Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop won't work when plugged into mains?

Laptop won't work when plugged into mains?

John Smith

Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
battery recharged and unplugged!?
Why?
Thanks.

Mike Easter

John Smith wrote:
> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
> battery recharged and unplugged!?

-1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
having it serviced by a capable repair person?

-2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
the LT or did it come from somewhere else?

--
Mike Easter

Jordon

John Smith wrote:
> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
> battery recharged and unplugged!?

It recharges the battery but it won't turn on when it's recharging?

Like Mike said... is the charger the one that came with the laptop?

--
Jordon

John Smith

"Mike Easter" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Smith wrote:
> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
> battery recharged and unplugged!?

-1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
having it serviced by a capable repair person?

-2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
the LT or did it come from somewhere else?
---------------------------------
My question is any ideas what could cause this. It used to function ok when
plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124

joevan

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:48:19 +0100, "John Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mike Easter" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>John Smith wrote:
>> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
>> battery recharged and unplugged!?

>-1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
>having it serviced by a capable repair person?
>
>-2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
>the LT or did it come from somewhere else?
>---------------------------------
>My question is any ideas what could cause this. It used to function ok when
>plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
>Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124

Will it run with the battery removed and the charger plugged in?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mike Easter" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>John Smith wrote:
>> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
>> battery recharged and unplugged!?

>-1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
>having it serviced by a capable repair person?
>
>-2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
>the LT or did it come from somewhere else?
>---------------------------------
>My question is any ideas what could cause this. It used to function ok when
>plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
>Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124

Will it run with the battery removed and the charger plugged in?

joevan

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:02:36 -0400, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Will it run with the battery removed and the charger plugged in?

There seems to be an echo here.

Mike Easter

John Smith wrote:

You need to turn on your WLM 'quote marks'. I don't have WLM, but if
the configuration is the same place as Win Mail, it is in Tools/
Options/ Send/ News sending format/ Plain text settings button/ right
under 'Automatically wrap text at xx' is a place to check Indent the
original text with >.

If you don't do that, I have to 'reconstruct' both of our remarks so
that we can tell what you said from what I said.

> "Mike Easter"
>> John Smith wrote:

>>> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok
>>> after battery recharged and unplugged!?

>> -1- Are you planning on fixing it yourself or leaving it like that or
>> having it serviced by a capable repair person?

> My question is any ideas what could cause this.

I understand your question, but if you aren't in a position to (really)
troubleshoot, then your options are very limited. It might be caused by
the mobo charging circuit. It might be caused by the ACPI system.

>> -2- What is the make and modelno of the LT - does the AC adapter match
>> the LT or did it come from somewhere else?

> It used to function ok
> when plugged in, now it doesn't. ..but is ok when unplugged.
> Its a Toshiba Equium u400 - 124

Here is a flow chart which you can follow

http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/battery.htm

Altho' the title of the chart is about battery not charging or short
battery life, it is actually useful for more than that.

You can see additional info by clicking on one of the boxes when you get
to an appropriate one. In your case you would start with - needs AC
adapter to boot No - life of battery too short No - AC adapter noisy No
- which takes you to the box which says - OS battery management active -
which we don't know the answer. Click on that box. It will teach you
something about ACPI.

This sentence pertains to your LT "All new laptops ship with ACPI
(Advanced Configuration Power Interface) which is a marriage between
BIOS routines that monitor board level charging and device activity, and
the operating system."

--
Mike Easter

ian field

"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:i27m7t$32s$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> John Smith wrote:
>> Laptop won't work when plugged into power socket but will work ok after
>> battery recharged and unplugged!?

> It recharges the battery but it won't turn on when it's recharging?
>
> Like Mike said... is the charger the one that came with the laptop?

At first glance this might seem like an irrelevant comparison, but my
rechargeable shaver has the option of 2 different chargers, one pushes in a
3rd pin on the power connector and allows use while charging, the other
option doesn't push in the pin and the shaver cuts out when the charger is
plugged in.

Check the charger power receptacle on the LT (shine a torch in to make sure)
to see if anything is there to detect the insertion of a power plug and
whether it bent, worn or jammed.

chuckcar

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:02:36 -0400, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Will it run with the battery removed and the charger plugged in?

> There seems to be an echo here.

High winds media again. Can't say I didn't tell you before.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )