Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help!!

Help!!

=?Utf-8?B?RG9uYWxkIFNoZWx0b24=?=

I have a DSl with a Belkin router (wireless) that serves 2 computers.
I have not had any trouble at all until now.
On one computer, I can access the internet using my wife's XP user account.
When I log off and change to my user acct, the wireless network is not found.
These are the troubleshooting steps I have taken:

1. Virus scan--no virus
2. Device manager to see if wireless card is enabled, it is.
3. Reboot the modem and the router.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Moved the computer closer to the router--no luck.
6. Normal startup-all drivers and services start at startup.

What should I do further to diagnose and fix the prob? Both user accts are
administrative.

Thanks

Don

David {MVP}

Have you disabled the SSID on your Belkin Router? It sounds as if you have
and this is causing the problem.

From your description the problem is that in your account either the
wireless card is configured wrong, or you have the wrong security settings.
You may want to look at each screen, and write down the values of the
wireless network card under your wife's account, then compare them to the
values in your account. Something in the "Security or Authentication"
sections is configured differently in your account.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

"Donald Shelton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a DSl with a Belkin router (wireless) that serves 2 computers.
> I have not had any trouble at all until now.
> On one computer, I can access the internet using my wife's XP user
> account.
> When I log off and change to my user acct, the wireless network is not
> found.
> These are the troubleshooting steps I have taken:
>
> 1. Virus scan--no virus
> 2. Device manager to see if wireless card is enabled, it is.
> 3. Reboot the modem and the router.
> 4. Reboot the computer.
> 5. Moved the computer closer to the router--no luck.
> 6. Normal startup-all drivers and services start at startup.
>
> What should I do further to diagnose and fix the prob? Both user accts
> are
> administrative.
>
> Thanks
>
> Don

=?Utf-8?B?RG9uYWxkIFNoZWx0b24=?=

Last night I again physically took the laptop close to the router, and it did
pick up the wireless signal. I then took it back to its table, and the
signal was "very good".
So I think I'll move the modem and router to the same room as my laptop.

Thanks

Don