Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Get 'em while you can (Panasonic G1's blown out)

Reply
Thread Tools

Get 'em while you can (Panasonic G1's blown out)

 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2010
New Panasonic G1's being sold off at Henry's for $449.99. And the best
thing? No crappy Chinese 14-42mm kit lenses. The kits still come
with the 14-45mm. Considering a separate body and lens will sell for
more used on Ebay, that's a good deal. No more excuses, P&S'rs!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2010
On Jul 19, 10:15*pm, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > New Panasonic G1's being sold off at Henry's for $449.99. And the best
> > thing? *No crappy Chinese 14-42mm kit lenses. *The kits still come
> > with the 14-45mm. *Considering a separate body and lens will sell for
> > more used on Ebay, that's a good deal. *No more excuses, P&S'rs!

>
> Yeah but you have to get the red one <g>.
> $693 US black with 14-42.
>
> Who has a good price with the 20mm pancake in black?


Best price? Buy a G1 and kit lens, keep or dump the kit lens. Buy a
GF1 + 20mm, sell the GF1 on Ebay. I think you'd come out in positive
territory.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2010
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:56:44 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>> On Jul 19, 10:15 pm, Paul Furman<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> RichA wrote:
>>>> New Panasonic G1's being sold off at Henry's for $449.99. And the best
>>>> thing? No crappy Chinese 14-42mm kit lenses. The kits still come
>>>> with the 14-45mm. Considering a separate body and lens will sell for
>>>> more used on Ebay, that's a good deal. No more excuses, P&S'rs!
>>>
>>> Yeah but you have to get the red one<g>.
>>> $693 US black with 14-42.
>>>
>>> Who has a good price with the 20mm pancake in black?

>>
>> Best price? Buy a G1 and kit lens, keep or dump the kit lens. Buy a
>> GF1 + 20mm, sell the GF1 on Ebay. I think you'd come out in positive
>> territory.

>
>GF1 looks like a better deal if you want a camera with the pancake.



G1 is a better deal if you want an EVF. I'm happy with my GF1 but
there are times when I would prefer a G1 simply because it has an EVF.

Of course I would prefer an SLR with a good reflex viewfinder to
either, but that isn't what we are discussing here. If it was, I
would suggest an Olympus E-620, which is not really that much bigger
than a Panasonic G1 but is an SLR.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2010
"Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> RichA wrote:
>> New Panasonic G1's being sold off at Henry's for $449.99. And the best
>> thing? No crappy Chinese 14-42mm kit lenses. The kits still come
>> with the 14-45mm. Considering a separate body and lens will sell for
>> more used on Ebay, that's a good deal. No more excuses, P&S'rs!

>
> Yeah but you have to get the red one <g>.
> $693 US black with 14-42.



They must be trying to get red of them.

Trying to look red faced at that comment
--
Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2010
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:22:42 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>> G1 is a better deal if you want an EVF. I'm happy with my GF1 but
>> there are times when I would prefer a G1 simply because it has an EVF.

>
>Well there's the GH1 which has the video that the G1 lacks but then
>that's $1,200 with a huge kit lens Both seem too bulky to interest
>me as a DSLR alternative.



The G2 has HD video, but it's only 720p.


>I would be tempted to get the GF1 but the
>video is only 720p and yeah the add-on viewfinder brings the price back
>up, plus at $800 with the pancake lens it's still not $450 but is damn
>near as compact as the shirt-pocket sized LX2. So I haven't got any of them.



The GF1 is even bulkier with the 14-45mm. The 20mm is a lovely lens
but you obviously cannot use it for everything. I carry both lenses
all the time, but would never claim they were pocket sized.

The new LX5 looks good with a 24-90mm (35mm equivalent) f/2-2.8 Leica
branded lens.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lexar JumpDrive 2.0 Pro -- Blown & Can't Format Won Dampchin Computer Support 2 02-19-2006 10:40 AM
Power pack blown? joevan Computer Support 25 10-22-2004 10:34 PM
Blown something. Maskman Computer Support 1 09-10-2004 01:27 AM
stray voltage causing blown-out switch ports? Zaphod Beeblebrox Cisco 4 01-23-2004 06:13 PM
Hard Drive blown up? Mr.SlippyFist Computer Support 9 11-10-2003 05:52 AM



Advertisments