Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Need help with Ipod.

Reply
Thread Tools

Need help with Ipod.

 
 
Julie Bove
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2010
My daughter's friend put a password on my daughter's Ipod Touch. My
daughter has no clue what the password is and of course, neither does the
friend. She attempted one too many times to figure it out and now the Ipod
is disabled.

I saw online how I can do something to restore it to factory settings but it
says she will lose everything. But I don't know exactly what this means.
Does this mean she will also lose everything in her Itunes and we have to
buy all the songs again? Or put them in from CD?

Thanks!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2010
Julie Bove wrote:
> My daughter's friend put a password on my daughter's Ipod Touch. My
> daughter has no clue what the password is and of course, neither does the
> friend. She attempted one too many times to figure it out and now the Ipod
> is disabled.
>
> I saw online how I can do something to restore it to factory settings but it
> says she will lose everything. But I don't know exactly what this means.
> Does this mean she will also lose everything in her Itunes and we have to
> buy all the songs again? Or put them in from CD?
>
> Thanks!
>
>


I think it means she'll lose everything currently in the iPod, but
not everything in iTunes. iTunes is your backup copy, and you'll be
restoring the state of the iPod with that information.

*******

The general theme to the answer to this problem, is to reset the iPod and
reload it from iTunes. I haven't included a link for the procedure to
do that, but like a lot of gadgets, it requires holding down a button
for an extended period of time, to get the device in the right mode.

In reading the manual, and a few web answers, I can also see reference
to two passcodes. One is a "restrict code", which appears to disable
individual functions of the iPod Touch. The second is a "Screen Lock"
code, which at first seemed to be pretty innocuous (it's actually
nasty).

If this is the Screen Lock code which has been applied, the claim in
one of these links, is that connecting the unit to the primary
computer, and having iTunes connect to it, would be enough to bypass
the screen lock. The idea is, if you're connecting the unit to the
primary or first computer it was used with, that would be considered
proof you're the owner. For this first attempt, you don't have to
restore it or anything, just try to use iTunes with it. After disconnecting
from iTunes, the screen should be open. Or, that is the claim.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ck-screen.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1350?viewlocale=en_US

If that doesn't do it, then you'd need to reset the iPod and restore
it from the information stored in iTunes. Now, if somehow you'd filled
the iPod with music content, and never synchronized it ever, then
your computer with the iTunes on it, isn't going to be of much use
to you. And you'd lose all the music. So not synchronizing the unit
occasionally, and using whatever backup schemes that Apple allows,
would be silly. I hope you've synced the thing recently, in case
something more than a mere contact with the primary computer is
required.

This section of the manual is most humorous. I think this is the
one you were referring to in your post...

"Erase data after ten failed passcode attempts:

Choose General > Passcode Lock, enter your passcode, and tap
Erase Data to turn it on.

After ten failed passcode attempts, your settings are reset
to their defaults and all your information and media on your
iPod touch is removed by overwriting the data stored on iPod touch.

Important: You canít use iPod touch while data is being overwritten.
This can take up to four hours or more, depending on the model and
storage capacity of your iPod touch."

Who makes this stuff up ? It sounds like something out of an
episode of "Mission Impossible" on TV.

Reading that section only emphasizes the importance of
syncing with the computer and iTunes. Then, when you need to restore
that hunk of junk, you haven't lost anything.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Julie Bove
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2010

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i26lvj$d3i$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> My daughter's friend put a password on my daughter's Ipod Touch. My
>> daughter has no clue what the password is and of course, neither does the
>> friend. She attempted one too many times to figure it out and now the
>> Ipod is disabled.
>>
>> I saw online how I can do something to restore it to factory settings but
>> it says she will lose everything. But I don't know exactly what this
>> means. Does this mean she will also lose everything in her Itunes and we
>> have to buy all the songs again? Or put them in from CD?
>>
>> Thanks!

>
> I think it means she'll lose everything currently in the iPod, but
> not everything in iTunes. iTunes is your backup copy, and you'll be
> restoring the state of the iPod with that information.
>

Oh... Then that's not a big deal then.
> *******
>
> The general theme to the answer to this problem, is to reset the iPod and
> reload it from iTunes. I haven't included a link for the procedure to
> do that, but like a lot of gadgets, it requires holding down a button
> for an extended period of time, to get the device in the right mode.
>
> In reading the manual, and a few web answers, I can also see reference
> to two passcodes. One is a "restrict code", which appears to disable
> individual functions of the iPod Touch. The second is a "Screen Lock"
> code, which at first seemed to be pretty innocuous (it's actually
> nasty).
>
> If this is the Screen Lock code which has been applied, the claim in
> one of these links, is that connecting the unit to the primary
> computer, and having iTunes connect to it, would be enough to bypass
> the screen lock. The idea is, if you're connecting the unit to the
> primary or first computer it was used with, that would be considered
> proof you're the owner. For this first attempt, you don't have to
> restore it or anything, just try to use iTunes with it. After
> disconnecting
> from iTunes, the screen should be open. Or, that is the claim.
>
> http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ck-screen.html
>
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1350?viewlocale=en_US
>
> If that doesn't do it, then you'd need to reset the iPod and restore
> it from the information stored in iTunes. Now, if somehow you'd filled
> the iPod with music content, and never synchronized it ever, then
> your computer with the iTunes on it, isn't going to be of much use
> to you. And you'd lose all the music. So not synchronizing the unit
> occasionally, and using whatever backup schemes that Apple allows,
> would be silly. I hope you've synced the thing recently, in case
> something more than a mere contact with the primary computer is
> required.
>
> This section of the manual is most humorous. I think this is the
> one you were referring to in your post...
>
> "Erase data after ten failed passcode attempts:
>
> Choose General > Passcode Lock, enter your passcode, and tap
> Erase Data to turn it on.
>
> After ten failed passcode attempts, your settings are reset
> to their defaults and all your information and media on your
> iPod touch is removed by overwriting the data stored on iPod touch.
>
> Important: You canít use iPod touch while data is being overwritten.
> This can take up to four hours or more, depending on the model and
> storage capacity of your iPod touch."
>
> Who makes this stuff up ? It sounds like something out of an
> episode of "Mission Impossible" on TV.
>
> Reading that section only emphasizes the importance of
> syncing with the computer and iTunes. Then, when you need to restore
> that hunk of junk, you haven't lost anything.
>
> Paul


Thanks!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Help, I am intermediate in Java...need help in follow case ElementX Java 9 10-01-2008 08:02 PM
Help Help. I really need some help with this =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= ASP .Net 3 01-31-2007 09:33 PM
re_---need help Network Adapters!!!! NEED HELP!!!! hedayatniac@gmail.com Computer Support 4 08-13-2006 01:03 AM
Need help! I need to add lead zeros to a textbox Teep ASP .Net 2 06-21-2004 01:04 PM
Please help!!! Need datagrid selection to fill textboxes...Need quick!! TN Bella ASP .Net 1 06-18-2004 01:31 AM



Advertisments