Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7, searching for all files containing a text string

Windows 7, searching for all files containing a text string

Matty F

Windows 98SE and maybe other versions of Windows has a Find function
so that all files containing a text string can be found.
The folders to be searched can be specified, and the date range and
file types. I have used this function often. The way to use it is very
simple and obvious.

Windows 7 seems to have dispensed with this useful tool. Looking at
the Help is no help at all. The process for finding the files is very
very clumsy. What were Microsoft thinking? By using Google I discover
that there is a Content search option. Why is this not in the MS Help
for Windows 7?

Using Google to find out how to do this simple function takes me to a
number of sites where gormless MS Support Engineers misunderstand the
question completely.

Please will Microsoft sack the people who keep changing things that
were working perfectly well.

Squiggle

On 16/07/2010 7:23 p.m., Matty F threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> Windows 98SE and maybe other versions of Windows has a Find function
> so that all files containing a text string can be found.
> The folders to be searched can be specified, and the date range and
> file types. I have used this function often. The way to use it is very
> simple and obvious.
>
> Windows 7 seems to have dispensed with this useful tool. Looking at
> the Help is no help at all. The process for finding the files is very
> very clumsy. What were Microsoft thinking? By using Google I discover
> that there is a Content search option. Why is this not in the MS Help
> for Windows 7?
>
> Using Google to find out how to do this simple function takes me to a
> number of sites where gormless MS Support Engineers misunderstand the
> question completely.
>
> Please will Microsoft sack the people who keep changing things that
> were working perfectly well.

Hold down the windows key and press F.

type the term in the box at top right, and adjust options in the drop
down from that text-box.

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:45:18 +1200, in message <4c402a34$(E-Mail Removed)>
Squiggle wrote:

> On 16/07/2010 7:23 p.m., Matty F threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> > Windows 98SE and maybe other versions of Windows has a Find function
> > so that all files containing a text string can be found.
> > The folders to be searched can be specified, and the date range and
> > file types. I have used this function often. The way to use it is very
> > simple and obvious.
> >
> > Windows 7 seems to have dispensed with this useful tool. Looking at
> > the Help is no help at all. The process for finding the files is very
> > very clumsy. What were Microsoft thinking? By using Google I discover
> > that there is a Content search option. Why is this not in the MS Help
> > for Windows 7?
> >
> > Using Google to find out how to do this simple function takes me to a
> > number of sites where gormless MS Support Engineers misunderstand the
> > question completely.
> >
> > Please will Microsoft sack the people who keep changing things that
> > were working perfectly well.

> Hold down the windows key and press F.
>
> type the term in the box at top right, and adjust options in the drop
> down from that text-box.

A. There is a Windows setting which can affect whether this searches
file contents.

[Windows Explorer] : Tools >> Folder Options >> Search

What to search
( ) In indexed locations, search file names and contents.
In non-indexed locations, search file names only.
( ) Always search file names and contents (this might take
several minutes)

B. There are also 3rd party tools, if Windows doesn't have the search
tool which the OP wants.

Here are some of the 3rd party tools
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...ol-for-windows
http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...ol+for+Windows

--
Regards
Ralph

Matty F

On Jul 17, 11:38 am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Windows 98SE and maybe other versions of Windows has a Find function
> > so that all files containing a text string can be found.
> > The folders to be searched can be specified, and the date range and
> > file types. I have used this function often. The way to use it is very
> > simple and obvious.

> > Windows 7 seems to have dispensed with this useful tool. Looking at
> > the Help is no help at all. The process for finding the files is very
> > very clumsy. What were Microsoft thinking? By using Google I discover
> > that there is a Content search option. Why is this not in the MS Help
> > for Windows 7?

> > Using Google to find out how to do this simple function takes me to a
> > number of sites where gormless MS Support Engineers misunderstand the
> > question completely.

> > Please will Microsoft sack the people who keep changing things that
> > were working perfectly well.

> Don't know what you're on about.
>
> CTRL-F=File Search, same as always, except the search engine is much
> improved. Type your file spec and go. The Date Modified control is right
> there, and other options (for example, search in sub-folders) can be
> specified per folder or as the system default from Explorer's Tools | Folder
> Options | Search.
>
> F1=Help, same as always, but with improved capability to find exactly what
> you want. Typing "search" or "file search" in the text box brings up all the
> information you need.

So what happened to the excellent GUI interface of early Windows
sysems? Win98 has all of the search options in an easy to understand
form, including a search for files containing a specified string.
Now you are tellling me that users, rather than selecting from a menu,
have to know to press Ctrl-F, and to search for text have to know to
type 'Content:"string"'. They never had to know that before.
So Windows is moving away from a proper GUI interface and back to a
command line interface. I'm glad somebody told us. We may as well go
and get Linux - it's cheaper and faster.

P.S. I'm not talking about myself as a user here. I can learn any old
crap that OS suppliers push out. I'm talking about non-technical users
who are are regularly forced to upgrade to later versions of Windows,
and Microsoft making unnecessary changes.

Gib Bogle

Matty F wrote:
> Windows 98SE and maybe other versions of Windows has a Find function
> so that all files containing a text string can be found.
> The folders to be searched can be specified, and the date range and
> file types. I have used this function often. The way to use it is very
> simple and obvious.

There must be something screwed up about that Search capability, because it
doesn't work any more on my XP machine at work. It used to work. The IT guys
don't know what's happened to it.

Matty F

On Jul 17, 3:30 pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 17/07/2010 1:59 p.m., Matty F wrote:
>
> > So what happened to the excellent GUI interface of early Windows
> > sysems? Win98 has all of the search options in an easy to understand
> > form, including a search for files containing a specified string.
> > Now you are tellling me that users, rather than selecting from a menu,
> > have to know to press Ctrl-F, and to search for text have to know to
> > type 'Content:"string"'. They never had to know that before.

> They still don't now. Just have explorer open and type the search
> string in the box at the top right - it will automagically search within
> files as well as by name.

Are you saying that when I am searching for a file with "the" in the
name, I will also get 100,000 files that contain the word "the"?
Sorry but that's not what I want. I don't want the OS making
assumptions about what I want done - I want to tell it what I want,
with the fewest keystrokes possible.

Matty F

On Jul 17, 2:29 pm, Suzie Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:49:26 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:45:18 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Squiggle wrote:

> >> On 16/07/2010 7:23 p.m., Matty F threw some characters down the intarwebs:

> >> Hold down the windows key and press F.

> >> type the term in the box at top right, and adjust options in the drop
> >> down from that text-box.

> >A. There is a Windows setting which can affect whether this searches
> > file contents.

> > [Windows Explorer] : Tools >> Folder Options >> Search

> > What to search
> > ( ) In indexed locations, search file names and contents.
> > In non-indexed locations, search file names only.
> > ( ) Always search file names and contents (this might take
> > several minutes)

> >B. There are also 3rd party tools, if Windows doesn't have the search
> > tool which the OP wants.

> > Here are some of the 3rd party tools
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...grep-tool-for-...
> > http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...ol+for+Windows

> PowerDesk does it all, and a lot more.
>
> http://www.avanquest.com/USA/softwar...k-pro-8-138876
>
> This was reviewed in many Mags that this was the bits the MS left out of
> Windows..

Why should we have to use 3rd party software to do what old versions
of Windows used to do perfectly well?

Matty F

On Jul 17, 4:41 pm, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> > Windows 98SE and maybe other versions of Windows has a Find function
> > so that all files containing a text string can be found.
> > The folders to be searched can be specified, and the date range and
> > file types. I have used this function often. The way to use it is very
> > simple and obvious.

> There must be something screwed up about that Search capability, because it
> doesn't work any more on my XP machine at work. It used to work. The IT guys
> don't know what's happened to it.

There used to be a Windows program called something like Findfast.
It used to scream around all the time looking at all your files and
making an index to all the words in them in case you wanted to search
for those words. It was so dreadful that we always used to delete
Findfast.
I put files in sensible folders and I am happy to search a whole
folder for a given string if I have to. It's fast enough. For example
to search all of the CRU emails for "Salinger" takes 4 seconds for the
first search and 1 second after that.

Sweetpea

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:07:40 +1200, EMB wrote:

> Windows 7's indexing works well, and makes it nigh on instantaneous. And
> if you're stupid enough to search for all the files containing 'the'
> you're probably really too stupid to be near a PC

One of the first things I do with a new desktop is kill as much
automation as possible - including any indexing.

Sweetpea

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:43:48 -0700, Matty F wrote:

> Why should we have to use 3rd party software to do what old versions of
> Windows used to do perfectly well?

Because Micro$oft has "innovated" and "improved" the filesystem searching
capability to the point where it is useless?