Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problems accessing DCOM component

Problems accessing DCOM component

Oleg Skopincevs

Hi folks,

I am stuck on a problem of creating an object via DCOM from a webservice
component. Code:

Dim sl As LogonSrv.SysLogon = CreateObject("LogonSrv.SysLogon", LogonServer)

Is there some kind of security involved in accessing DCOM components? If
yes, what kind? Is it configurable?

Will appritiate any help.

Cheers,
Oleg

Jan Tielens

If you didn't do anything special, you'll probably use the ASPNET account to
run your web services. So you must check if this account has enough rights
to access the DCOM object.

To make sure it involves security (or related) problems, I usually try to
run the service with an admin account. BUT DO NOT FORGET TO RESTORE THE
ORIGINAL SETTINGS!

--
Greetz

Jan Tielens
________________________________

"Oleg Skopincevs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> I am stuck on a problem of creating an object via DCOM from a

webservice
> component. Code:
>
> Dim sl As LogonSrv.SysLogon = CreateObject("LogonSrv.SysLogon",

LogonServer)

> Is there some kind of security involved in accessing DCOM components?

If
> yes, what kind? Is it configurable?
>
> Will appritiate any help.
>
> Cheers,
> Oleg

Oleg Skopincevs

Hi Jan,

Thanks for reply. What service is it you are referring to? There is one
called 'ASP.NET State Service' which was not running at all. And it's the
only service set to run under ASPNET account.

Oleg

"Jan Tielens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you didn't do anything special, you'll probably use the ASPNET account

> run your web services. So you must check if this account has enough rights
> to access the DCOM object.
>
> To make sure it involves security (or related) problems, I usually try to
> run the service with an admin account. BUT DO NOT FORGET TO RESTORE THE
> ORIGINAL SETTINGS!

George Ter-Saakov

Yes. If you want to access DCOM object.
You must take security into consideration.

As i understand your DCOM object is a standalone exe.
You need to run dcomcnfg.exe and give ASP.NET account permissions to start
and access permissions.

You can do it 2 ways.
1. Per APPID just find it in the list of Applications and Click "Properties"
then tab Security
2. Global. Just go and change it in tab "Default Security"

Also in Identity tab you can specify the account this DCOM object will run
under.
You can use "Launching user" if you do not need anything special. Then your
EXE will run under ASP.NEt account.

Georger.