Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 'Back Button (Arrow)' Puzzle ?

'Back Button (Arrow)' Puzzle ?

Mel Smith

Dave said:

> Terrible frame designs notwithstanding, you do realise that your back
> button also acts as a dropdown allowing you to go back several pages in
> one go?
>
> No need to close the browser/window !
>
> (At least it does by default in IE and Firefox, and can be made to do so
> in Opera. No idea about Safari/Chrome).

Hi Dave:

No, I did *not* know about the alt+left key stroke to take me back a
screen-at-a-time.

But its good to know. Thank you

Unfortunately, after getting to the stage where I'm bounnced out of the
frame, even alt+left doesn't work in getting me back -- bit its strange that
Chrome takes me back to the very first page of my site skipping all the
intervening pages. The other browsers don't go anywhere.

-Mel

Dave

Mel Smith wrote:
> Dave said:
>
>> Terrible frame designs notwithstanding, you do realise that your back
>> button also acts as a dropdown allowing you to go back several pages in
>> one go?
>>
>> No need to close the browser/window !
>>
>> (At least it does by default in IE and Firefox, and can be made to do so
>> in Opera. No idea about Safari/Chrome).

> Hi Dave:
>
> No, I did *not* know about the alt+left key stroke to take me back a
> screen-at-a-time.
>
> But its good to know. Thank you
>
> Unfortunately, after getting to the stage where I'm bounnced out of the
> frame, even alt+left doesn't work in getting me back -- bit its strange that
> Chrome takes me back to the very first page of my site skipping all the
> intervening pages. The other browsers don't go anywhere.

I wasn't talking about alt-left which still only takes you back one page
at a time. I was talking about using the mouse to activate the drop-down
next to the back button, at which point you can choose to jump back
several pages in a single step, which *does* get around the problem that
occurs when a site destroys the standard back button behaviour by
redirecting a page behind the scenes.

Mel Smith

Dave said:

> I wasn't talking about alt-left which still only takes you back one page
> at a time. I was talking about using the mouse to activate the drop-down
> next to the back button, at which point you can choose to jump back
> several pages in a single step, which *does* get around the problem that
> occurs when a site destroys the standard back button behaviour by
> redirecting a page behind the scenes.

Dave:

I never even noticed that 'drop-down' next to the back button (
Thank you for telling me about it !

Well, I tried it, and unfortunately, it only shows the very first page
of my site *if* I progress to see the detail page I was complainig about .
The only way back *then* is to the very first page of my site. (ala
Chrome).

But thanks for the tip anyway -- I wonder if I should be arrested for
trying to design web pages

In a further note, on this Monday nite at 10:30pm , I'm going to try to
eliminate the problem by turning my back on it and producing a pointer to a
different site containing the same info.

-Mel

Mel Smith

Hi folks:

I changed my approach and now I can get those 'Exclusive' Listings to
display differently (but correctly) !! I use a *different* external site
with essentially the same info, and I now can use the back button
successfully.

To Dave:

> Well, I tried it, and unfortunately, it only shows the very first page
> of my site *if* I progress to see the detail page I was complainig about .

No, I was wrong again (at least for IE7): Altho it *shows* in the
dropdown that I can go back to the very 1st page of the drilling down
process, I really cannot go anywhere ?

> The only way back *then* is to the very first page of my site. (ala
> Chrome).

Thanks to everyone for the guidance and pointers provided here -- Jeez, I'm
ignorant of so many things in 'browser-world' !

-Mel Smith

rf

"Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave said:
>
>> I wasn't talking about alt-left which still only takes you back one page
>> at a time. I was talking about using the mouse to activate the drop-down
>> next to the back button, at which point you can choose to jump back
>> several pages in a single step, which *does* get around the problem that
>> occurs when a site destroys the standard back button behaviour by
>> redirecting a page behind the scenes.

> Dave:
>
> I never even noticed that 'drop-down' next to the back button ( Thank
> you for telling me about it !
>
> Well, I tried it, and unfortunately, it only shows the very first page
> of my site *if* I progress to see the detail page I was complainig about .
> The only way back *then* is to the very first page of my site. (ala
> Chrome).

Ah, the beauty of frames

David Segall

"Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Beauregard said:
>
>> After a quick glance, I'd guess that your Back button problem is due to
>> the fact that your entire site is enclosed in frames.

