Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Name of driver for external hard drive?

Name of driver for external hard drive?

Matty F

In 2007 I bought a 300GB hard drive that plugs into a USB port.
This was formatted in the shop for use on a Win 98SEsystem and
presumably drivers were loaded for it. It works perfectly.

I now wish to plug this drive into the USB port of a similar Win98SE
machine, but it's asking for drivers. Quite probably there was a CD
supplied with drivers on it, but people move my things around all the
time and forget where they have put them. So I don't have the CD. Or
maybe the shop never gave it to me and I forgeot to ask for it.

How do I find out the names of the drivers it is asking for?
The drivers I need are obviously on this machine. How can I find them?
I have searched this machine for all files including system files
created or modified or accessed, around the date the drive was
installed, with no result.

The external drive has the name Navigator on the case. I suspect that
is the name of the case and there is an unknown brand of drive
inside.I suppose I could take it apart and try to find drivers for
that drive. But surely it's just a generic USB drive.
And to remind you, obviously the drivers I need are on this machine,
and I just need to know the names. Presumably I can copy them, or is
there some horrible installation process?

I need to get 50GB of files off the other machine urgently. It has
USB1 and large flash drives will not work.

David Empson

Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In 2007 I bought a 300GB hard drive that plugs into a USB port.
> This was formatted in the shop for use on a Win 98SEsystem and
> presumably drivers were loaded for it. It works perfectly.
>
> I now wish to plug this drive into the USB port of a similar Win98SE
> machine, but it's asking for drivers. Quite probably there was a CD
> supplied with drivers on it, but people move my things around all the
> time and forget where they have put them. So I don't have the CD. Or
> maybe the shop never gave it to me and I forgeot to ask for it.
>
> How do I find out the names of the drivers it is asking for?

I can't answer that question, but what you probably is need a generic
"USB Mass Storage" driver for Windows 98. This was a standard feature in
later editions of Windows.

A Google search might provide some clues as to the filename of the
drivers. "Windows 98 USB mass storage driver" (without the quotes)
brings up some promising leads.

--
David Empson

Matty F

On Jul 23, 2:36 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
> Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In 2007 I bought a 300GB hard drive that plugs into a USB port.
> > This was formatted in the shop for use on a Win 98SEsystem and
> > presumably drivers were loaded for it. It works perfectly.

> > I now wish to plug this drive into the USB port of a similar Win98SE
> > machine, but it's asking for drivers. Quite probably there was a CD
> > supplied with drivers on it, but people move my things around all the
> > time and forget where they have put them. So I don't have the CD. Or
> > maybe the shop never gave it to me and I forgeot to ask for it.

> > How do I find out the names of the drivers it is asking for?

> I can't answer that question, but what you probably is need a generic
> "USB Mass Storage" driver for Windows 98. This was a standard feature in
> later editions of Windows.
>
> A Google search might provide some clues as to the filename of the
> drivers. "Windows 98 USB mass storage driver" (without the quotes)
> brings up some promising leads.

I have downloaded nusb33e.exe from here and it works! Thanks very
much.
http://www.technical-assistance.co.u...ge-drivers.php

Matty F

On Jul 23, 2:49 pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:05:16 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >In 2007 I bought a 300GB hard drive that plugs into a USB port.
> >This was formatted in the shop for use on a Win 98SEsystem and
> >presumably drivers were loaded for it. It works perfectly.

> >I now wish to plug this drive into the USB port of a similar Win98SE
> >machine, but it's asking for drivers. Quite probably there was a CD
> >supplied with drivers on it, but people move my things around all the
> >time and forget where they have put them. So I don't have the CD. Or
> >maybe the shop never gave it to me and I forgeot to ask for it.

> >How do I find out the names of the drivers it is asking for?
> >The drivers I need are obviously on this machine. How can I find them?
> >I have searched this machine for all files including system files
> >created or modified or accessed, around the date the drive was
> >installed, with no result.

> >The external drive has the name Navigator on the case. I suspect that
> >is the name of the case and there is an unknown brand of drive
> >inside.I suppose I could take it apart and try to find drivers for
> >that drive. But surely it's just a generic USB drive.
> >And to remind you, obviously the drivers I need are on this machine,
> >and I just need to know the names. Presumably I can copy them, or is
> >there some horrible installation process?

