Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What OSs will run OK on P266 w/ 160MB?

What OSs will run OK on P266 w/ 160MB?

Mark C

I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation, which
is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.

What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?

Used for email, web-browsing, Remote Desktop

I don't have install media for NT WS, so a different OS may be in
order.

I read an article from MS that said XP ran at least as fast as W2K,
but probably while using more memory than I have.

(MemTest86+ shows no problems, despite it feeling like a memory
problem.)

Thanks,
Mark

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

I ran win 2000 successfully on Toshiba Portege which had a modest CPU
and not more that 256 RAM.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation, which
> is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.
>
> What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?
>
> Used for email, web-browsing, Remote Desktop
>
> I don't have install media for NT WS, so a different OS may be in
> order.
>
> I read an article from MS that said XP ran at least as fast as W2K,
> but probably while using more memory than I have.
>
> (MemTest86+ shows no problems, despite it feeling like a memory
> problem.)

I wouldn't run XP on that. Perhaps 2K?
--
Shaun.

"Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

Craig Sutton

news:i2qgu4$rto$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
>> I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation, which
>> is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.
>>
>> What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?
>>
>> Used for email, web-browsing, Remote Desktop
>>
>> I don't have install media for NT WS, so a different OS may be in
>> order.
>>
>> I read an article from MS that said XP ran at least as fast as W2K,
>> but probably while using more memory than I have.
>>
>> (MemTest86+ shows no problems, despite it feeling like a memory
>> problem.)

> I wouldn't run XP on that. Perhaps 2K?
> --

TinyXP perhaps..

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Craig Sutton wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i2qgu4$rto$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
>>> I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation, which
>>> is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.
>>>
>>> What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?
>>>
>>> Used for email, web-browsing, Remote Desktop
>>>
>>> I don't have install media for NT WS, so a different OS may be in
>>> order.
>>>
>>> I read an article from MS that said XP ran at least as fast as W2K,
>>> but probably while using more memory than I have.
>>>
>>> (MemTest86+ shows no problems, despite it feeling like a memory
>>> problem.)

>> I wouldn't run XP on that. Perhaps 2K?
>> --
>>

> TinyXP perhaps..

Perhaps, although my only experience with that several years ago wasn't
great. (I think I ran out of patience.)
--
Shaun.

"Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

Mark C

Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4c4fcdd2$0$9333$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation,
> which is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.

Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus fixed it!

NAV 5.0, from 1998, which amazingly has been updating weekly with new
definitions since then, but for the last few mnonths the updates got
larger and larger and the laptop got slower and slower and started to
run out of memory (a memory leak). Only a little corruption to my
login profile, thankfully...

Thanks to all for the advice.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:4c4fcdd2$0$9333$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation,
>> which is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.

> Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus fixed it!
>
> NAV 5.0, from 1998, which amazingly has been updating weekly with new
> definitions since then, but for the last few mnonths the updates got
> larger and larger and the laptop got slower and slower and started to
> run out of memory (a memory leak). Only a little corruption to my
> login profile, thankfully...
>
> Thanks to all for the advice.

Good to hear.

I've fixed a few 'terminal' computers by uninstalling Norton AV over the
years.
--
Shaun.

"Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

Dave Taylor

Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4c4fcdd2$0$9333$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?

Puppy Linux for next time...

--
Ciao, Dave

Switches and OSs J R Cisco 2 03-31-2005 10:19 AM
OSS 2005 Conference -- Call For Experience Report Francesco Di Cerbo Java 0 03-09-2005 09:44 AM
Call for Panels - OSS 2005 PZ Java 0 01-11-2005 09:02 PM
OSS 2005 Call For Paper mscotto Java 0 12-22-2004 11:25 AM
Re: Where OSS beats CSS Aquila Deus ASP .Net 2 11-05-2004 06:05 AM

Advertisments