Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Curse of the jumping cursor.

Curse of the jumping cursor.

Fred

Every now and then when typing a document (office, word, word processor) or
email (outlook express/windows live/thunderbird) I look at the screen to
find the cursor has gone to a previous part of whatever I am typing. It
seems to happen on both my computers (XP) and on a couple of computers with
windows 7 I know of. Anyone know the solution?

VanguardLH

Fred wrote:

> Every now and then when typing a document (office, word, word processor) or
> email (outlook express/windows live/thunderbird) I look at the screen to
> find the cursor has gone to a previous part of whatever I am typing. It
> seems to happen on both my computers (XP) and on a couple of computers with
> windows 7 I know of. Anyone know the solution?

You never mentioned what type of computer you are using. My guess is
you are using a laptop and need to disable the touchpad because the
heels of your palms are coming too close. Some laptops have a button
along the edge of the touchpad to disable it.

OldGringo38

On 7/25/2010 1:15 AM Just to please that super-ego, Fred wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> Every now and then when typing a document (office, word, word processor) or
> email (outlook express/windows live/thunderbird) I look at the screen to
> find the cursor has gone to a previous part of whatever I am typing. It
> seems to happen on both my computers (XP) and on a couple of computers with
> windows 7 I know of. Anyone know the solution?

Somewhere in XP there is a mouse feature to have it do something just
like yours is doing. Probably find it in the control panel under mouse.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Meat Plow

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:45:35 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

> On 7/25/2010 1:15 AM Just to please that super-ego, Fred wrote the
> following tidbit of information:
>> Every now and then when typing a document (office, word, word
>> processor) or email (outlook express/windows live/thunderbird) I look
>> at the screen to find the cursor has gone to a previous part of
>> whatever I am typing. It seems to happen on both my computers (XP) and
>> on a couple of computers with windows 7 I know of. Anyone know the
>> solution?
>>

> Somewhere in XP there is a mouse feature to have it do something just
> like yours is doing. Probably find it in the control panel under mouse.

It's called "hide the cursor while typing"

OldGringo38

On 7/25/2010 2:08 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:45:35 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
>
>> On 7/25/2010 1:15 AM Just to please that super-ego, Fred wrote the
>> following tidbit of information:
>>> Every now and then when typing a document (office, word, word
>>> processor) or email (outlook express/windows live/thunderbird) I look
>>> at the screen to find the cursor has gone to a previous part of
>>> whatever I am typing. It seems to happen on both my computers (XP) and
>>> on a couple of computers with windows 7 I know of. Anyone know the
>>> solution?
>>>

>> Somewhere in XP there is a mouse feature to have it do something just
>> like yours is doing. Probably find it in the control panel under mouse.

> It's called "hide the cursor while typing"

I seen it but never paid it much attention, seems like there were a
couple of options to have the cursor do a few tricks. ??

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com

Peter Foldes

In your mouse properties is Snap To and Hide Pointer while Typing selected?

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i2gkq0$8mu$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Every now and then when typing a document (office, word, word processor) or email
> (outlook express/windows live/thunderbird) I look at the screen to find the cursor
> has gone to a previous part of whatever I am typing. It seems to happen on both my
> computers (XP) and on a couple of computers with windows 7 I know of. Anyone know
> the solution?

Fred

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i2gmrq$5lf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fred wrote:
>
>> Every now and then when typing a document (office, word, word processor)
>> or
>> email (outlook express/windows live/thunderbird) I look at the screen to
>> find the cursor has gone to a previous part of whatever I am typing. It
>> seems to happen on both my computers (XP) and on a couple of computers
>> with
>> windows 7 I know of. Anyone know the solution?

> You never mentioned what type of computer you are using. My guess is
> you are using a laptop and need to disable the touchpad because the
> heels of your palms are coming too close. Some laptops have a button
> along the edge of the touchpad to disable it.

Yes in all cases the computers were laptops, but to clarify, I am talking
about the blinking 'I' that appears when typing; not the mouse controlled
cursor. so disabling touch pad doesn't help as the blinking thingyamejig
isn't controlled by the mouse..

Meat Plow

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:13:27 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

> On 7/25/2010 2:08 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
> following tidbit of information:
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:45:35 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
>>
>>> On 7/25/2010 1:15 AM Just to please that super-ego, Fred wrote the
>>> following tidbit of information:
>>>>

>>> Somewhere in XP there is a mouse feature to have it do something just
>>> like yours is doing. Probably find it in the control panel under
>>> mouse.

>> It's called "hide the cursor while typing"

> I seen it but never paid it much attention, seems like there were a
> couple of options to have the cursor do a few tricks. ??

Only other trick is to locate it by hitting the CTRL button. I'm not sure
I want my cursor to do much more than that.

OldGringo38

On 7/26/2010 9:22 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:13:27 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
>
>> On 7/25/2010 2:08 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
>> following tidbit of information:

>>> It's called "hide the cursor while typing"

>> I seen it but never paid it much attention, seems like there were a
>> couple of options to have the cursor do a few tricks. ??

> Only other trick is to locate it by hitting the CTRL button. I'm not sure
> I want my cursor to do much more than that.

Amen: If it does what I want it to, that's enough. <g>

--

Fred wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Fred wrote:
>>
>>> Every now and then when typing a document (office, word, word
>>> processor) or email (outlook express/windows live/thunderbird) I
>>> look at the screen to find the cursor has gone to a previous part
>>> of whatever I am typing.

>> My guess is you are using a laptop and need to disable the touchpad
>> because the heels of your palms are coming too close. Some laptops
>> have a button along the edge of the touchpad to disable it.

> Yes in all cases the computers were laptops, but to clarify, I am
> talking about the blinking 'I' that appears when typing; not the
> mouse controlled cursor. so disabling touch pad doesn't help as the
> blinking thingyamejig isn't controlled by the mouse..

Since when? If you move the mouse cursor to a different part of the
document and click there, the insert point ("I" cursor) doesn't move
there? If it doesn't then the primary button function of your mouse or
touchpad is broken. Your palm heels getting too close (for a touchpad
configured with high sensitivity) or even barely touching the pad could
emulate a mouse click. You know that clicking the mouse cursor at
different spots in a document will move the insert point around.

So did you even try disabling the touchpad to see if the problem went
away? If was not evident in your reply that you tried the suggestion.