Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Transfering files over network, speed and Laptop performance? TIA.

Transfering files over network, speed and Laptop performance? TIA.

Mac

Hi,

I have a wireless network at home with 2 PC running XP Pro and one laptop
running XP home! My router is a D-Link DI-624 (54Mbps). It takes about 15-20
minutes to transfer a 1GB file from the laptop to the PC! Is this normal?
Also, While the transfer is in progress, my Laptop becomes very slow and it
takes for ever to respond to any command! Is this a problem or is it normal
as well? I am sorry if these are basic if not stupid questions! Thank you
very much.

DanR

Many things affect the quality of the wireless connection between the computers
and the wireless AP. At best you will get about half the rated speed of the
router moving data from one computer to another in the infrastructure mode. You
need to check the wireless connection of each computer to / from the router.
WinXP is very limited in telling you the quality of the signal. (signal strength
/ noise / etc) There are other utilities that will show you these figures.
Possibly utilities that came with your D-Link product but which you don't use
because WinXP doesn't require them. So you may have to overcome signal quality
issues. They arise from computer to router distance. Types of walls or other
structures that the signal must pass through and reflection issues.
And there are the antennas to think about. What type are they and might they be
in a wire cluttered area. Try doing your 1GB xfer with both computers and the
wireless router / AP in the same room very near each other and see if things
improve. That might tell you if you are having signal to machine problems when
they are in their normal locations.
I didn't do the math to see what 1GB xfer in 20 minutes is in bytes / bits per
second. Did you?
Computers slow down when they are working hard at one task. Depends on the
horsepower of you laptop and what all is running in the background.

Mac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a wireless network at home with 2 PC running XP Pro and one laptop
> running XP home! My router is a D-Link DI-624 (54Mbps). It takes about 15-20
> minutes to transfer a 1GB file from the laptop to the PC! Is this normal?
> Also, While the transfer is in progress, my Laptop becomes very slow and it
> takes for ever to respond to any command! Is this a problem or is it normal
> as well? I am sorry if these are basic if not stupid questions! Thank you
> very much.

=?Utf-8?B?TmlsbA==?=

In a perfect world a 1GigaByte file will take ~ 2 minutes 28 seconds to
transfer over a 54Megabit connection. (1,000,000,000 bytes x 8 =
8,000,000,000 bits; 8,000,000,000 bits / 54,000,000 bits = 148.148 seconds.)
If you calculate that your AVERAGE speed is closer to half the theoretical
speed you get 307.692 seconds or 5 minutes 7 seconds. So, based on your time
of 15 minutes to transfer 1GigaByte would work out to 8,888,888.889 bits per
second or 8.89Mbits/second which would lead me to believe that your wireless
card in your laptop is 802.11b (11Mbit theoretical or about 5.5Mbit average).
If that is true, your average of 8.89Mbit/second is actually pretty good
under most circumstances. If you want more bandwidth you would have to
upgrade your laptop to 802.11g. Your router is capable of 54Mbit/second but
I think your laptop is running 11Mbit/second.

--
Nill

"Mac" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a wireless network at home with 2 PC running XP Pro and one laptop
> running XP home! My router is a D-Link DI-624 (54Mbps). It takes about 15-20
> minutes to transfer a 1GB file from the laptop to the PC! Is this normal?
> Also, While the transfer is in progress, my Laptop becomes very slow and it
> takes for ever to respond to any command! Is this a problem or is it normal
> as well? I am sorry if these are basic if not stupid questions! Thank you
> very much.

Lisa

Thanks,

I just wanted to know what is the norms! When I do such transfers, The 2
computers are always next to each other!

"DanR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsgaPe.1533$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Many things affect the quality of the wireless connection between the
> computers
> and the wireless AP. At best you will get about half the rated speed of
> the
> router moving data from one computer to another in the infrastructure
> mode. You
> need to check the wireless connection of each computer to / from the
> router.
> WinXP is very limited in telling you the quality of the signal. (signal
> strength
> / noise / etc) There are other utilities that will show you these figures.
> Possibly utilities that came with your D-Link product but which you don't
> use
> because WinXP doesn't require them. So you may have to overcome signal
> quality
> issues. They arise from computer to router distance. Types of walls or
> other
> structures that the signal must pass through and reflection issues.
> And there are the antennas to think about. What type are they and might
> they be
> in a wire cluttered area. Try doing your 1GB xfer with both computers and
> the
> wireless router / AP in the same room very near each other and see if
> things
> improve. That might tell you if you are having signal to machine problems
> when
> they are in their normal locations.
> I didn't do the math to see what 1GB xfer in 20 minutes is in bytes / bits
> per
> second. Did you?
> Computers slow down when they are working hard at one task. Depends on the
> horsepower of you laptop and what all is running in the background.
>
> Mac wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a wireless network at home with 2 PC running XP Pro and one laptop
>> running XP home! My router is a D-Link DI-624 (54Mbps). It takes about
>> 15-20
>> minutes to transfer a 1GB file from the laptop to the PC! Is this normal?
>> Also, While the transfer is in progress, my Laptop becomes very slow and
>> it
>> takes for ever to respond to any command! Is this a problem or is it
>> normal
>> as well? I am sorry if these are basic if not stupid questions! Thank you
>> very much.

Lisa

Thanks Nill,

My laptop actually have 802.11g! That is why I was concerned about the
transfer speed. Any thought why the Laptop slows down during the transfer
or is this normal too? I have a P4, 3 GHZ, 1GB system with windows XP pro!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...