Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless File and Print Sharing

Wireless File and Print Sharing

David {MVP}

Just a note here, but with the firewall turn on, I believe the normal action
is to block Microsoft File and Print sharing. That would result in the bonus
computer being able to connect to the internet, but not being seen on the
network, nor would the bonus computer be able to print. Either turn off the
firewall, or modify the firewall to allow Microsoft File and print sharing.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> MLW wrote:
>
>>> No I do not have any other antimalware products. In fact I just

>> uninstalled MS Antispyware.
>>
>> I read your post and could not find anything that would fix problem
>>
>> I ran the cmd line, rebooted, no change
>>
>> Office Computer - Firewall Turned Off, Can access files on Bonus
>> Computer, can print from Office (printer is wired to this one.)
>>
>> Bonues computer- Firewall is turned on, Cannot access files on Office,
>> Cannot install or print over wireless network system
>>
>> Any thing else that you can think of?
>>

> You can go through this network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
> It should pinpoint the problem areas.
>
> http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

David {MVP}

That would be the expected behavior with a firewall enabled on the bonus
computer and the firewall not configured to work or allow Microsoft file and
print sharing. Also would be expected if the two computers are not getting
their IP address from a single DHCP server. In your case I believe it may be
do to the firewall on the bonus computer.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices
Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

"MLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the information. I can ping both computers and pull up the
> Router
> setup page from both computers. Just cannot access files or the printer
> from
> the bonus computer.
>
> I will have to review the weblinks to see if this helps
>

> "David {MVP}" wrote:
>
>> You might want to take a look at this page,
>> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html and see if it helps any. Also take a
>> look
>> at http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
>>
>> Can you "ping" the other computers by both name and IP address? Can the
>> wireless computer access the WRT54 G setup page?
>>
>> --
>> David {MVP}
>> Microsoft Mobile Devices
>> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

>> benefit of all of us...
>> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

>> rights...
>>

>> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
>> their life by correcting me.
>>
>> "MLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have two computers both running XP. The "office" computer is hard
>> >wired
>> > through a Linksys WRT54 G wireless router to a cable modem for internet
>> > access. The "bonus" computer has a Linksys Wireless NIC. I have the
>> > two
>> > units in a XP Home network. From the office computer, I can see the
>> > bonus
>> > computer and access most of the files and folders. From the bonus
>> > computer,
>> > I can see the office computer but cannot access. I have a Lexmark
>> > printer
>> > connected to the office computer but can not print from the bonus
>> > computer.
>> > This system has previously worked and allowed both file access and
>> > print
>> > sharing between the two systems. Both computers are set up for file
>> > sharing
>> > and print sharing.
>> >
>> > I also noticed that my office computer XP firewall is Turned Off. I
>> > tried
>> > to open the Security Center, but gives statment that center has stopped
>> > or
>> > did not start. The firewall screen also displays a statement that for
>> > security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
>> >
>> > This is a home network with only two computers located about 10 feet
>> > from
>> > each other.
>> >
>> > Assistance?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > MLW

=?Utf-8?B?TUxX?=

I have the firewall turned off on the bonus room and the File/print sharing
turned on. I can see the bonuse machine from the office and can see the
office from the bonus machine. Cannot access the printer from the bonus