Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Dead pixel or not??

Re: Dead pixel or not??

chuckcar

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I downloaded a wallpaper for my Windows 7 desktop. It's mostly a black
> background (it's a picture of the big red eye of the HAL-9000 computer
> from 2001).
>
> Towards the upper left corner of my screen, I see what looks to be a
> dead pixel, one little white spot, as near as I can tell, the size of
> a pixel. If it'sa dead pixel, it's the first one I've experienced in
> three LCD monitors.
>
> I got somewhat annoyed as this is a month old and expensive monitor.
> So I went online and searched dead pixels. I found a couple of
> utilities that let you check for them. When I used them and turned the
> screen all black, or any other color, the little white spot
> disappeared.
>
> Okay, good. So I thought maybe it's an artifact in the picture itself,
> so I opened it with Paint Shop Pro figuring if it was there, I could
> just touch it up. It doesn't show up in PSP. But it's still there on
> my desktop.
>
> Doesn't appear to be an artifact, doesn't appear to be a dead pixel.
> Anyone
> have an idea what could be causing it? Of course, one little white
> spot on a black screen and my eye is drawn to it continually.. I could
> change wallpaper, since I see it nowhere else, it's just that this is
> a cool one. Thanks.

What type of monitor are we talking about here? You never say. What is
the minimum number of failed pixels covered by replacement under
warrenty? CRT's don't *have* that problem BTW. Never have and never
will.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:39:06 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> I downloaded a wallpaper for my Windows 7 desktop. It's mostly a
>>> black background (it's a picture of the big red eye of the HAL-9000
>>> computer from 2001).
>>>
>>> Towards the upper left corner of my screen, I see what looks to be a
>>> dead pixel, one little white spot, as near as I can tell, the size
>>> of a pixel. If it'sa dead pixel, it's the first one I've experienced
>>> in three LCD monitors.
>>>
>>> I got somewhat annoyed as this is a month old and expensive monitor.
>>> So I went online and searched dead pixels. I found a couple of
>>> utilities that let you check for them. When I used them and turned
>>> the screen all black, or any other color, the little white spot
>>> disappeared.
>>>
>>> Okay, good. So I thought maybe it's an artifact in the picture
>>> itself, so I opened it with Paint Shop Pro figuring if it was there,
>>> I could just touch it up. It doesn't show up in PSP. But it's still
>>> there on my desktop.
>>>
>>> Doesn't appear to be an artifact, doesn't appear to be a dead
>>> pixel. Anyone
>>> have an idea what could be causing it? Of course, one little white
>>> spot on a black screen and my eye is drawn to it continually.. I
>>> could change wallpaper, since I see it nowhere else, it's just that
>>> this is a cool one. Thanks.

>>What type of monitor are we talking about here? You never say. What is
>>the minimum number of failed pixels covered by replacement under
>>warrenty? CRT's don't *have* that problem BTW. Never have and never
>>will.

> Sorry, I forgot to mention the monitor's specs. It's a Dell U-2410
> Ultra Sharp, 24" monitor, about a month old.

Dell. A $64 monitor. About 1/6th what I'd pay for a monitor. Check it with
different single colour backgrounds. Pure red, pure blue and pure green.
Then try white.

I extremely doubt they'll think of replacing it with less than 5 bad pixels.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

alan

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:39:06 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>>>What type of monitor are we talking about here? You never say. What is
>>>the minimum number of failed pixels covered by replacement under
>>>warrenty? CRT's don't *have* that problem BTW. Never have and never
>>>will.

>> Sorry, I forgot to mention the monitor's specs. It's a Dell U-2410
>> Ultra Sharp, 24" monitor, about a month old.
>>

> Dell. A $64 monitor. About 1/6th what I'd pay for a monitor. . . .

$64??!! No ****?!? I figured somewhere between $500 - $600:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...DgA#freeship=1
You *gotta* tell me where you shop!

Tony

Chuck used to take calls from rank noobs but got fired when he phoned some of the rank noobs back asking for some computer literacy advice.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the job for potty mouth,

Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of understandability

Aardvark

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:39:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> warrenty

WTF?????

Aardvark

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:22:26 -0700, alan wrote:

> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>> news(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Sorry, I forgot to mention the monitor's specs. It's a Dell U-2410
>>> Ultra Sharp, 24" monitor, about a month old.
>>>

>> Dell. A $64 monitor. About 1/6th what I'd pay for a monitor. . . .

> $64??!! No ****?!? I figured somewhere between $500 - $600:
> http://www.google.com/products/catal...refox-a&q=Dell

+U2410
+Ultrasharp&cid=2081534988541421315&ei=oc9DTPPuIp7 ejATpp93OCA&sa=button&ved=0CAkQgggwADgA#freeship=1
> You *gotta* tell me where you shop!

Tards 'R Us

Bucky Breeder

Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> via
news:i247ph$k4n$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:39:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>
>> warrenty

> WTF?????

w - a - r - r - e - n - t - y ...

W - A - R - R - E - N - T - Y !

It's like "Inglorious Basterds",
you self-endulgiant grammer-gnat-zee.

HTH.

PS : I *NEVER* buy the additional warrenty packages
from Sears, because if it lasts past the 90-days
standerd, I got my money's wurf.

HTH2

Oh yeah... The OP should just check the LCD screen for boogers
and/or spit bubbles, especially if his girlfriend tried to
stick her finger in his hiney crack whilst he was busy typing.

<WHEW!> It sure feels good to have just saved the world.
Now, back to the BP Gulf of Mexico oil well issues...

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and I am voting to confirm Kagen...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10699253

.... because that ghay-ass court needs
someone who can actually play softball
if they're ever going to win the trophy!

You should not view the world in terms
and finding acceptance of them as such.

I could help you with that... but...
I really just don't like you that much.