is a distinct possibility that an unscrupulous manager will sell
> tires that are out of data aka subject to dry rot or make a
> recommendation based on what they have been instructed to push market.

I think the possibility of a well recognized national brand name in Pep
Boys is doing this is not a distinct possibility but rather highly
unlikely.

> Good example is one of the major brands is pushing high fuel efficency
> tires which they are what they don't tell you is the other performance
> factors such as lack of control and stopping performance is the trade
> off.

Got some specifics as in who is pushing this and what they are pushing?

> Recall you get what you inspect not what you expect.

I bought a set of off brand SUV tires from a local back in 2007.
Best ****ing tires I've ever put on a vehicle and I've owned Goodyear, BF
Goodrich and Michelin. I knew nothing about this brand but told the
dealer I wanted a low-priced 16x235 highway tread tires that had a long
life, weren't noisy and rode well. I got exactly what I asked for and 30k
miles later I still have another 30k of tread left. I was told these
tires are made by Dayton and were $80 each. That's $55 per tire less than
the other brand names previously mentioned.

joevan

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:08:13 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0500, NotMe wrote:
>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Do you think they will put defective tires on your daughter's cars?

>> There is a distinct possibility that an unscrupulous manager will sell
>> tires that are out of data aka subject to dry rot or make a
>> recommendation based on what they have been instructed to push market.

>I think the possibility of a well recognized national brand name in Pep
>Boys is doing this is not a distinct possibility but rather highly
>unlikely.
>
>> Good example is one of the major brands is pushing high fuel efficency
>> tires which they are what they don't tell you is the other performance
>> factors such as lack of control and stopping performance is the trade
>> off.

>Got some specifics as in who is pushing this and what they are pushing?
>
>> Recall you get what you inspect not what you expect.

>I bought a set of off brand SUV tires from a local back in 2007.
>Best ****ing tires I've ever put on a vehicle and I've owned Goodyear, BF
>Goodrich and Michelin. I knew nothing about this brand but told the
>dealer I wanted a low-priced 16x235 highway tread tires that had a long
>life, weren't noisy and rode well. I got exactly what I asked for and 30k
>miles later I still have another 30k of tread left. I was told these
>tires are made by Dayton and were $80 each. That's $55 per tire less than
>the other brand names previously mentioned.

I had Dayton extra heavy duty 16 inch tires on my old 57 land rover. I
think they are still on it and doing fine. I left it in Maine when the
wife passed as well as a lot of other stuff. I bought it in 67 or so,
and used it for 20 years with those tires still going. It wasn't used
a lot most years as it was a second car except for one year when I
worked at a big museum in Delaware. I remember one of the scientists
saying about the rover, driving a bit harder and it wasn't as
comfortable as his 70 Chevy van. Thing was though I bet that van is
not around anymore but the 57 Rover is.

Bucky Breeder

olfart <(E-Mail Removed)> via
news:bd2d0$4c51dcfa$4b5b2f05$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Bucky Breeder" <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name
> _Don't.wear.it.out> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>> Pep Boys tried to sell me some new shock absorbers for
>> my old pickup truck. I found that I could do the same
>> thing by making a cushion by duct-taping some bubble-wrap.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> --
>>

> bet the popping noise drives you nuts on a bumpy road.

If you put enough layers together, you doesn't have any
popping whatsoever, unless you're shagging your date in
the parking lot and she still has her high-heels on...
that's been sort of a glitch... but thank goodness the
UPS guy eventually drops-off another package to the rescue!

> Recycled breast implants are quieter....and smoother too

Awesomely-Excellent idea!

I think they'd make such good airbags too, but the peoples
(and by "the peoples" I mean especially me) would be gettin'
into wrecks all the time on purpose. Shoot... I'd just
probably run into a couple of fence posts on the way to my
GF's house, sort of like gettin' some foreplay before gettin'
down to the foreplay. Gettin' slapped in the face by breast
implants - oh yeah, I sense yet another 12-step program coming
for the Oprah show on the [b]loomin' horizon!

Airbags... who was even the genius that came up with that one?
You have to be in a wreck before you ever get the benefit...
Why not just hang a few breast implants from the ceiling and
stick 'em on the sides and dash, so you can even have the
benefit when riding on one of those bumpy roads, like Alabama,
or other 3rd-world countries. There's an idea that could have
saved the US auto industry -- way before they jetsam'ed Pontiac.

Yes, I miss the GTOs and Firebirds. Alas. <sighs>

HTH.