Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless File and Print Sharing

Wireless File and Print Sharing

=?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard wired
through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for internet
access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the two
units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the bonus
computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus computer,
I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark printer
connected to the office computer but can not print from the bonus computer.
This system has previously worked and allowed both file access and print
sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file sharing
and print sharing.

I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I tried
to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has stopped or
did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.

This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet from
each other.

Assistance?

Thanks
MLW

TAC

I had a similar problem with the firewall and remote access. I found this
and it fixed both issues....tacretired

SP2 breaks Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Service
Follow these steps below:

1. Click "Start" followed by "Run..."

2. Type in "regedt32" and hit the enter key.

3. Locate the key
HKEY_Local_MACHINE\software\classes\appid\{ce166e4 0-1e72-45b9-94c9-3b2050i8f180}
and highlight it.

4. Click "File" and then "Export" from the File menu and export a copy
of the key.

5. Make sure the key mentioned in step 3 is still highlighted and
delete it.

6. Restart your computer and the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
Sharing Service should start automatically.

"MLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard wired
> through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for internet
> access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the two
> units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the bonus
> computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
> computer,
> I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark printer
> connected to the office computer but can not print from the bonus
> computer.
> This system has previously worked and allowed both file access and print
> sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file
> sharing
> and print sharing.
>
> I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I tried
> to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has stopped or
> did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
> security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
>
> This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet from
> each other.
>
> Assistance?
>
> Thanks
> MLW

=?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

TAC

Thanks for the quick response.

I was not able to find this key in the registry. In fact I searched the
entire registry for the key value and was unsuccessful.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
MLW

"TAC" wrote:

> I had a similar problem with the firewall and remote access. I found this
> and it fixed both issues....tacretired
>
> SP2 breaks Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Service
> Follow these steps below:
>
> 1. Click "Start" followed by "Run..."
>
> 2. Type in "regedt32" and hit the enter key.
>
> 3. Locate the key
> HKEY_Local_MACHINE\software\classes\appid\{ce166e4 0-1e72-45b9-94c9-3b2050i8f180}
> and highlight it.
>
> 4. Click "File" and then "Export" from the File menu and export a copy
> of the key.
>
> 5. Make sure the key mentioned in step 3 is still highlighted and
> delete it.
>
> 6. Restart your computer and the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
> Sharing Service should start automatically.
>
> "MLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard wired
> > through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for internet
> > access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the two
> > units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the bonus
> > computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
> > computer,
> > I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark printer
> > connected to the office computer but can not print from the bonus
> > computer.
> > This system has previously worked and allowed both file access and print
> > sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file
> > sharing
> > and print sharing.
> >
> > I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I tried
> > to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has stopped or
> > did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
> > security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
> >
> > This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet from
> > each other.
> >
> > Assistance?
> >
> > Thanks
> > MLW

David {MVP}

You might want to take a look at this page,
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html and see if it helps any. Also take a look
at http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html

Can you "ping" the other computers by both name and IP address? Can the
wireless computer access the WRT54 G setup page?

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

"MLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard wired
> through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for internet
> access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the two
> units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the bonus
> computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
> computer,
> I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark printer
> connected to the office computer but can not print from the bonus
> computer.
> This system has previously worked and allowed both file access and print
> sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file
> sharing
> and print sharing.
>
> I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I tried
> to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has stopped or
> did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
> security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
>
> This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet from
> each other.
>
> Assistance?
>
> Thanks
> MLW

Malke

MLW wrote:

> I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard
> wired through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for
> internet
> access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the
> two
> units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the
> bonus
> computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
> computer,
> I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark
> printer connected to the office computer but can not print from the
> bonus computer. This system has previously worked and allowed both
> file access and print
> sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file
> sharing and print sharing.
>
> I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I
> tried to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has
> stopped or
> did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
> security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
>
> This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet
> from each other.

If the Windows Firewall is off, then what firewall do you have in place?
Third-party firewalls - including Norton Antivirus which has a simple
firewall called "Internet Worm Protection" - will disable the Windows
Firewall. You say this setup worked once - what changed between the
time things worked and the time they didn't?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

Thanks for the information. I can ping both computers and pull up the Router
setup page from both computers. Just cannot access files or the printer from
the bonus computer.

