Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 2 Computers, 1 wireless router

2 Computers, 1 wireless router

=?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=

We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the living
room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook up
the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the router
in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

Jack

Hi

I would take the downstairs computers and put near the main computer (to
rule out Distance problems), configure the connection and make it works.

Once you make it working, move the computer back to its intended location.
If it stops working you might have a Distance problem and you might need to
extend the Wireless distance.

The best Method to Extend Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific
Envioroment.

Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you envioroment
best.

http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ascertain20" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
> basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
> downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the

living
> room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
> setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
> internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook

up
> the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the

router
> in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
> somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

N. Miller

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:54:01 -0700, Ascertain20 wrote:

> We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
> basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
> downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the living
> room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
> setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
> internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook up
> the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the router
> in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
> somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

One issue with vertical separation of the units is the nature of radio
signal emission. Imagine dropping a doughnut on the antenna, so the antenna
is poking up through the hole. The doughnut shows the radiated signal. You
may need to reorient the antenna to angle that doughnut toward the basement
location.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

David {MVP}

However, when we hook up the router, the downstairs computer can access the
IP address of the router in Internet Explorer.

Unlike the others I hear you saying the wireless is working, or appears to
be here. So tell me instead about how you are connecting to the internet? Is
it a dial-up connection? Or do you have sometype of broadband connection
connected to your wireless router? If you go to the computer downstairs and
do | Start (menu) | Run | CMD click OK | Ping 199.41.238.41 do you see
something like this;

Pinging 199.41.238.41 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 199.41.238.41:

or do you see something like this,
Ping request could not find host 199.41.238.47. Please check the name and
try again.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:58:42 -0400, David {MVP} wrote:

> Is it a dial-up connection?

The D-Link DI-524 Wireless router the OP mentioned does not have a means of
connecting to a dial-up modem.

http://www.dlink.com/products/resour...rid=1083&sec=0

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Leroy

Do you have any cordless phones located in the vicinity of the computer
having the connection problem?
If you do, are they 2.4 ghz? If so, they will definetly interfere with the
signal transmission betwee the router and computer.

"Ascertain20" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
> basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
> downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the
> living
> room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
> setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
> internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook
> up
> the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the
> router
> in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
> somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

David {MVP}

I am well aware of that fact, that is why I asked the question. How the OP
connects to the internet becomes important in this case. And while it may
not attach physically to what most people think of when one says dial-up, it
can be used with a dial-up connections sometimes.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices
Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:39:33 -0400, David {MVP} wrote:

> I am well aware of that fact, that is why I asked the question. How the OP
> connects to the internet becomes important in this case. And while it may
> not attach physically to what most people think of when one says dial-up, it
> can be used with a dial-up connections sometimes.

How does a router with no connection to a dial-up device make a dial-up
connection?

--

"David {MVP}" wrote:

> However, when we hook up the router, the downstairs computer can access the
> IP address of the router in Internet Explorer.
>
> Unlike the others I hear you saying the wireless is working, or appears to
> be here. So tell me instead about how you are connecting to the internet? Is
> it a dial-up connection? Or do you have sometype of broadband connection
> connected to your wireless router? If you go to the computer downstairs and
> do | Start (menu) | Run | CMD click OK | Ping 199.41.238.41 do you see
> something like this;
>
> Pinging 199.41.238.41 with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from 199.41.238.41: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=237
> Reply from 199.41.238.41: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=237
> Reply from 199.41.238.41: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=237
> Reply from 199.41.238.41: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=237
>
> Ping statistics for 199.41.238.41:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 70ms
>
> or do you see something like this,
> Ping request could not find host 199.41.238.47. Please check the name and
> try again.
>

> --
> David {MVP}
> Microsoft Mobile Devices
> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

> benefit of all of us...
> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

> rights...
>

> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
> their life by correcting me.
>
> "Ascertain20" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
> > basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
> > downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the
> > living
> > room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
> > setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
> > internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook
> > up
> > the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the
> > router
> > in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
> > somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

We have a cable modem connection. When the router is connected (it isn't
right now) the computer in the basement can ping the router fine and it does
do the shpiel you mentioned above. However, last monday we bought an antenna
that's also from D-Link that's now attached to the PCI card in the downstairs
computer. We're still having trouble getting the decent wireless internet
connection going in the house on both computers, however, without the router
hooked up on the living room computer, the internet works fine. Do we just
start from scratch, take everything out, and try to figure out what to do
from there?