Bobby Johnson

And how is all this related to a 64-bit OS?

This is a 64-bit OS group, not a 32-bit OS group.

On 2010-07-22 18:44, Jason S wrote:
> Hello all. I'm having some trouble with a game running on NT-based
> windows OS's. It keeps throwing a general protection fault from a DLL.
> Is there any way to solve this issue so the game will run on modern
> windows OS's? I can get the game to run on Windows 98SE. So far I've
> failed to get it to run on Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro. I'm
> currently trying to get a copy of Windows 2000 and Windows ME so I can
> try it with those two systems.
>
> Compatibility mode failed. I can't figure out if there's a way to get it
> to work or if it can even work at all. If it helps, the game is Greg
> Norman Ultimate Challenge Golf (1995).

Bobby Johnson

If you are running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit I would guess the
game/program is not compatible. In fact it sounds as though it will not
run on any NT system. You can download VMware Player version 3.1, which
is a FREE program, and install Win98 in a Virtual Machine.

If it was published in 1995 it may have been compiled as an 8-bit
program for Win 3 and/or DOS. If it is 8-bit it will absolutely not run
on any NT based OS.

On 2010-07-23 11:53, Jason S wrote:
> On 2010-07-23 07:32:26 -0400, Bobby Johnson said:
>
>> And how is all this related to a 64-bit OS?
>>
>> This is a 64-bit OS group, not a 32-bit OS group.
>>

>> On 2010-07-22 18:44, Jason S wrote:
>>> Hello all. I'm having some trouble with a game running on NT-based
>>> windows OS's. It keeps throwing a general protection fault from a DLL.
>>> Is there any way to solve this issue so the game will run on modern
>>> windows OS's? I can get the game to run on Windows 98SE. So far I've
>>> failed to get it to run on Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro. I'm
>>> currently trying to get a copy of Windows 2000 and Windows ME so I can
>>> try it with those two systems.
>>>
>>> Compatibility mode failed. I can't figure out if there's a way to get it
>>> to work or if it can even work at all. If it helps, the game is Greg
>>> Norman Ultimate Challenge Golf (1995).

> Must have forgot to mention that Windows 7 is running on an x64 system.

Bob I

Jason S wrote:

> On 2010-07-23 15:20:52 -0400, Bobby Johnson said:
>
>> If you are running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit I would guess the
>> game/program is not compatible. In fact it sounds as though it will
>> not run on any NT system. You can download VMware Player version 3.1,
>> which is a FREE program, and install Win98 in a Virtual Machine.
>>
>> If it was published in 1995 it may have been compiled as an 8-bit
>> program for Win 3 and/or DOS. If it is 8-bit it will absolutely not
>> run on any NT based OS.

>>> Must have forgot to mention that Windows 7 is running on an x64 system.

> Definitely not 8-bit... It was pretty advanced at the time (3-D
> animation with real images and graphics... Probably 16-bit). I'm setting
> up a Windows 98 box that I'll use for now. Just going to experiment for
> now, maybe even use my Windows 3.1 floppies if I can find them

Most likely in order to provide those "pretty advanced" images and
graphics the software was manipulating the hardware directly. That is a
no-no in NT. You may get it to work in a VM box, but you won't get some
program like that to fly directly in NT.