Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Why is there no platform independent way of clearing a terminal?

Why is there no platform independent way of clearing a terminal?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark
Lawrence wrote:

> Personally I find double clicking on an msi file rather easier.

Easier than apt-get dist-upgrade?

Mark Lawrence

> In message<(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark
> Lawrence wrote:
>
>> Personally I find double clicking on an msi file rather easier.

> Easier than apt-get dist-upgrade?

I'm sorry but I only do English, could you please translate.

Mark Lawrence.

Lawrence wrote:

> On 01/08/2010 07:50, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark
>> Lawrence wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I find double clicking on an msi file rather easier.

>> Easier than apt-get dist-upgrade?

> I'm sorry but I only do English, could you please translate.

I run Debian Unstable, which has new goodies coming out on a weekly basis.
The last time I checked for updates, there were over 500 packages I had
installed for which updates were available. It only took a command like the
above to upgrade them all.

How many .msi files would you have to click on to achieve the Windows
equivalent?

Mark Lawrence

> In message<(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark
> Lawrence wrote:
>
>> On 01/08/2010 07:50, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Easier than apt-get dist-upgrade?

>> I'm sorry but I only do English, could you please translate.

> I run Debian Unstable, which has new goodies coming out on a weekly basis.
> The last time I checked for updates, there were over 500 packages I had
> installed for which updates were available. It only took a command like the
> above to upgrade them all.
>
> How many .msi files would you have to click on to achieve the Windows
> equivalent?

No idea, but your mental capacity is clearly infinitely higher than
mine, as I simply couldn't cope with over 500 installed packages. What
do they all do, make your lunch and fetch the beer from the fridge
amongst other things?

Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Gregory Ewing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> How many .msi files would you have to click on to achieve the Windows
> equivalent?

Don't you just leave the machine on overnight and wait
for Microsoft to download all the stuff they think
you should be using?

--
Greg

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Don't you just leave the machine on overnight and wait
> for Microsoft to download all the stuff they think
> you should be using?

That’s fine, but it doesn’t handle the non-Microsoft stuff.

Tim Harig

On 2010-08-01, Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 01/08/2010 06:17, Tim Harig wrote:

>>> I thought Windows users were allergic to command lines.

>> To the best of my knowledge, there have never been any documentated
>> cases of computer software related alleries. There are however several
>> chemicals used in the process of constructing computer hardware componets
>> which have been linked to allergy illnesses. Maybe Windows users are
>> simply allergic to their computers.

> Windows users biggest allergy is to this strange world that involves
> "make" on other boxes, whatever that is, it strikes me as rather
> archaic. Personally I find double clicking on an msi file rather easier.

I work with several thousand computers located on three different
continents. Few of them have mice attached to them. If you think double
clicking is a better method, be my guest; but, you need to get a package
installed and configured on all of them before lunch.

Its also kind of funny that I couldn't get the msi to work with a large
percentage of the systems that I work with. Make works on all but one out
of the box, and potentially on the last with the addition of SFU or
Cygwin.

With all that said, I am still not sure what the make/msi question has
anything to do with packing a backup, cross platform, implementation of
curses that allows the curses module to give Python a cross platform method
of character mode manipulation.

Lawrence wrote:

> On 01/08/2010 08:18, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark
>> Lawrence wrote:

>>> I'm sorry but I only do English, could you please translate.

>> I run Debian Unstable, which has new goodies coming out on a weekly
>> basis. The last time I checked for updates, there were over 500 packages
>> I had installed for which updates were available. It only took a command
>> like the above to upgrade them all.
>>
>> How many .msi files would you have to click on to achieve the Windows
>> equivalent?

> ... I simply couldn't cope with over 500 installed packages.

Precisely my point. Go back to playing with your .msi toys.

Oh, and <http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-06-24/>.

Roy Smith

In article <i33hiu$rsq$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gregory Ewing wrote:
>
> > Don't you just leave the machine on overnight and wait
> > for Microsoft to download all the stuff they think
> > you should be using?

> That’s fine, but it doesn’t handle the non-Microsoft stuff.

You've apparently never worked in a big company. Your IT department
downloads whatever *they* think you should be using. Eventually, your
machine is so slow, you can't get any work done.

Mark Lawrence

> In message<(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark
> Lawrence wrote:
>
>> On 01/08/2010 08:18, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> I run Debian Unstable, which has new goodies coming out on a weekly
>>> basis. The last time I checked for updates, there were over 500 packages
>>> I had installed for which updates were available. It only took a command
>>> like the above to upgrade them all.
>>>
>>> How many .msi files would you have to click on to achieve the Windows
>>> equivalent?

>> ... I simply couldn't cope with over 500 installed packages.

> Precisely my point. Go back to playing with your .msi toys.
>
> Oh, and<http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-06-24/>.

Repeating what was obviously deliberately snipped.

"No idea, but your mental capacity is clearly infinitely higher than
mine, as I simply couldn't cope with over 500 installed packages. What
do they all do, make your lunch and fetch the beer from the fridge
amongst other things?"

How does any user or an admin cope with 500 packages? Can Python help
here, assume an eight hour working day?

c:\Python31\Lib>python
Python 3.1.2 (r312:79149, Mar 21 2010, 00:41:52) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
>>> 8*60*60/500

57.6

So every working day you have 57.6 seconds to use each package.
Strangely I don't think anyone will get too much done. Am I in cloud
cuckoo land or are you?

As it happens, I'm also not a windows fan, did most of my work on VMS.
Which to repeat myself stands for Very Much Safer. Thinking of which
did *nix ever get around to providing proper clustering, or does VMS
still rule?

Mark Lawrence.