Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 'Back Button (Arrow)' Puzzle ?

Reply
Thread Tools

'Back Button (Arrow)' Puzzle ?

 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Dave said:
>
> > I wasn't talking about alt-left which still only takes you back one page
> > at a time. I was talking about using the mouse to activate the drop-down
> > next to the back button, at which point you can choose to jump back
> > several pages in a single step, which *does* get around the problem that
> > occurs when a site destroys the standard back button behaviour by
> > redirecting a page behind the scenes.

>
> Dave:
>
> I never even noticed that 'drop-down' next to the back button (
> Thank you for telling me about it !
>
> Well, I tried it, and unfortunately, it only shows the very first page
> of my site *if* I progress to see the detail page I was complainig about .
> The only way back *then* is to the very first page of my site. (ala
> Chrome).
>


Then you're still not understanding what your looking at. Even Chrome
allows me to step back 1, 2, 3 or more previous pages that I choose. It
may well say mesaeastpark.com on each of the choices, but believe me,
they are not the first page of your site.

--
Pete Ives
Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mel Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2010
Peter said:

> Then you're still not understanding what your looking at. Even Chrome
> allows me to step back 1, 2, 3 or more previous pages that I choose. It
> may well say mesaeastpark.com on each of the choices, but believe me,
> they are not the first page of your site.
>



Peter:

Since I've now changed the off-site url's to those I *can* back-button
(I did this last nite at 10:30 MDT) , it would be quite difficult to now
revert to the 'faulty' ones for testing.

The next time I get a 'faulty' Exclusive, I'll give it another try.

Thanks for the comments

-Mel Smith


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Segall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2010
"123Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"David Segall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> "Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Beauregard said:
>>>
>>>> After a quick glance, I'd guess that your Back button problem is due to
>>>> the fact that your entire site is enclosed in frames.
>>>
>>> Most of the external sites work properly -- so Frame use should not be
>>>the problem.
>>> Also, I use zoneedit.com for translating my site from
>>>www.mesaeastpark.com to ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296.
>>>
>>> My pages have *no frames* (I don't even know how to *make* a frame --
>>>yet ) )

>>
>> I think that you have told ZoneEdit to "cloak" your site so that
>> visitors will see "www.mesaeastpark.com" as the URL in the browser
>> header instead of "ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296/some_page.html". ZoneEdit
>> does this by introducing an invisible frame.
>>
>> It's not relevant to your question but you should also be aware that
>> visitors who attempt to bookmark some_page will actually be book
>> marking the first page.

>
>Very user ~un~friendly .... So you're looking through the properties, you
>see one you like, you bookmark it to show your spouse later, but when you
>click the bookmark in your 'favourites' later, you have to start on 'page
>zero'.


Exactly. You have to decide between asking ZoneEdit merely to redirect
a site to a different URL or to ask it to pretend that the redirected
site has the same URL as the requested site. If you choose the latter
then every page of the redirected site has an identical URL which is
the one you asked Zoneedit to redirect.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mel Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2010
David said:

> Exactly. You have to decide between asking ZoneEdit merely to redirect
> a site to a different URL or to ask it to pretend that the redirected
> site has the same URL as the requested site. If you choose the latter
> then every page of the redirected site has an identical URL which is
> the one you asked Zoneedit to redirect.


David:

Instead of asking viewers to enter www.mesaeastpark.com, you suggest
that I instruct them to enter ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296 ??

I get enough visitors. With your method I'd get none !

-Mel Smith


 
Reply With Quote
 
David Segall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2010
"Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>David said:
>
>> Exactly. You have to decide between asking ZoneEdit merely to redirect
>> a site to a different URL or to ask it to pretend that the redirected
>> site has the same URL as the requested site. If you choose the latter
>> then every page of the redirected site has an identical URL which is
>> the one you asked Zoneedit to redirect.

>
>David:
>
> Instead of asking viewers to enter www.mesaeastpark.com, you suggest
>that I instruct them to enter ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296 ??
>
> I get enough visitors. With your method I'd get none !


