Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compact, lightweight, ten times zoom AND viewfinder in one camera

Compact, lightweight, ten times zoom AND viewfinder in one camera

Robert Montgomery

Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
lightweight cameras with viewfinders.

But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
compact
lightweight
has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
has a viewfinder.

I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
because of all the light and glare both in shooting mode and playback
mode.

It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
by this problem.

I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.

I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
less frequent on the new cameras!

Robert

David J Taylor

> On 2010-07-21 07:00:07 -0700, Robert Montgomery
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
>> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?
>>
>> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and
>> compact lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>>
>> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
>> • compact
>> • lightweight
>> • has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
>> • has a viewfinder.
>>
>> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
>> because of all the light and glare – both in shooting mode and playback
>> mode.
>>
>> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
>> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
>> by this problem.
>>
>> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>>
>> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
>> less frequent on the new cameras!
>>
>> Robert

> Well, if you will settle for 5X "optical zoom" there is the Canon G11.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

... or if you settle for less lightweight and less compact many DSLRs can
be used with an 11x zoom (18-200mm) and have an optical viewfinder.

David

Rich

On Jul 21, 10:00*am, Robert Montgomery <info-bl...@northern-data-
tech.net> wrote:
> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and *a viewfinder?
>
> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
> lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>
> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
> compact
> lightweight
> has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
> has a viewfinder.
>
> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
> because of all the light and glare both in shooting mode and playback
> mode.
>
> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
> by this problem.
>
> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>
> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
> less frequent on the new cameras!
>
> Robert

Check out the latest P&S offerings on Dpreview.

www.dpreview.com

ray

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:00:07 +0000, Robert Montgomery wrote:

> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?
>
> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
> lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>
> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics: •
> compact
> • lightweight
> • has at least a seven times zoom lens AND • has a viewfinder.
>
> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
> because of all the light and glare – both in shooting mode and playback
> mode.
>
> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
> by this problem.
>
> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>
> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
> less frequent on the new cameras!
>
> Robert

Look at an EVF. And keep in mind that 'compact' and 'long zoom' are, to a
large extent, contradictory.

Irwell

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:00:07 GMT, Robert Montgomery wrote:

> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

The LCD is a viewfinder, you can always use a collapsible
hood to obviate the sun wash-out and glare.

Dave Cohen

Robert Montgomery wrote:
> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?
>
> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
> lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>
> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
> compact
> lightweight
> has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
> has a viewfinder.
>
> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
> because of all the light and glare both in shooting mode and playback
> mode.
>
> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
> by this problem.

My guess is they are (at least I am), but short of starting your own
camera company what's to be done. I have to assume the stuff on the
shelves does well in the market. Once you get away from the shirt pocket
sizes there are some choices less expensive than G11 or DSLR.

> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>
> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
> less frequent on the new cameras!
>
> Robert

J. Clarke

On 7/21/2010 10:00 AM, Robert Montgomery wrote:
> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?
>
> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
> lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>
> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
> compact
> lightweight
> has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
> has a viewfinder.
>
> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
> because of all the light and glare both in shooting mode and playback
> mode.
>
> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
> by this problem.
>
> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>
> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
> less frequent on the new cameras!

Forget "clerks in photography stores". Go down to Best Buy and look at
what's on display. They should have at least two models with what you
are looking for and may have others.

Or if you are in or near NYC, go down to B&H.

Robert Montgomery

Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-07-21 07:00:07 -0700, Robert Montgomery
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
>> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?
>>
>> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and
>> compact lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>>
>> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
>> • compact
>> • lightweight
>> • has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
>> • has a viewfinder.
>>
>> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
>> because of all the light and glare – both in shooting mode and
>> playback mode.
>>
>> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
>> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be
>> bothered by this problem.
>>
>> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>>
>> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
>> less frequent on the new cameras!
>>
>> Robert

> Well, if you will settle for 5X "optical zoom" there is the Canon G11.

Thanks, Savage.

I recently bought a Samsung PL-150, which has a five times zoom. I
bought it for the front monitor, which allows for self-portraits, but I
find that it doesn't zoom enough and it lacks a viewfinder.

Robert

Robert Montgomery

Irwell wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:00:07 GMT, Robert Montgomery wrote:
>
>> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
>> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

> The LCD is a viewfinder, you can always use a collapsible
> hood to obviate the sun wash-out and glare.

Thanks, Irwell.

Would a collapsible hood fit properly on all small digital cameras?

Robert

Robert Montgomery

Rich wrote:
> On Jul 21, 10:00 am, Robert Montgomery<info-bl...@northern-data-
> tech.net> wrote:

>> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
>> compact
>> lightweight
>> has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
>> has a viewfinder.

> Check out the latest P&S offerings on Dpreview.
>
> www.dpreview.com

Thanks.

Does anybody know of any offhand? I've already looked considerably at
http://www.photographyblog.com, but I can't find any.

Robert