Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT - Different tones from Camera Raw to Photoshop CS5

OT - Different tones from Camera Raw to Photoshop CS5

Peter

"celcius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i242f9$gc7$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4c4255b9$0$5513$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> "celcius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i1t67s$o42$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi everyone!
>>>
>>> Sorry to disturb the group for a Photoshop problem which I couldn't
>>> resolve in the proper forum. I'm hoping that someone here might be able
>>> to help me.
>>>
>>> I've searched for a solution everywhere, but can't find any. The "Help
>>> file
>>> in Photoshop or Camera Raw doesn't seem to address this problem. I've
>>> pre-ordered a book (Scott Kelby's), but it's only coming out at the end
>>> of
>>> the month.
>>>
>>> My Problem:
>>> When I'm in Camera Raw, colours have a certain tone and vividness.
>>> When I open the same photo in Photoshop from Camera Raw, it's not quite
>>> the
>>> same, maybe a bit lighter...
>>>
>>> Where I'm at:
>>> Camera Raw is set at: Adobe RGB 1998.
>>> Photoshop is set at: Adobe RGB 1998, US web coated (SWOPO) v2, dot gain
>>> gray
>>> 20%, dot gain spot 20%, RGB, CMYK, gray, OFF.
>>> I'm also using Spyder3 Pro.
>>> Should I set Photoshop to "Monitor RGB, etc." (the same profile as my
>>> screen - LG)? Or should I leave it to Adobe RGB?
>>> When I print from Photoshop, I use "Photoshop manages colour" and use as
>>> printer profile the same as my screen- LG. I also use "relative
>>> colorimetric".
>>>
>>> Any suggestions, please?
>>>

>> Some thoughts:
>> Do you have the latest version of Camera Raw?
>> It sounds as if you CR profile is not the same as you PS color profile
>> because some setting in PS is fighting your monitor profile.
>> How accurate is your printing color.
>>
>> Have you tried setting everything to sRGB.
>>
>> Also, have you tried the Adobe forums. They are quite helpful.
>>
>> Let us know
>>

> Hi Peter!
>
> Thank you for answering. Sorry for not acknowledging sooner. I was out of
> town.
>
> I do have the latest version of Camera Raw: 6.1
>
> My printing on a new Epson Stylus Photo 1400 is a tad darker that on the
> screen. I installed the machine yesterday and haven't had time to read
> even part of the manual.
> I haven't tried sRGB because the colours are not has rich and even though
> it might settle the problem, I wouldn't be satisfied with the results. Was
> there a particular reason for trying it out?
> However, I should point out that I always change the camera calibration
> from "Adobe Standard" to "Camera Standard". Perhaps I shouldn't touch
> that? I noticed that on some photos, doing so "warms up" and darkens the
> pic a wee bit . It seems to me that if I leave it at "Adobe Standard",
> there's less of a difference. What do you think? (On the Canon, I have a
> [...]

I never edit in sRGB. You are right, it is a much smaller color gamut that
RGB.
Is your camera image RGB?

Do I understand this correctly.
Your onscreen color in Camera Raw is different than your on screen setting
in PS. Assuming that you are viewing your monitor in the same ambient light,
is your color space Adobe RGB for both ACR and PS?
First lets get raw to match PS.
Europe uses different settings than North America, so let's standardize.
In PS make you color settings = "monitor color" This will automatically set
your working settings.
Turn off all color management policies
Your conversion options should be Adobe (ACE); and "relative colormetrics"
activate the three check boxes below.

Do not check any of the advance controls at this time.

If this does not solve the initial problem, your issue is beyond my
knowledge and I suggest you try the Adobe forums.

--
Peter