Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > general network problem

general network problem

mickey

Hi All
I am trying to setup a wireless network in my home. I have done this before
but this time I can not get anything working.
I have an xp desktop attached to a belkin wireless router. I also have a
vista laptop with in intel wireless nic.
I have setup the router and can attach to that network but niether computer
can see the other. Each can ping itself and the router but not each other.
I have turned all firewalls off (temporaily) and the results is the same. A
friend said that he thought that vista's file nad printer sharing service is
not working properly. How can I provr or disprove this theory.

Thanks
MM

Don Phillipson

"mickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i2a49a$3s9$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am trying to setup a wireless network in my home. I have done this

before
> but this time I can not get anything working.
> I have an xp desktop attached to a belkin wireless router. I also have a
> vista laptop with in intel wireless nic.
> I have setup the router and can attach to that network but niether

computer
> can see the other. Each can ping itself and the router but not each other.
> I have turned all firewalls off (temporaily) and the results is the same.

> friend said that he thought that vista's file nad printer sharing service

is
> not working properly. How can I provr or disprove this theory.

You need to check more systematic list of items to check
(e.g. folder sharing) and in which order.
http://www.ezlan.net/ will probably be helpful. Vista and
XP use different networking setup methods, I think, so you may need
first to select one and then make the other conform.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

mickey

I have followed all these steps and more but to no avail. As I said, the
connection to the network succeds but neither computer can see the other.
Mickey

news:i2an65$4td$(E-Mail Removed)...