> >I need to get 50GB of files off the other machine urgently. It has
> >USB1 and large flash drives will not work.

> Move up to XP it has Full support of USB, 98se only justs support USB..

XP and more recent versions of Windows will not work on that tiny
machine. It's old but it works and does the job.

Matty F

On Jul 23, 7:10 pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:56:44 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Jul 23, 2:49 pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Move up to XP it has Full support of USB, 98se only justs support USB..

> >XP and more recent versions of Windows will not work on that tiny
> >machine. It's old but it works and does the job.

> A fried of mine with a very old laptop, I have the same model, Runs NT,
> he added some more ram 128megs and runs XP on it, I think the CPU is a
> PII

This is a 500 Mhz PC with 256 megs of memory. Using Win98SE it manages
to record 3 frames per second of video from 8 cameras.
I'm glad I don't have to check the 1500 hours of video that I am
copying off it.

Richard

Suzie Wong wrote:

>> This is a 500 Mhz PC with 256 megs of memory. Using Win98SE it manages
>> to record 3 frames per second of video from 8 cameras.
>> I'm glad I don't have to check the 1500 hours of video that I am
>> copying off it.

> That PC will run XP with no problems..

I guess you dont consider runs like **** to be a probelm then? Because
256 megs makes XP do that.

Cima

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:33:53 +1200, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> That PC will run XP with no problems..

>>I guess you dont consider runs like **** to be a probelm then? Because
>>256 megs makes XP do that.

>128 megs is recommended for XP..

Yeah, the original release with no service packs... from 9 YEARS AGO. Try
patching a system like that up-to-date and you may as well wait an hour or 3 to
boot to the desktop.

David Empson

Cima <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:33:53 +1200, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>I guess you dont consider runs like **** to be a probelm then? Because
> >>256 megs makes XP do that.

> >128 megs is recommended for XP..

> Yeah, the original release with no service packs... from 9 YEARS AGO. Try
> patching a system like that up-to-date and you may as well wait an hour or
> 3 to boot to the desktop.

I find that XP (SP3) works fine with 512 MB. It was starting to get
sluggish when I was running SP2 on 256 MB with several
applications/windows open (and none particularly heavy duty as far as
memory requirements).

128 MB? It is to laugh.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Enkidu

On 24/07/10 12:58, David Empson wrote:
> Cima<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> 128 megs is recommended for XP..

>> Yeah, the original release with no service packs... from 9 YEARS AGO. Try
>> patching a system like that up-to-date and you may as well wait an hour or
>> 3 to boot to the desktop.

> I find that XP (SP3) works fine with 512 MB. It was starting to get
> sluggish when I was running SP2 on 256 MB with several
> applications/windows open (and none particularly heavy duty as far as
> memory requirements).
>
> 128 MB? It is to laugh.

The SPs don't add much to the requirements. Vanilla XP would have been
slow with a few apps running in 128MB.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

David Empson

Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 24/07/10 12:58, David Empson wrote:
> > Cima<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Yeah, the original release with no service packs... from 9 YEARS AGO. Try
> >> patching a system like that up-to-date and you may as well wait an hour or
> >> 3 to boot to the desktop.

> > I find that XP (SP3) works fine with 512 MB. It was starting to get
> > sluggish when I was running SP2 on 256 MB with several
> > applications/windows open (and none particularly heavy duty as far as
> > memory requirements).
> >
> > 128 MB? It is to laugh.
> >

> The SPs don't add much to the requirements.

Agreed. I was referring more to the timeline of when I had various
amounts of memory in relation to which service pack was current at the
time.

> Vanilla XP would have been slow with a few apps running in 128MB.

It is likely that other applications have grown in their requirements
over time. Office 2007 is presumably much more memory hungry than Office
2000, to take one example. Also likely to be more things running in the
background.

Therefore 128 MB might have been enough to run XP without too many
problems back in 2001, for simple uses, but nine years later you're less
likely to get away with it.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)