Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: DELL dumps Lunix PC's

Re: DELL dumps Lunix PC's

AD.

On Jul 26, 4:31*pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> No Interest for it..

Oh well, turns out that was just a rumour...

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/07/26/...-10-04-systems

--
Cheers
Anton

AD.

On Jul 28, 4:48*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Not a refutation in any sense. *All that blogster has is a statement from
> Canonical claiming the story isn't true -- What a surprise !

It wasn't just one Canonical quote, did you miss the one from Dell:

"Dell has no plans to discontinue its Ubuntu offerings."

The original blog post had less going for it than that. It just jumped
to its own conclusions.

> Meanwhile,
> count how many PCs you can find on Dell's UK website that come with Ubuntu
> as an option. Any? How about the US website?

Maybe you didn't actually follow the links on that page:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

> How about the NZ website? China
> anyone? Face it, Ubuntu isn't helping Dell sell PCs -- Dell knows that,
> Canonical knows that -- heck, even you know that. Why that urge to defend
> the indefensible?

That may or may not be true, but that wasn't what was claimed. What is
indefensible is the claim that Dell has stopped selling Ubuntu PCs.
There is no evidence that they stopped, yet there is evidence that
they still are and don't plan to stop.

--
Cheers
Anton

AD.

On Jul 28, 11:29*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> No, what was claimed was that Dell has stopped selling Ubuntu PCs in the UK,

No, Wogers claim was "Dell dumps Lunix PC's". That is the claim I
replied to, and that claim is obviously false.

> and you've done nothing to refute that claim.

There's still at least model on the UK site:
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/busi...nav&cs=ukbsdt1
http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...L0513005&s=bsd

It all depends on how you define "stopped selling" I suppose. I would
assume "stopped selling" would mean zero models for sale.

--
Cheers
Anton

AD.

On Jul 29, 1:31*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > No, Wogers claim was "Dell dumps Lunix PC's". That is the claim I
> > replied to, and that claim is obviously false.

> This is the report that sparked the OP:

Was it? Or was Woger just repeating the rumours and sensationalist
headlines that implied Dell everywhere was dropping it altogether?

His title certainly matches the rumour better than that report. And he
probably would've included a link (like he normally does) if he was
responding to a specific report.

ie "Dell dumps Lunix PC's" better matches that rumour than "Dell UK
takes Ubuntu PCs off its website, but still sells them over the
phone."

So either Wogers post was sparked by other reports, or he was guilty
of his own wild exaggeration (something you seem to enjoy). Either
way, his claim wasn't accurate.

--
Cheers
Anton

Simon

On Jul 28, 11:57*pm, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It all depends on how you define "stopped selling" I suppose. I would
> assume "stopped selling" would mean zero models for sale.

Agreed. It appears that they're simply not promoting it as fiercely as
they were before.

We're still able to pre-order PC's from HP with Linux pre-installed.
So even if Dell did stop selling (providing) Linux as even an option,
there are certainly other manufacturers out there who are prepared to
offer it.

victor

On 1/08/2010 10:21 a.m., impossible wrote:

> "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Jul 28, 11:57 pm, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> It all depends on how you define "stopped selling" I suppose. I would
>>> assume "stopped selling" would mean zero models for sale.

>> Agreed. It appears that they're simply not promoting it as fiercely as
>> they were before.
>>

> Dell **never** promoted linux "fiercely". Now it doesn't promote it at all.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16608...urce=rss_blogs

Still bullshitting eh ?

http://linux.dell.com/
http://en.community.dell.com/support...mer-linux.aspx

>> We're still able to pre-order PC's from HP with Linux pre-installed.
>> So even if Dell did stop selling (providing) Linux as even an option,
>> there are certainly other manufacturers out there who are prepared to
>> offer it.

> HP doesn't promote linux either.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s...ies/index.html

Both companies are corporate members of the Linux Foundation which means
they contribute their share to Linux development.

Back in the bozo bin moron.

victor

On 1/08/2010 6:39 p.m., impossible wrote:

> No linux machines for sale there either.

A "linux machine" ?????

what a dick !!

victor

On 2/08/2010 3:17 a.m., impossible wrote:

> Still waiting.....tick, tick, tick.... Any evidence from Dell that
> they're promoting linux? No, didn't think so.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=us&l=en&cs=19

dick

victor

On 3/08/2010 11:04 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> Do not waste your time providing data to impossible. It will be ignored.
> Troll; feeding; don't.

Its more for the interest of others.
To note that Linux seems to be quite a growth area for Dell. They have a
Linux engineering team that collaborates with the various linux
distributions and works closely with Canonical. They have customers who
run Linux on Dell on some quite advanced research projects like a few
thousand at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-bl...or-ubuntu.aspx

Their flagship Dell Streak tablet/phone device about to be released is
also Android

And Ubuntu has some pretty wide acceptance now, from Weta Digitals HP
blade 45,000 core water cooled cluster for Avatar, to Dell netbooks.

Bruce Sinclair