> Most of the external sites work properly -- so Frame use should not be
>the problem.
> Also, I use zoneedit.com for translating my site from
>www.mesaeastpark.com to ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296.
>
> My pages have *no frames* (I don't even know how to *make* a frame --
>yet ) )

I think that you have told ZoneEdit to "cloak" your site so that
visitors will see "www.mesaeastpark.com" as the URL in the browser
header instead of "ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296/some_page.html". ZoneEdit
does this by introducing an invisible frame.

It's not relevant to your question but you should also be aware that
visitors who attempt to bookmark some_page will actually be book
marking the first page.

123Jim

"David Segall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Beauregard said:
>>
>>> After a quick glance, I'd guess that your Back button problem is due to
>>> the fact that your entire site is enclosed in frames.

>> Most of the external sites work properly -- so Frame use should not be
>>the problem.
>> Also, I use zoneedit.com for translating my site from
>>www.mesaeastpark.com to ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296.
>>
>> My pages have *no frames* (I don't even know how to *make* a frame --
>>yet ) )

> I think that you have told ZoneEdit to "cloak" your site so that
> visitors will see "www.mesaeastpark.com" as the URL in the browser
> header instead of "ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296/some_page.html". ZoneEdit
> does this by introducing an invisible frame.
>
> It's not relevant to your question but you should also be aware that
> visitors who attempt to bookmark some_page will actually be book
> marking the first page.

Very user ~un~friendly .... So you're looking through the properties, you
see one you like, you bookmark it to show your spouse later, but when you
click the bookmark in your 'favourites' later, you have to start on 'page
zero'.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mel Smith wrote:

> I changed my approach and now I can get those 'Exclusive' Listings to
> display differently (but correctly) !! I use a *different* external
> site with essentially the same info, and I now can use the back
> button successfully.

Morning, Mel ... here's something else for you to chew on. <g>

The page that lists the three columns of houses for sale, in the yellow
boxes and where the X007241 is down in the left column, is in a
div#listings, and only a couple hundred pixels high. There is a scroll
bar over at the right. Some visitors may not notice that scroll bar and
think there is only one house (in each column) for sale.

My recommendation would be to eliminate the constrained height of
#listings and just let the items scroll naturally, using the whole
browser viewport.

Frames ... absolute positioning ... small text size ...

--
-bts

Jonathan N. Little

Mel Smith wrote:
> Also, I use zoneedit.com for translating my site from
> www.mesaeastpark.com to ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296.
>
> My pages have*no frames* (I don't even know how to*make* a frame --
> yet ) )

Where you realize it or not you are using frames for some really lame
url redirection, a quick peek at the source reveals the ugly truth.

<HTML><HEAD>
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="Senior's Mobile Home Park in Arizona">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="">
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET border=0 rows="100%,*" frameborder="no" marginleft=0
margintop=0 marginright=0 marginbottom=0>
<frame src="http://ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296" scrolling=auto
frameborder="no" border=0 noresize>
<frame topmargin="0" marginwidth=0 scrolling=no marginheight=0
frameborder="no" border=0 noresize>
</FRAMESET>
<NOFRAMES><BODY><P>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Senior's Mobile Home Park in Arizona</BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<A HREF="http://ww2.mesaeastpark.com:4296">Click here to go to
www.mesaeastpark.com</A></BODY></NOFRAMES>
</HTML>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Mel Smith

Beau said:

> The page that lists the three columns of houses for sale, in the yellow
> boxes and where the X007241 is down in the left column, is in a
> div#listings, and only a couple hundred pixels high. There is a scroll
> bar over at the right. Some visitors may not notice that scroll bar and
> think there is only one house (in each column) for sale.
>
> My recommendation would be to eliminate the constrained height of
> #listings and just let the items scroll naturally, using the whole
> browser viewport.
>
> Frames ... absolute positioning ... small text size ...

Thanks Beau -- I'll chew on your suggestion over the next several days.

-Mel

What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Can we get rid of? S.Rodgers Firefox 9 12-14-2005 11:15 AM
Home networking puzzle?!? =?Utf-8?B?Qm9ya28=?= Wireless Networking 3 01-25-2005 06:49 AM
A NS puzzle:) Brad Snow Firefox 6 09-03-2004 04:54 AM
A puzzle to puzzle you sk A+ Certification 1 07-17-2004 05:19 PM
PUZZLE Getting DropDownList Index of Matching Value Earl Teigrob ASP .Net 3 08-06-2003 09:41 PM

Advertisments