I have not been clear. You should continue to ask ZoneEdit to redirect
<www.mesaeastpark.com> to <ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296>. If you untick
the box marked "Cloak" then the URL displayed in the browser and the
URL that a visitor bookmarks will be the actual URL. If you tick the
box marked "Cloak" then every page of your web site will be displayed
in a frame created by ZoneEdit and will have <www.mesaeastpark.com> as
its URL. The only reason for ticking the box marked "Cloak" is that
you don't want to reveal the actual URL.

Given your number of visitors I don't think that revealing the real
server and port number will deter anyone and I suggest you simply
untick "Cloak".
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mel Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2010
David said:

> I have not been clear. You should continue to ask ZoneEdit to redirect
> <www.mesaeastpark.com> to <ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296>. If you untick
> the box marked "Cloak" then the URL displayed in the browser and the
> URL that a visitor bookmarks will be the actual URL. If you tick the
> box marked "Cloak" then every page of your web site will be displayed
> in a frame created by ZoneEdit and will have <www.mesaeastpark.com> as
> its URL. The only reason for ticking the box marked "Cloak" is that
> you don't want to reveal the actual URL.
>
> Given your number of visitors I don't think that revealing the real
> server and port number will deter anyone and I suggest you simply
> untick "Cloak".


David:

That's a good idea. I'll try doing that in the next little while.

(btw, is there a chance that my audience (older people like myself)
would be confused by what they see changing ?? My usual viewers probably
don't bookmark anyway ??? )

Thanks for the suggestion !

-Mel


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mel Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2010
I said:

> David:
>
> That's a good idea. I'll try doing that in the next little while.
>
> (btw, is there a chance that my audience (older people like myself)
> would be confused by what they see changing ?? My usual viewers probably
> don't bookmark anyway ??? )
>
> Thanks for the suggestion !
>
> -Mel
>
>


David:

I 'uncloaked' a few minutes ago. It might take a while to go into
effect. We'll see what happens.

Thank you for the suggestion.

-Mel


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2010
Mel Smith wrote:
> I 'uncloaked' a few minutes ago. It might take a while to go into
> effect. We'll see what happens.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.


Do you host this site on your own server? If so, just change the server
name to www.mesaeastpark.com. If not, it is Apache, just rewrite the URL
in an .htaccess file

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mel Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2010
Jonathan said:
> Do you host this site on your own server?


Yes, I use Apache 2.2.10 on an older Dell Desktop beside me in my home
/office (former spare bedroom )

If so, just change the server
> name to www.mesaeastpark.com. If not, it is Apache, just rewrite the URL
> in an .htaccess file


I'll look at that later to day to see what transpires (ZoneEdit says it
takes 'a while' for changes to my site to ber implemented/ propagated).

Thanks for the suggestion:

-Mel Smith


 
Reply With Quote
 
David Segall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2010
"Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I said:
>
>> David:
>>
>> That's a good idea. I'll try doing that in the next little while.
>>
>> (btw, is there a chance that my audience (older people like myself)
>> would be confused by what they see changing ??


I don't think anybody takes any notice of the URL displayed by their
browser.
> My usual viewers probably
>> don't bookmark anyway ??? )
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion !
>>
>> -Mel
>>
>>

>
>David:
>
> I 'uncloaked' a few minutes ago. It might take a while to go into
>effect. We'll see what happens.
>


I have just visited and your site is now uncloaked.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Can we get rid of? S.Rodgers Firefox 9 12-14-2005 11:15 AM
Home networking puzzle?!? =?Utf-8?B?Qm9ya28=?= Wireless Networking 3 01-25-2005 06:49 AM
A NS puzzle:) Brad Snow Firefox 6 09-03-2004 04:54 AM
A puzzle to puzzle you sk A+ Certification 1 07-17-2004 05:19 PM
PUZZLE Getting DropDownList Index of Matching Value Earl Teigrob ASP .Net 3 08-06-2003 09:41 PM



Advertisments