I will have to review the weblinks to see if this helps

"David {MVP}" wrote:

> You might want to take a look at this page,
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html and see if it helps any. Also take a look
> at http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
>
> Can you "ping" the other computers by both name and IP address? Can the
> wireless computer access the WRT54 G setup page?
>
> --
> David {MVP}
> Microsoft Mobile Devices
> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

> benefit of all of us...
> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

> rights...
>

> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
> their life by correcting me.
>
> "MLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard wired
> > through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for internet
> > access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the two
> > units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the bonus
> > computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
> > computer,
> > I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark printer
> > connected to the office computer but can not print from the bonus
> > computer.
> > This system has previously worked and allowed both file access and print
> > sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file
> > sharing
> > and print sharing.
> >
> > I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I tried
> > to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has stopped or
> > did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
> > security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
> >
> > This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet from
> > each other.
> >
> > Assistance?
> >
> > Thanks
> > MLW

=?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

THis is what I fear. I have the office machine connected the router which is
connected to the cable modem. I do have Norton AV installed and internet
worm protection is activate. I de-activated it and I still cannot modify the
firewall setting. Again it is turned off and indicates that the controls are
made via group policy. This machine is running XP - Home not professional.

THanks
MLW

"Malke" wrote:

> MLW wrote:
>
> > I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard
> > wired through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for
> > internet
> > access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the
> > two
> > units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the
> > bonus
> > computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
> > computer,
> > I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark
> > printer connected to the office computer but can not print from the
> > bonus computer. This system has previously worked and allowed both
> > file access and print
> > sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file
> > sharing and print sharing.
> >
> > I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I
> > tried to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has
> > stopped or
> > did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
> > security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
> >
> > This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet
> > from each other.
> >

> If the Windows Firewall is off, then what firewall do you have in place?
> Third-party firewalls - including Norton Antivirus which has a simple
> firewall called "Internet Worm Protection" - will disable the Windows
> Firewall. You say this setup worked once - what changed between the
> time things worked and the time they didn't?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

MLW wrote:

> THis is what I fear. I have the office machine connected the router
> which is
> connected to the cable modem. I do have Norton AV installed and
> internet
> worm protection is activate. I de-activated it and I still cannot
> modify the firewall setting. Again it is turned off and indicates that
> the controls are
> made via group policy. This machine is running XP - Home not
> professional.
>
> THanks
> MLW
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> MLW wrote:
>>
>> > I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is
>> > hard wired through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable
>> > modem for internet
>> > access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have
>> > the two
>> > units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see
>> > the bonus
>> > computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
>> > computer,
>> > I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark
>> > printer connected to the office computer but can not print from the
>> > bonus computer. This system has previously worked and allowed both
>> > file access and print
>> > sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for
>> > file sharing and print sharing.
>> >
>> > I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off.
>> > I tried to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center
>> > has stopped or
>> > did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that
>> > for security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
>> >
>> > This is a home network with only two computers located about 10
>> > feet from each other.
>> >

>> If the Windows Firewall is off, then what firewall do you have in
>> place? Third-party firewalls - including Norton Antivirus which has a
>> simple firewall called "Internet Worm Protection" - will disable the
>> Windows Firewall. You say this setup worked once - what changed
>> between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

Do you have any other third-party antimalware products installed? The
Beta Microsoft Antispyware program had problems with the XPSP2 Windows
Firewall. Here are some links about that:

FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):
Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

> No I do not have any other antimalware products. In fact I just
uninstalled MS Antispyware.

I read your post and could not find anything that would fix problem

I ran the cmd line, rebooted, no change

Office Computer - Firewall Turned Off, Can access files on Bonus Computer,
can print from Office (printer is wired to this one.)

Bonues computer- Firewall is turned on, Cannot access files on Office,
Cannot install or print over wireless network system

Any thing else that you can think of?

MLW

> Do you have any other third-party antimalware products installed? The
> Beta Microsoft Antispyware program had problems with the XPSP2 Windows
> Firewall. Here are some links about that:
>
> FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
>
> MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):
> Start>Run cmd [enter]
> netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
> Follow prompts and reboot.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

MLW wrote:

>> No I do not have any other antimalware products. In fact I just

> uninstalled MS Antispyware.
>
> I read your post and could not find anything that would fix problem
>
> I ran the cmd line, rebooted, no change
>
> Office Computer - Firewall Turned Off, Can access files on Bonus
> Computer, can print from Office (printer is wired to this one.)
>
> Bonues computer- Firewall is turned on, Cannot access files on Office,
> Cannot install or print over wireless network system
>
> Any thing else that you can think of?

You can go through this network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
It should pinpoint the problem areas.

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Malke
--