Velocity Reviews > Reviews > Mutant Mods UV Reactive Blue EL Wire Wrapped Round IDE Cable

Article Tools

Mutant Mods UV Reactive Blue EL Wire Wrapped Round IDE Cable

Mutant Mods UV Reactive Blue EL Wire Wrapped Round IDE Cable Article Author : Ian
Date :

Introduction

Looking for that little extra something to show off your ultra blingy case, yet you can't think of whats left after adding lights, LED fans, etc? How about your IDE cable, sometimes even most often forgotten about item needs some bling in it's life.

Before I get to the review, I would like to provide some background on Mutant Mods.

Comdex Fall 2003 (Nov. 17, 2003), Las Vegas: StarTech.com introduced it's new line of PC products stamped "Mutant Mods". As StarTech.com's Product Manager Tarun Bhasin stated, "The market for mod products is exploding. Mod products are one of the fastest growing segments of the computer parts market and there was no one brand that offered a complete selection of quality products for consumers until Mutant Mods." Mutant Mods offers a line of mod products that vary from USB 2.0 Cables with LEDs to EL Wire Kits to LED Fans. Quoting an insert I recieved, "Mutant Mods is a complete line of computer parts and accessories that add a splash of originality and a dash of color to computer workspaces." In a statement Product Manager Tarun Bhasin sums up the Mutant Mods relation to consumers and also recognizes modders, "Mutant Mods will appeal to mainstream and power computer users, PC gamers, and hardcore modders. Consumers care about the appearance of their computer as much as performance and are not content to live with the boring beige and black PCs prevalent in the market today."

Specifications

Contents, features and specifications can be found on Mutant Mods website.

Connector A: IDC 40 Female
Connector B: IDC 40 Female
Connector C: LP4 Male
Color: Blue
Product Length: 24 Inches (610 mm)
Shipping (Package) Weight: 235.87g

Packaging

The Mutant Mods' 24 UV Reactive Blue EL Wire Wrapped Round IDE Cable comes packaged in a very attractive container with black and green designs that complements Mutant Mods website. Mutant Mods has created a well-defined packaging for all of their products, that creates a distinguished product line.

Contents

Upon opening the package of the Mutant Mods' 24 UV Reactive Blue EL Wire Wrapped Round IDE Cable, you'll find everything is in once peice, there are no seperate parts. This is somewhat of an issue, as that means the inverter for the IDE cable will be moving around in the case. Screws or Velcro would have been a cheap and easy addition.

The inverter has a three position control system which is a welcomed addition. The MU setting is a blinking mode, while the full setting creates a steady glow. The inverter ran very cool, with barely any noticeable warm-up. Yet, just like the A.C.Ryan BlueNeon ATA133 Cables we reviewed earlier, the inverter emits and high-pitch sound which is quite irritating.

Testing

As you can see the cables are very high quality and mimic the heavy duty strength of Tygon tubing used for high pressure water-cooling. This is a good thing, since I have seen a lot of very cheaply made rounded cables around and try my best to avoid them like the plague. You'll also notice that the invertors are much like those on cold cathodes. The good thing about the cables being lighted is two reasons; The light recharges the UV functionality, and second it gives you a really nice looking cable arrangement in your system.

Conclusion

The Mutant Mods' 24 UV Reactive Blue EL Wire Wrapped Round IDE Cable is one hell of a product, yet they have one big flaw and that is the inverter. The inverter makes an annoying high-pitch sound which most people find quite annoying and the price is quite far-fetched. I'll let you decide on if the Mutant Mods' 24 UV Reactive Blue EL Wire Wrapped Round IDE Cable is really the addition you've been looking for.

Advertisments

Newsgroups
Computer Support
Computer Information